Roman Sadovsky | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Roman Sadovsky

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think Skate Canada has internal criteria for senior international assignments. Keegan seems to have met that and so he got a Skate Canada host spot outright. Notice Nicolas didn't get one, despite being a junior silver world medallist and on the national team in a higher spot than Keegan. He doesn't appear to have met the benchmark. Or if he has, there are still doubts about his ability to deliver/if his recovery is complete. The fact is that at Junior Worlds the only guy who delivered completely was Conrad. So both Nic and Roman have huge question marks over them.

Roman however has proven himself to be able to do reasonably well on the JGP: he's medalled 5 times in 6 seasons and made the JGPF twice. He's gone to junior Worlds three times but never finished higher than 13th. He almost won a medal at the Youth Olympic Games. He would have support if he decided to spend his final year on the JGP and try to win the biggest medals. He rushed out of the junior level nationally and made the national team as a senior once. Apart from that it's been a challenging time for him.

The one thing that concerns me about him is the fact that his growth spurt affected the stability of his jumps. Apparently injuries have also played a role. He needs time to get his technique stable. He needs time to consider learning new quads. It's better to spend time doing that while you're a junior than when you're a senior with more expectations. I don't think of him having spent too much time already on the JGP. IMO it's all time he spent developing, with more opportunities than he'd have had as a senior with Patrick, Liam, Elladj, Kevin, and Nam taking up the GP spots. Even if he does do the JGP he should have opportunities to skate as a senior this season. He won't be stuck as a junior all season long.

But again, it's all up to him and his team. If Tracey thinks he's good to go senior then he will go and likely won't look back.

Awesome analysis, Mango, as always. 👍

And thank you for the link. The quality is so much better and I love his Bring him Home :love: I wish he could make it into his new SP. Of his current three exhibition numbers it is my favorite. He should ask uncle Patrick how to turn an EX into a succsessful SP. His best SP used to be exhibition numbers, like Elegie or Black Bird.

That is a marvelous idea! :love: I also consider his revival of "Bring Him Home" to be the best of three, and it would make a stunning SP. It's too late for this season, but someone who follows Roman on Instagram should suggest this to him. In addition to the great examples you've listed for Patrick, I'm enamoured with Adam Rippon's "Arrival of the Birds / O (Fly On)" long program, which was once an exhibition set to just the Coldplay song.

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
He thinks so too. :laugh:

He uploaded the vid while I was asleep, so thanks for posting the link. His exaggerated cries of anguish are :rofl: . I want to pat him on the shoulder and be like :console: . Ah, Roman is just so endearing, even when's frustrated. :luv17:

@Siberia: Did you know, Adam is keeping that FS for olympic season! :love:

Yes! 😀

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
WOO HOO, Roman won the short program at the 2017 Minto Summer Skate!!! :jump: :rock: :dance3:

His new SP is magnificent :love: :love: :love: ; I'm no longer sad that he ditched "Exogenesis"!

Senior Men SP Group 3 Warm-Up (I'm missing several seconds near the end because my free screen recorder has a time limit of 5 minutes, and it takes time to reset the recording): [Dead link]

Last edited:

loretta007

Rinkside
looooove it!! glad it's not another warhorse:clapper: so he put the 3a in the second half of the program, I wonder if he would change that layout if he's doing JGP:drama:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Here are the SP protocols; I love seeing Roman's name next to "Rank 1" ❤️ : http://www.skateontario.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/17SeniorMenSP1DRO.pdf

glad it's not another warhorse:clapper:

Thank you figure skating gods for answering my prayers! :bow:

loretta007, remember when you suggested that Roman might be doing something more dramatic for his SP, and I speculated that he could be doing something more character-driven? We were both right! :)

so he put the 3a in the second half of the program

I thought it was extremely strange that he placed his weakest jump in the 2nd half. :confused:

Last edited:

Kuan

Final Flight
I loved it too. :love: I got up at 3am to watch the last group of men SP and went to bed right after. It was worth it. His SP fit him very well and his costume is gorgeous. <3 He is always dressed so well. Can't wait for his free skate

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In case anyone was curious, the SP music is Peter Gundry's "The Vampire Masquerade": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUNOfNad59Q

So that means Roman is the most irresistibly cute vampire I've ever seen. ;) Instead of an otherworldly prince, he's now a vampire prince. :biggrin:

His SP fit him very well and his costume is gorgeous. <3 He is always dressed so well.

