Vincent Zhou | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Vincent Zhou

livetoskate

On the Ice
Also-- is Tammy Gambill still his coach? Is she there with him? I have only seen a pic here and there that make it seems like Vincent is only there with Tom Zakrajek (sp?) as his coach.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Also-- is Tammy Gambill still his coach? Is she there with him? I have only seen a pic here and there that make it seems like Vincent is only there with Tom Zakrajek (sp?) as his coach.

Gambill, Krall, and Tom Z all are at 2018 OWG for Team USA.

Not sure, but I believe that OWG officially allows each entry to have only one coach credentialed?

But ... things work out well for Vincent because Gambill also is Karen's coach, and Tom Z also is Mirai's coach.
Not sure, but I expect that Gambill, Krall, and Tom Z all are playing some role in working with Vincent on site at 2018 OWG.

(Krall also was actively working on site -- along with Sappenfield -- with the Knierims.)

Plus ... Drew Meekins is in Korea.
IIRC, it was Drew who was with Vincent a little earlier in Chuncheon (at the USFS alternate training site).
At the moment, Drew is working with Mirai in Chuncheon.

ETA:

Just saw Gambill, Krall, Tom Z all at the boards for Vincent during his group's six-minute warm-up for the individual SP.

Go, Vincent :yay:.​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Vincent re historic first quad lutz at OWG. :bow:

@ice coverage
I found the proof:biggrin: http://t.cn/RRR0R7V?m=4207978858818308&u=5718809949
Vincent pronounces his name in Chinese (including family name Zhou) as it should be sounded from Vincent's own month.

Congratulations on Vincent's personal best SP score 84.53 in his Olympic debut :yahoo:

See you in the free:clap::dance:

I don't have a Weibo account, so I don't have access to what is at your link.

But I'll take your word for it that Vincent pronounces Zhou in two :) different ways -- one of them being Joe :yes: (as he said at the links I provided).

ETA:
A new video today of Vincent's pronunciation as Joe:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfPSoJ5ni-4/?taken-by=pyeongchang2018 (Vincent appears after Nathan)​

So as far as I'm concerned, both Joe and the second way that Vincent also says it are correct.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
@ice coverage I recommend you to listen to the one you linked with ear phones or turn the volume to the loudest, even the Americanized version of Vincent's family name "Zhou" started with "z" not "j" just not as pronounced as the perfect Chinese way.:biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@ice coverage I recommend you to listen to the one you linked with ear phones or turn the volume to the loudest, even the Americanized version of Vincent's family name "Zhou" started with "z" not "j" just not as pronounced as the perfect Chinese way.:biggrin:

I think you're hearing what you "want" to hear.
And you probably think that I'm hearing what I "want" to hear.

Anyway, agree to disagree.

I'd much rather discuss Vincent's experience at OWG. :)

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
How is he not getting as much press as Mirai Nagasu? He was the first person ever to land the hardest jump possible at the Olympics!

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
How is he not getting as much press as Mirai Nagasu? He was the first person ever to land the hardest jump possible at the Olympics!

Yeah, I don't get it. Rippon is getting all this praise for doing a Ladies' program while Vincent wasn't even mentioned. It sucks how there is literally no support for skaters until they start winning and then it's head-crushing hype. I hope Vincent can blossom without media hype.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I think you're hearing what you "want" to hear.
And you probably think that I'm hearing what I "want" to hear.

Anyway, agree to disagree.

I'd much rather discuss Vincent's experience at OWG. :)

okay to agree to disagree

just some perspective, Vincent's family name is Chinese, and he is Chinese American and I am Chinese. Vincent and I both speak Mandarin.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Yeah, I don't get it. Rippon is getting all this praise for doing a Ladies' program while Vincent wasn't even mentioned. It sucks how there is literally no support for skaters until they start winning and then it's head-crushing hype. I hope Vincent can blossom without media hype.

Indeed, NBC prime did not mention Vincent's SP at all, yet they showed Adam's SP live in between other competitions.

Eventually NBC prime did not even show Vincent's SP in its entirety at all, just showed his quad lutz in late night...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Good luck to Vincent in the FS :yay:.

(BTW, in case anyone missed it, NBCSN had a sit-down interview with him on Olympic Ice at least a day or two before the SP.)

okay to agree to disagree

just some perspective, Vincent's family name is Chinese, and he is Chinese American and I am Chinese. Vincent and I both speak Mandarin.

Adding my own perspective (which will explain why I have no reason to defer to you):
I am Asian-American with 50% Chinese blood. I grew up listening to family members whose first language is Mandarin. I took years of formal lessons in Mandarin from university-level teachers (non-family) who are native speakers. (English is my first language.)
From my experience within the Asian-American community, I also understand/accept that it is not uncommon for someone of Asian descent to consciously choose to adopt a Westernized pronunciation of her/his name of Asian origin.​

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Good luck to Vincent in the FS :yay:.

(BTW, in case anyone missed it, NBCSN had a sit-down interview with him on Olympic Ice at least a day or two before the SP.)

Adding my own perspective (which will explain why I have no reason to defer to you):
I am Asian-American with 50% Chinese blood. I grew up listening to family members whose first language is Mandarin. I took years of formal lessons in Mandarin from university-level teachers (non-family) who are native speakers. (English is my first language.)
From my experience within the Asian-American community, I also understand/accept that it is not uncommon for someone of Asian descent to consciously choose to adopt a Westernized pronunciation of her/his name of Asian origin.​

I think I have mentioned that in this thread as well:)

livetoskate

On the Ice
Count me in as another skating fan aggravated by NBC's lack of figure skating coverage. I had NBC on starting at 8pm eastern time but wound up watching most of the event on a live Russian stream on my laptop. They didn't show Vincent's skate at all (unless that happened during a bathroom break). After 10pm or so, they showed just Adam Rippon's SP, then returned to skiing or something else I didn't care about. Finally after the local nightly news, they started with Yuzuru around 11:40pm, and it wasn't even live; probably half an hour or more later. I'm not sure how many people get NBC's sport channel but most of my friends don't even pay for cable anymore. I'm holding my breath about the coverage tonight. The Russian feed is nice and clear, but the commentators talk and talk nonstop. Vincent deserves more attention and coverage!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Count me in as another skating fan aggravated by NBC's lack of figure skating coverage. I had NBC on starting at 8pm eastern time but wound up watching most of the event on a live Russian stream on my laptop. They didn't show Vincent's skate at all (unless that happened during a bathroom break). After 10pm or so, they showed just Adam Rippon's SP, then returned to skiing or something else I didn't care about. Finally after the local nightly news, they started with Yuzuru around 11:40pm, and it wasn't even live; probably half an hour or more later. I'm not sure how many people get NBC's sport channel but most of my friends don't even pay for cable anymore. I'm holding my breath about the coverage tonight. The Russian feed is nice and clear, but the commentators talk and talk nonstop. Vincent deserves more attention and coverage!

can you give me a link to the Russian steam. I lost trust in NBC completely..