Vincent Zhou | Page 51 | Golden Skate

Vincent Zhou

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Forgot to include link to Yahoo! Japan article, which is almost identical in content, with some additional information:

"I wanted to improve the (jump) technique with a good coach."

"The main advice (from Hamada) was on how to use the body, such as how to place the center of gravity in a jump. The axis was fixed and the icing also became clean."

the axis is fixed which is different from previously slight vibration (thus waste energy), :biggrin::love: so much easier said than done though.:luv17:

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Long Island SOI show experience and review, where the blogger met Nathan and Vincent (with pictures).
Watching Stars on Ice: A Former Figure Skater’s Take

Vincent was also very kind and humble. I didn’t get a chance to see him warm-up but before the show, Vincent and Bradie Tennell did the ice breaker. It’s a chance for local skaters to ask them questions and it was quite cute when one of the skaters asked Vincent how old he was when he landed his double axel. He answered 7-years-old, then after a moment, corrected himself by saying that actually might have been his single axel, but he got his double axel when he was probably eight. The axel jump is the hardest jump in figure skating because of its forward takeoff. Therefore, you have an extra half rotation in order to complete the jump and land backward.

For those that didn't get a chance to see it, here's the brief Ice Breaker Q&A clip taken from SOI IG story (clip shows only Bradie speaking).

Zenchio63

Final Flight
BTW, if you haven't voted for Team USA's WTT Team for the Team USA Best of April Awards, make sure to vote by going over to Team USA Awards

US Figure Skating tweet: you can vote as many times as you'd like (2 more days to go)

Fan tweet with video clip of WTT's Team USA fun performance. I still can't get enough of the letter "U" formed by Nathan, Vincent & Mariah. :laugh:

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Thank you for sharing the interview :)

You're so welcome! The web translation came out satisfactory, though I am sure there are bits here and there that needed more editing. It's so difficult to translate Japanese into English. Half of the time, I have no idea what the point is when I read the Japanese tweet translations, LOL.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Vincent posted an update on his IG account, with a video of "Slow Dancing in the Dark" from SOI.

Probably my favorite exhibition program ever. Love you @sushitrash. I badly want to get back on the ice for @starsonice in Anaheim and San Jose but my doctor and I are not sure if my knee has progressed to that point yet. But don't worry, I'm getting better every day. ☮️✌️

The Anaheim show is May 11th and San Jose is on the 12th. Let's hope another week will be sufficient for his knee to heal up completely! :pray: Vincent needs to perform in his hometown, where all his local fans would be eager to see him back at the SAP Center, where he skated his lights out at the SAP Center to make the Olympic Team!

He also posted a poem at his artworkofthemind account.

Thanks for the update, Vincent! Wishing you a full, speedy recovery to make the California shows! All the best!

Zenchio63

Final Flight
US Figure Skating Facebook Live Q&A with Vincent Tomorrow

Ashley posted on her IGS (@ashwagner2010) that she will be interviewing Vincent & Mirai tomorrow on US Figure Skating Facebook Live, 7:30 MT. You can submit questions for both through her IGS.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Higher Brothers posted a comment on @oniceperspectives video excerpt of Vincent's SOI "Made In China" program.

higherbrothers
🔥💪

oniceperspectives
@higherbrothers OMG

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxPgnWql1EZ/ (May 9)​

Thanks to Jordan Cowan for shooting the great video.

[I never know whether emojis will display within GS (for me, sometimes they do not, although sometimes they do). The comment from Higher Brothers consisted of the fire emoji + the flexed biceps emoji.]

ETA (on May 11):

Vincent later added his own comment:

govincentzhou
@higherbrothers I'll give up my left kidney to go on tour with you guys

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I heard Higher Brothers because of Vincent, not the other way around:biggrin:

but that is really cool on-ice shot of Vincent's performance of MadeInChina, Thank you Jordan Cowan:agree::love:. included my fav footwork and stand-still dance. Vincent looking really sharp out there.
although Vincent has already showed great effort, I still wanna more swagger and seduction from Vincent's facial expression (bite). :biggrin:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's great news that Vincent will do The Ice. Boyang, Shoma, and Nathan did such a fun number together at last year's shows. I wonder if this time it will be a quartet instead of a trio! I loved the way last year's The Ice had a young vibe to it. The costumes were fun, and they did some goofy stuff too (Shoma dressing in drag! :dbana:). There were serious things though too (a tribute to Denis Ten was one thing). Anyway, looking forward to it! July 27 - Aug 4 (Osaka, Niigata, Nagoya). Here is the above link plugged into Google Translate. https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://fs-theice.com/