👍 If Roman's choreographer can make me love "The Vampire Masquerade" more than "Exogenesis", then s/he did a terrific job. And red really suits him.

Last edited:

csparkles

Rinkside
In case anyone was curious, the SP music is Peter Gundry's "The Vampire Masquerade": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUNOfNad59Q

So that means Roman is the most irresistibly cute vampire I've ever seen. ;) Instead of an otherworldly prince, he's now a vampire prince. :biggrin:

:2thumbs: If Roman's choreographer can make me love "The Vampire Masquerade" more than "Exogenesis", then s/he did a terrific job. And red really suits him.

Romans choreographers for the short are Carol Lane & Juris Razgulajevs:)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i loved seeing Roman skate with such confidence and power. Despite the obvious talent he has, I have been very cautious with Roman because of his ongoing body changes but WOW at this jumps yesterday. I was impressed. I wasn't surprised by his interpretation, that's really where he shines. I was amazed though at how good he is early this season... I think he is sending a clear message to Skate Canada : I want to get SENIOR competition...

Regarding the layout... I can see a couple reasons....

1) of course, he will start with the quad when he has the most energy..... so the 3A cannot be there...

2) if he misses the quad, he needs a combo and perhaps it's best for him to save the lutz in second position to make sure he can tag a 3toe there instead of when he would be much more tired later on.

3) finally, perhaps there is a psychological game with all of this... the 3A is such a crucial jump in men's SP as everyone is doing it...and it's indeed Roman's weaker jump so perhaps he saves it for the end to make sure he doesn't get affected emotionally from landing it or falling on it early on.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Roman's Minto Summer Skate LP:

Senior Men LP Group 3 Warm-Up: [Dead link]

Last edited:

OneFlutzAway

Rinkside
Roman's new SP was brilliant. I really like the direction they've taken with him, kudos to the choreographers!
Don't love the FS as much, but the opening 4S3T was:love:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was amazed though at how good he is early this season... I think he is sending a clear message to Skate Canada : I want to get SENIOR competition....

For some reason I have a mental image of Roman shouting at a SC official, "I'M SENIOR, HERE ME ROAR!" :laugh: Most of us (including myself) didn't believe he had a good chance of winning that 3rd spot at the Skate Canada International, but he's currently the frontrunner! :shocked: (I'm shocked in a good way, not a bad way.)

Regarding the layout... I can see a couple reasons....

1) of course, he will start with the quad when he has the most energy..... so the 3A cannot be there...

2) if he misses the quad, he needs a combo and perhaps it's best for him to save the lutz in second position to make sure he can tag a 3toe there instead of when he would be much more tired later on.

3) finally, perhaps there is a psychological game with all of this... the 3A is such a crucial jump in men's SP as everyone is doing it...and it's indeed Roman's weaker jump so perhaps he saves it for the end to make sure he doesn't get affected emotionally from landing it or falling on it early on.

Oh, okay, I didn't see it that way before. Thanks for your input. :)

Don't love the FS as much, but the opening 4S3T was:love:

I agree that his LP isn't quite as dazzling as his SP, but I still consider it to be a thousand times better than R&J, so I'm totally cool with it. :cool: And yes, his 4S-3T was awesome, and Minto was the first competition where he had attempted quad combos! :clap:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
well... we can see that the numbers are not there yet... but they aren't there for anyone then ;) for the men.... though, for the technical requirements, Roman did pretty well.

I'm editing this post because I forgot Nic's score at Nationals. Nicolas has both scores, domestic from Nationals and International from Bavarian Open 2017. Keegan has both from Nationals and Golden Spin of Zagreb 2016. Roman has the international score from JGP Dresden, JGP Yokohama, and Golden Spin. He doesn't have the domestic score yet. So now the pressure is on for Skate Ontario.

Kuan

Final Flight