Vincent Zhou | Page 69 | Golden Skate

Vincent Zhou

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Coach Lee Barkell's interview about Vincent, from the April 2020, Vol.12, issue of "Ice Jewels" magazine, translations courtesy of hanabi0489
(I edited some parts here)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAnJTaApW2I/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Q: Two months off the ice is a long time for a skater, isn't it?
Barkell : He's very methodical and can't take things halfway.
So initially he was going to juggle academics and skating, but it didn't work out that way.
So for now, after the semester was over, he prepared for US Nationals. When he started the training at Granite Club, it was like a crash course. I didn't ask for too much and focused on him steadily jumping only one kind of quadruple.
It was just in time, wasn't it? And we had a good preparation for the World Championships, but unfortunately Worlds was cancelled.
Q: What kind of skater do you think he is?
Barkell: He is very serious, but he also has a sense of humor.
He's a quick learner, and his love of competing is a strength. He has some really good jumping skills. I would like to strengthen his skating skills even more .

formersk8ter

On the Ice
So proud of Vincent! He's come so far, just since US Nationals this year, and to do so during this pandemic is really something.

His SP was SO good in Colorado. The FP was a nice start, just a couple of hiccups. The program will just get better and better. Congratulations to Vincent!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Congratulations to Vincent!

I really enjoyed his SP, I know he had a reputation as not a very expressive skater, but he certainly feels that program :) The jumps were really good too!

I have to say I don't know much about Vincent, but I enjoyed what I saw :)

Keep on keeping on, Vincent! :cheer:

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He must feel completely gutted. If the US needs to qualify for a third position, maybe he'll redeem himself at Nebelhorn.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

16Olympics

On the Ice
Is he allowed to go? I don't think any skater who went to Worlds can try and get the spot back.

He posted this on Insta:

Apparently he had an injury. In any case I hope he can climb that mountain!
Someone has to go to Nebelhorn it just can't be Nathan or Jason. I am not sure if more than one can go or if there is a qualifying score to get the third spot (haven't checked that out) but Nationals will determine who goes to the Olympics, Nebelhorn will determine if the US men get 3 spots.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is he allowed to go? I don't think any skater who went to Worlds can try and get the spot back.

He posted this on Insta:

Apparently he had an injury. In any case I hope he can climb that mountain!
My understanding is that it can be him. It can’t be Jason or Nathan because they made the FS. If Vincent had made the FS and Jason had not - Vincent would not be able to go to Nebelhorn but Jason would.

Matthew

On the Ice
Cranberry Cup 2021, SP