Vincent Zhou | Page 64 | Golden Skate

Vincent Zhou

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Not if you adjust her score with the men's PCS factor of 2.0 instead of the women's 1.6 (which in her case, given the amount of quads would make sense). Then she beats all men except for Nathan... :biggrin:

ETA: ...and Alina does, too.

Lol, my post was written in jest! I am a big fan of Sasha, just so you know. She is simply awesome!

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Congratulations to Vincent and his followers here for the medals early in the season! I've missed him and his compatriot/fellow top US man dearly..Vince's programs are stellar -- especially his short. The music selection, choreo, and ubridled joy while skating to the SP are just beyond endearing to me. I hope this season goes even better than the last for him. Well done, you bright young man. :)

So good to hear from you, justvaliant! Welcome back! Glad to know you like Vincent's new SP. I will wait (pun intended) and see how the program evolves as Vincent gets more comfortable with the style & tempo of the music and Shae-Lynn's choreo. With limited training time, it will take a while for everything to sink in and become familiar. But it is indeed very refreshing and wonderful to see him skate to this upbeat program.

More good things to come as Vincent continues to work on his jumps & programs.

formersk8ter

On the Ice
I liked Vincent's skate here a lot! Big improvements in his presentation, although I would like to see his arms and especially his legs stretched out a little more. No worries, that will come.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
I liked Vincent's skate here a lot! Big improvements in his presentation, although I would like to see his arms and especially his legs stretched out a little more. No worries, that will come.

You're right, formersk8ter! Wish Vincent had time to take some dancing/body movement lessons. I'm sure he will work with Lori at the end of the year, after school's out, for more fine-tuning and adjustments to the program. It's a work in progress, with so much potential.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
His free looks really dramatic in Japanese Open. Will be interesting to see its evolution during the season

formersk8ter

On the Ice
I just read, on another forum, that Vincent is out of Cup of China, and possibly both GP events! No explanation was given. Does anyone know anything about this?

Zenchio63

Final Flight
I just read, on another forum, that Vincent is out of Cup of China, and possibly both GP events! No explanation was given. Does anyone know anything about this?

http://app.e.usfigureskating.org/e/...c78df410e9ef19cb54847e8c9&elqaid=1877&elqat=1

Vincent Zhou Withdraws from 2019 Grand Prix Series
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (Oct. 22, 2019) - Vincent Zhou has withdrawn from both Cup of China and Rostelecom Cup, U.S. Figure Skating announced today.
“It’s really difficult to balance classes and training at the same time,” said Zhou, who is in the middle of his freshman year at Brown University. “I want to perform at the highest level on the ice and in the classroom, and I have not been able to dedicate the necessary time to my skating with my rigorous class schedule. Unfortunately, the timing of my midterms has fallen right in the middle of an important training period for me this fall. This was a tough decision because I love to perform in front of the fans, but this is the best decision for me right now.”
Cup of China is set for Nov. 8-10 in Chongqing, China, while Rostelecom Cup will take place in Moscow, Nov. 15-17.
Zhou earned the bronze medal at the 2019 World Figure Skating Championships, and was a member of the 2018 U.S. Olympic Figure Skating Team.

Both Lynn Rutherforf and Phil Hersh tweeted about Vincent's withdrawal. I am unable to copy the links on my iPad. Will provide more info later.

It is a shame we won't see him compete but just relieved that he is not injured, and I support his decision.

edited to add announcement

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Vincent posted a statement on his IG

"It's been difficult for me to reach the conclusion that the best thing for me is to withdraw from my Grand Prixs, Cup of China and Rostelecom Cup. The training situation here in Providence has been very difficult even without my school commitment factored in, and after all, I must put academics ahead of everything else. With midterms going on right now, I have not been able to put in the necessary time and energy into training and preparing to compete. I'm sorry -- but I hope to be back and better than ever soon. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your support!"

Vincent, you have the support of your fans and we wish you the best with the rest of your semester and studies. I know you will be able to devote all your energy and drive to US Championships and Worlds next year! Have a good week leading up to your birthday on the 25th!

Take good care and keep on shining!

Zenchio63

Final Flight
:hb:Today is Vincent’s 19th birthday! 🎂 Wishing him much happiness, good health & success in every facet of his life! Have a wonderful day celebrating and may all your wishes come true! Happy Birthday, dear Vincent! 🎉 :cheer:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
:hb:Today is Vincent’s 19th birthday! �� Wishing him much happiness, good health & success in every facet of his life! Have a wonderful day celebrating and may all your wishes come true! Happy Birthday, dear Vincent! �� :cheer:

Happy birthday but a big trembling lips thing about Vincent wd from GP. At least it’s not an injury but life goals.

justvaliant

Rinkside
Happiest of birthdays to the bright and wonderful Vincent Zhou! I'm so proud to call myself his fan, but not as proud as I am of Vincent himself -- 19 years young but already so wise beyond his years and such a special talent. I'm a little sad that we won't be able to enjoy his gorgeous programs this season, but I know he will continue to inspire at university.