Zenchio63

Final Flight
That's great news that Vincent will do The Ice. Boyang, Shoma, and Nathan did such a fun number together at last year's shows. I wonder if this time it will be a quartet instead of a trio! I loved the way last year's The Ice had a young vibe to it. The costumes were fun, and they did some goofy stuff too (Shoma dressing in drag! :dbana:). There were serious things though too (a tribute to Denis Ten was one thing). Anyway, looking forward to it! July 27 - Aug 4 (Osaka, Niigata, Nagoya). Here is the above link plugged into Google Translate. https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://fs-theice.com/

Thank you for the info & link to the Google Translated webpage, Arriba! :pray: Will have to rewatch the videos from last year this weekend. I love the number done by the "Three Musketeers". Hope Vincent can join in as D'Artagnan this year. ;) And hoping to see some of the cantilever fun with Shoma! :luv17:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwNkdF1nY9J/?igshid=4ktfgckghbl3

Zenchio63

Final Flight
IFS Magazine tweet: It was interesting to hear what @mirai_nagasu and @govincentzhou had to say to the rising stars at the U.S. Jump on It! Camp about coming back from disappointing moments and where the inspiration comes from to continually want to be better.

US Figure Skating Facebook link to video of Ashley's interview with Vincent & Mirai (25:20):
Jump on It! Camp Keynote Speakers: Jump on It! Camp had some special guests stop by to kick off the exciting event. Catch more from Mirai Nagasu, Ashley Wagner and Vincent Zhou.

Ashley was really good and asked great questions! It was funny when Ashley said to Mirai (who was waving at Karen): "Don't laugh at me, I'm so nervous!" :laugh:

And Vincent, you know I love you with all my heart, but the gum chewing was really distracting. Must be his alternative to "smoking", to deal with nerves. Time to find a substitute.

Camden took over USFS' IG account for the Camp. He shared a picture of Ashley taking selfie with Mirai & Vincent (Amazing keynote speakers!).
Picture from Ashley's IG:About last night...I had the pleasure of interviewing these two incredible athletes about moments in history that they claimed as their own. Very proud of these two!

Spotted at the camp from Camden's IGS: Andrew Torg, Tomoki, Alex K, Karen, Alysa, Young You, & Canada's Conrad Orzel who is in Colorado Springs as guest coach Lee Barkell's demonstrator. Mie Hamada reportedly has returned as a guest coach for this year's camp. Hope Vincent takes some pics with coach Hamada.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
"And Vincent, you know I love you with all my heart, but the gum chewing was really distracting. Must be his alternative to "smoking", to deal with nerves. Time to find a substitute. "
I also find that distracting and disrespectful and would advise against it , chewing gum maybe a coping mechanism, maybe for other purpose. Instead of finding a substitute, I hope Vincent can be comfortable with himself in any situation. And I like Vincent with all my heart too.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
for music suggestion (it is about time:biggrin:), disclaimer: not a music connoisseur, not major in music, did not play piano since I can remember (thus perhaps do not gravitate towards the so-called "high class" taste of music:biggrin:) All the suggestions here are pretty random. most are inspired during the season when I am thinking about Vincent.

1, music similar to Brian Boitano's 86 SP music, Les Patineurs (a.k.a The Ice Skaters) Vincent mentioned Brian Boitano's OG performance inspired him before. Brian's 86 SP especially resonated with me. it is classic, balletic, exuberant and mostly importantly it is a waltz. Why recommend to Vincent, the main reason is, although it is 30+ years apart, I saw some shared quality between Vincent and Brian. I think ball room dance/style can help with Vincent's posture and it is also doable considering Vincent's current dance quality/capability. Also, it is a new genre for Vincent. last season is modern piano synphony and asian movie sound track.
Brian's 86 OG SP performance,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk_IXnlbd1U
classic version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuHuq4UX2Cw
Stanford Viennese Ball 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wi5wiBtxYQ
along these lines, I also considered Vincent may try Baroque music similar to Four Seasons that Patrick Chan used before.

ETA.this is for classic prince charming noble man Vincent.:biggrin:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
2, suggest Vincent to learn some Latin dance which I think may help with Vincent's upper body fluidity, coordination, rhythms etc, and perhaps further open some knots and kinks. IMHO, Ladin dance training is the most helpful (among all dance genres) specifically targeting Vincent's weakness. A latin styled program maybe a little challenging for Vincent for now.