Vincent Zhou | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Vincent Zhou

Spinning

On the Ice
It's close to when you say 'Zoe' but without saying 'e', like 'Zo'.

Thank you. I was thinking about Stephen Chow, the actor. I guess I was correct.

@ice Coverage your knowledge is invaluable. Amazing thank you! :bow:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Vincent and his coaches. :)

Vincent himself has said that "Joe" is the correct pronunciation of his last name.

(Rhymes with doe, hoe, roe, toe, etc.)

Is it Joe, as in cup of joe or Joe Stalin?

Or does is have that zh sound that I can't seem to think of an English word that has?

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Or does is have that zh sound that I can't seem to think of an English word that has?

Cup of joe.

Two videos of Vincent saying his own name:

And IIRC, there is a video of Vincent mock-scolding along the lines of "my name is pronounced 'Joe' and I don't want to hear it any other way." Sorry that I don't have that link at my fingertips.

yyyskate

Record Breaker

it has the sound "zh" then oe

you can copy and paste Vincent's family name 周 into google translate and click the speaker on top, you will hear how it should be pronounced

There is no Chinese family name sounded like "Joe"

unfortunately, there is no clip about Vincent say his name in Chinese, although there are quite some clip of Vincent speaking Chinese.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For me, the correct way to pronounce Vincent's name is the way that Vincent himself pronounces it.

(And *not* how Google Translate or anyone/anything else pronounces it.)

Vincent pronounces his name as "Joe." :yes:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
For me, the correct way to pronounce Vincent's name is the way that Vincent himself pronounces it.

:laugh: I will find proof next time, wait for it :laugh::biggrin::p:yes:

yyyskate

Record Breaker

Joke aside, I think that Chinese American usually tends to pronounce their name in a Americanized way.

It is not because they are ashamed of their Chinese heritage, nor they want to appear as "white" as possible. It is because it really can cause lots of unnecessary inconvenience in their everyday life. Since to say Chinese name in a perfect Chinese accent is usually not easy for Americans listener who are not familiar with Chinese language to understand nor is it easy for them to pronounce/repeat, so many Chinese opt to say their name in a Americanized way.
thus, e.g. Vincent's family Zhou is sounded a bit like "Joe". or "Wang" like "Wong"

fanny fact: Nathan usually says his family name "Chen" in a perfect Chinese accent (although that is probably one of the couple Chinese words he can speak:biggrin:). That small detail really attracted lots of Chinese figure skating fans' attention and felt very fond of him.

Also both Vincent and Nathan speak Chinese in mandarin accent, and Vincent's Chinese is really quite advanced.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Awesome! He has really beautiful lines, reminds me of a Nathan/Hanyu hybrid :love: He needs more music like this for his actual programs!

I agree with Vincent's beautiful lines (gift), he just need a bit of fluidity in those lines.
put it in this way.
I still do not have the feeling that music flows in you or you conduct the music from Vincent yet. but Vincent obviously listens to music.

Vincent's skating could be very passionate and emotional.

This type of music, I would imagine Patrick or Shoma do a better job, but they do not possess Vincent's physical lines and prince like good looks:biggrin:

Working on this type of music can hone Vincent's smooth skating skills and upper body posture.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I think Vincent is singing along in parts of both his SP and FS.
Truly a passionate skater:eek:::bow:

yyyskate

Record Breaker

Thank you , it is indeed really nice. really an insightful article about Vincent and his mom. The author must have invested a lot into research about this article.

Every ounce of information from this article feels like from someone knows Vincent and his mom's dream and journey personally.

I hope more people can read it.

the last paragraph of the article striked me

"“We’re very happy about it,” she said.” Always his dream. But I never thought about the pay off. That’s just not a concept in my mind.”"

you don't say this kinda words to other things expect for your true love.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I saw Vincent on Super Bowl Xfinity Commercial.

Vincent is making it big too!:yahoo::dance3::hap93:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Vincent should have arrived in South Korea.

Go Vincent, take care and good luck, I wish you enjoy your first OG!

Have fun.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone have reports of Vincent at the Olympics? I'm sure I saw him in the Team USA box during the team event.

After the men skated in the team event, I believe he could be a big surprise at the Games. All the USA attention is on Nathan and Adam, but I don't think the men's team SP or LP were anything to write home about. I think a clean Vincent could have finished 2 in the SP and perhaps have won the LP.

A solid SP could do him more good than we think.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I think Vincent is doing great in terms of training and his first OG experience. I also agree that if choose Vincent to do the TE, he may provide better result as well.
Vincent is relatively pressure free in his first OG, and he has trained very hard and really well prepared coming into OG, he could very possibly be a dark horse.