My hope on your special day, young man, is that your academic endeavours will be just as beautiful and fulfilling as your athletic career. No injuries or illness, just all the love and support that you deserve, and then some. :)

Zenchio dear, much, much thanks for your wonderful messages! I look forward to responding as soon as possible. Have a great Vincent Day!

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Happy birthday but a big trembling lips thing about Vincent wd from GP. At least it’s not an injury but life goals.

:sad4:Yeah, so glad the withdrawal was not due to injury, but also :( that we won't get a chance to see Vincent compete. The timing of the GPs & midterms just didn't work. Glad that he can now focus on his studies and not have to stress out about inadequate training time. It was great seeing Young You, who has also switched to Tammy & Hamada, at the Kiss & Cry with the coaches. Very happy for her performance & podium finish (Congrats Young!), as well as for Camden's SP, but bummed that Vincent won't have a chance to do the same this GP season. (Flashback: Vincent having a little fun with Young & Camden) Are there any GP qualifications for 4CC? Hoping Vincent will get a chance to defend his podium finish in Korea next year, along with US Nationals & Worlds.

Happiest of birthdays to the bright and wonderful Vincent Zhou! I'm so proud to call myself his fan, but not as proud as I am of Vincent himself -- 19 years young but already so wise beyond his years and such a special talent. I'm a little sad that we won't be able to enjoy his gorgeous programs this season, but I know he will continue to inspire at university.

My hope on your special day, young man, is that your academic endeavours will be just as beautiful and fulfilling as your athletic career. No injuries or illness, just all the love and support that you deserve, and then some. :)

Zenchio dear, much, much thanks for your wonderful messages! I look forward to responding as soon as possible. Have a great Vincent Day!

Oh, that was such a beautifully written post, justvaliant! You are just as eloquent as Vincent, and he will surely appreciate your good thoughts.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Latest photos of Vincent in front of a Shabu-Shabu restaurant mural and the food, courtesy of his Japanese Fan Club. Too bad he won't have the chance to eat authentic hot pot, the local delicacy of Chongqing. Glad he was treated to the delicious feast. All the best for the rest of autumn, keep warm!

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Japan Open photos from Absolute Skating
http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=photogallery&id=2019japanopen

The 5 Musketeers in Halloween costumes
https://twitter.com/shoko_la_loca/status/1189815678963838976?s=20

JO pink Yukata/umbrella costume as a cat
https://twitter.com/apritecco/status/1189846663482859520?s=20

Carnival On Ice exhibition "Slow Dancing in the Dark"
https://youtu.be/W2oATwBomi8

Translation of commentary from Tatsuki Machida, with TV announcer Ryusuke Itagaki, courtesy of Vincent's JP Fan Club

Itagaki: This year's World Championship bronze medalist, another American star, Vincent Zhou. This season's exhibition number is "Slow Dancing in the Dark" by Australian Japanese artist Joji. The choreography is by Joshua Farris.
Machida: This is a program in which choreography and movement are in harmony with the mellow tone and the singing voice where you can feel some pain.
Itagaki: The choreographer Joshua Farris is a former World Junior gold medalist. He retired from competition due to a concussion, and now he is a coach at the World Arena in the United States and choreographing. He is one of Vincent's most respected skaters and has a talent for choreography.
Machida: This is my personal opinion, but I think it would have been better to design the costume shirt a little more. It's probably an off-the-shelf T-shirt now, but my feeling is that a georgette shirt with a little open neckline would be more suitable. I feel like if a person with a formal and elegant look and atmosphere performs this program decadently, the performance will be more convincing.
Itagaki: Certainly, Jeremy Abbott and others wore white shirts, they are simple but have some accents built in.
Machida: His Tano Jump is beautiful because his arms are well stretched.
Itagaki: He's good at Lutz jump.
Itagaki: I can just hear the cry of his heart from Vincent Zhou's exhibition number. Vincent Zhou, who went to Brown University in the fall, is actually abandoning the Grand Prix series for academic priority. He'd like to go to graduate school and go to a business school.
Machida: Yes. I think this will be the first case in which the Grand Prix series is abandoned for academic reasons. Since the International Skating Federation and the National Skating Federation do not guarantee the life of the athlete, I think it is very good that the choice of academic priority and the freedom of decision-making regarding your career are secured.
Itagaki: I'm looking forward to seeing the next competition.

Video of CaOI group finale, with Vincent at 1:27 - 1:37
https://youtu.be/mK9ulBtHli0