Vincent Zhou | Page 67 | Golden Skate

Vincent Zhou

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi, Arriba! Thank you for sharing. You must have had a great time in Greensboro! We had no idea how Vincent would do, after reading the articles and seeing his interview with Michael Weiss.

Boo hoo -- of all years to skip Nats, I was sitting in front of NBC Gold (and NBC SN) as so many others were. The level of skating was so much higher this year. Wish I could have been there! Never fear though, I already have my hotel booked for Nats 2021 in San Jose, CA. Maybe you should come?!

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Boo hoo -- of all years to skip Nats, I was sitting in front of NBC Gold (and NBC SN) as so many others were. The level of skating was so much higher this year. Wish I could have been there! Never fear though, I already have my hotel booked for Nats 2021 in San Jose, CA. Maybe you should come?!

Pardon my belated response, Arriba! :pray: Sorry to hear that you actually skipped Nats this year, what a shame. My finances are still tight, but it could work out if I start saving now :biggrin:. We’ll see.

formersk8ter

On the Ice
Any news on Vincent's training? I'm excited to see what he comes up with at Worlds! Hoping he's able to get at least three of his quads back.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Any news on Vincent's training? I'm excited to see what he comes up with at Worlds! Hoping he's able to get at least three of his quads back.

Hiya, formersk8ter, we're all really excited, too! I have full confidence that Vincent will get his jumps back, especially his signature 4Lz+3T combo! Other than the IGS that Benoit posted a few weeks ago from Granite Club, nothing new. But I'll definitely post here when any updates surface.

Here are some belated photos (8 total) from US Nats practice where Vincent was having fun, catching up with his buds Tomoki & Andrew.

Don't know what the bowing was about, maybe it's their special game (bow to the master). :laugh: The Japanese fan who took the photos told me that she has seen them do this before.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
CCTV Sports Documentary released an episode with Vincent: "Footprints in the Snow", episode 4 https://v.qq.com/x/page/v3073nlx5rq.html
In the same style as the 2017 iFeng documentary

This episode has segments on Beverly Zhu intersepersed throughout. I've indicated time stamps of various ones. I don't have time to translate everything but if anyone has any questions on specific areas, please let me know and I will do my best to translate.

Starts with Vincent making it to the podium at Worlds, and visiting coach Hamada after Worlds.
5:23 - Vincent's mom to the crew in Chinese, "This Japanese coach is a world class elite coach. She polished Vincent's jump and made it very (technically) accurate. Her 2 skaters Satoko Miyahara & Rika Kihira have very good skating skills."
Vincent to mom: Talk about how "polish" is the difference between good and great. Vincent's mom told him to explain it himself and he said he doesn't know how to explain it in Chinese. Mom: "It's okay, you can try and mix English in." (LOL, Vincent reminds me of myself)
5:53 Vincent: "So my mom was just talking about the "polish" coach Hamada brings to my skating. That is the difference between a skater who is good and a skater who is great." Sigh, so true!

Another part (carrying/dragging luggage up the steps) that made me laugh is when Vincent said: "I have 2 shoulders, mom." Sounds like something my niece would say to her mom. So his shoulder was still hurting at Worlds.

Vincent's part stops at 8:20, after visiting coach Hamada at Kansai University
Beverly Zhu & Jeffrey Buttle
10:59 Vincent getting new choreography from Lori, Cloud Atlas. Shows Kurt Browning.
Lori commenting on how beautiful Vincent's Rippon 4Lz is
Vincent hurt his knee during SOI and going to see his doctor
Beverly Zhu part
20:40 Vincent going to Brown University,
Beverly Zhu part, skating at CoC
23:14 back to Vincent

I really enjoy these documentaries as they show the everyday lives, sacrifice and hardwork that the skaters go through to fulfill their dreams. Looking forward to more in the future.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Vincent will participate in the Skating Club of San Francisco 2020 Gala, honoring Rudy Galindo, on April 4th.
The cast will include Calalang/Johnson, Carreira/Ponomarenko, Dinh Tran, Kate Wang & others. He is mentioned on the SCSF IG account, but the website info hasn't been updated.

Here's praying that the coronavirus situation will be in check by next month. :pray:

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Might have been shared already, but it just popped up on my twitter feed, Q&A

https://twitter.com/VincentZhou1025/status/1237755327010852864?s=20

Thanks, lariko. Didn't have a chance to check social media yesterday. Here's the direct link:
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2020/03/11/vincent-zhou-interview-world-championships/

Q&A with Defending Worlds Bronze Medalist Vincent Zhou - Phil Hersh

This made me laugh: "At first, I was starting to worry that people at the rink thought I only owned two outfits."
Wishing Vincent the best in getting his jumps back and delivering to the best of his capabilities at Worlds!

Zenchio63

Final Flight

Zenchio63

Final Flight

Thanks, lariko. Copying Vincent's message here:

Wow. Hard to put into words how torn I am right now. Half of me is shocked and disappointed that my hard work and training in the past few weeks ends this way, but the other half completely understands and respects the decision for the greater good.

I hope everybody and their loved ones stay safe and healthy. Prayers to the affected. I will return next season more hungry and motivated than ever.

Sigh! What disappointment, but precautionary measures are necessary at this time. Sending everyone good vibes and best wishes to stay healthy & safe. :pray: Stay alert and informed (be judicious of news source), and stay out of fear mode, which lower one's immune system and good judgment and spreads more unnecessary panic.

Looking forward to an even more hungry and motivated Vincent next season!

formersk8ter

On the Ice
Sending everyone good vibes and best wishes to stay safe. :pray: Stay alert and informed (be judicious of news source), and stay out of fear mode, which lower one's immune system and spreads more unnecessary panic.

Looking forward to an even more hungry and motivated Vincent next season!

The same to you, Zenchio63! And you're absolutely right, we need to stay updated, but avoid fear and panic.

Vincent looks great!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Also looking forward to Zhou coming back stronger next season. He probably put more hopes than anyone else into WC this season, so... poor guy. :ghug:

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Also looking forward to Zhou coming back stronger next season. He probably put more hopes than anyone else into WC this season, so... poor guy. :ghug:

Yeah, after skipping the GP competitions, this was his chance to show that he is still competitive. But, alas, the competition wasn't meant to take place. I have a feeling Vincent and Lori will keep "Cloud Atlas" for next season as he never had the chance to really work on the program.

Sending best wishes to Vincent to stay healthy & motivated! :ghug:

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Vincent will participate in the Skating Club of San Francisco 2020 Gala, honoring Rudy Galindo, on April 4th.
The cast will include Calalang/Johnson, Carreira/Ponomarenko, Dinh Tran, Kate Wang & others.

As predicted, the gala has been rescheduled:

https://scsf.org/2020-fundraising-gala/

2020 Gala, “Skate for Life,” Honoring Rudy Galindo
Rescheduled-Now May 9th, 2020

Not to be pessimistic, but with the way things are progressing, it might get cancelled or moved even further out. Hope everyone stays healthy.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Video clip of Vincent practicing SP "I Will Wait" at Granite Club, second clip with music:
https://twitter.com/VincentZhouJPFC/status/1241182755313999873?s=20

Coach TomZ held an online class and invited Vincent to be a special guest:
"I am going to live stream a jump class 3-22-20 for figure skaters and coaches around the world who are stuck at home without ice to practice on or a large space to workout in."
Mentioning Vincent in second clip of IG message repost.

Another repost from Tom's IGS of Vincent skating with his new boots:
"Breaking in new skates, Vincent Zhou at the barn, in Black Forest, CO."