Vincent Zhou | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Vincent Zhou

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I was SO impressed with Vincent's Olympic debut; those quads were thrilling!! and he has loads of personal charm too.. very classy young man.. will be watching his career closely in the coming season.
Congratulations on stellar performances Vincent!!

DiamondDust

Final Flight
I'd also like to congratulate Vincent for a wonderful FS. I especially liked the passion he displayed as he skated, it's such a wonderful watch. :clap:

NoStefaniaNo

Rinkside
I enjoyed his interview during NBC primetime last night. He seems like a very thoughtful young man. It was especially nice that he mentioned the kindness of the volunteers.

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
I enjoyed his interview during NBC primetime last night. He seems like a very thoughtful young man. It was especially nice that he mentioned the kindness of the volunteers.

This is what drew me to him. He seems sooo thoughtful, respectful, calm and kind. Plus super intelligent and well reflected, I almost forget he's a little kid. Then add in thrilling talent and skating and he's got a fan!

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist

Is there a link anywhere? I got this vibe from him too. Is this his last year being in "highschool" (though I guess he's homeschooled)?

Zenchio63

Final Flight
What a heartfelt performance, with so much passion and soul! I was cheering Vincent throughout the LP and teared up at the triumphant, emotional ending. So according to a TIME video on YouTube titled: Vincent Zhou Makes Olympic History By Landing A Quadruple Lutz | Meet Team USA | TIME, "First-time American Olympian Vincent Zhou became the first figure skater to land a quad lutz in any Olympic Games when he nailed the jump at the opening of his short program at the Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympic Games."

So Vincent made history along with Nathan and Mirai, but you hear more about Adam. Don't get me wrong, Adam deserves all the attention he gets, but NBC is not doing much to promote the rest of team USA, except all the hype around Nathan, causing his demise in the SPs. I am sure Vincent was able to concentrate and come out strong and slayed the LP (despite a couple of errors) since all attention and pressure were on Nathan. Vincent wanted to prove all the naysayers wrong and he sure did so! But it is not right that he is not getting the credit he deserves.

In case anyone missed this thread Zhou: "It's prime time baby!" under "Figure Skating: the Edge": Teammate Vincent Zhou earned a personal best of 192.16 points for a sixth-place finish after a highly difficult routine. The 2018 U.S. national bronze medalist landed three-clean quads: Lutz-triple toe, Salchow, and toe, but made stepped out of a quad flip and had a subpar landing on a solo quad Lutz. He finished a respectable sixth place overall with 276.69 points.

“For me to skate that well, to do two great programs, was just amazing,” said the 17-year-old. It is difficult to put into words. It has been such a ride over my 17 years. I have been through so much that it would take hours for me to say. To have a successful performance means so much to me. It is incredible. It was pure joy.”

The skater will turn 21 when the 2022 Olympic Winter Games in Beijing roll around.

“It’s prime time baby!” he laughed, adding that was his “Adam Rippon” moment.

“He is such a sassy, confident guy,” said Zhou of Rippon. “It’s kind of empowering to have him in the house.”

Zhou’s next competition is Worlds, so he won’t be staying for the Closing Ceremony.

“I will spend a few days watching competition and enjoying myself and after that, it’s time to get back and focus on the worlds,” he said. “I will continue to give it my all. No break.”

Vincent also posted a very heartfelt message on his Instagram account -

These are memories that I will think back on many decades later and smile an old, withered smile complete with knowledge that I made the most of my life, especially as a 17 year old Olympian. I placed 6th among the best skaters in the history of this sport and I am so very proud to do so representing the USA. My place is here and my time is now.

Vincent has a lot of heart and soul (an Old Soul, for sure) and he is very expressive and emotes in his own subdued, charming, teenager way. He just needs a bit more time to mature and find the right trainer/coach/mentor to help polish him to be more open and confident in his body language and movements. Here is hoping he stays injury free and finds the proper coaching to hone his skating skills and fluidity.

Go Vincent Go! All the best to you!

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
What a heartfelt performance, with so much passion and soul! I was cheering Vincent throughout the LP and teared up at the triumphant, emotional ending. So according to a TIME video on YouTube titled: Vincent Zhou Makes Olympic History By Landing A Quadruple Lutz | Meet Team USA | TIME, "First-time American Olympian Vincent Zhou became the first figure skater to land a quad lutz in any Olympic Games when he nailed the jump at the opening of his short program at the Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympic Games."

So Vincent made history along with Nathan and Mirai, but you hear more about Adam. Don't get me wrong, Adam deserves all the attention he gets, but NBC is not doing much to promote the rest of team USA, except all the hype around Nathan, causing his demise in the SPs. I am sure Vincent was able to concentrate and come out strong and slayed the LP (despite a couple of errors) since all attention and pressure were on Nathan. Vincent wanted to prove all the naysayers wrong and he sure did so! But it is not right that he is not getting the credit he deserves.

In case anyone missed this thread Zhou: "It's prime time baby!" under "Figure Skating: the Edge": Teammate Vincent Zhou earned a personal best of 192.16 points for a sixth-place finish after a highly difficult routine. The 2018 U.S. national bronze medalist landed three-clean quads: Lutz-triple toe, Salchow, and toe, but made stepped out of a quad flip and had a subpar landing on a solo quad Lutz. He finished a respectable sixth place overall with 276.69 points.

“For me to skate that well, to do two great programs, was just amazing,” said the 17-year-old. It is difficult to put into words. It has been such a ride over my 17 years. I have been through so much that it would take hours for me to say. To have a successful performance means so much to me. It is incredible. It was pure joy.”

The skater will turn 21 when the 2022 Olympic Winter Games in Beijing roll around.

“It’s prime time baby!” he laughed, adding that was his “Adam Rippon” moment.

“He is such a sassy, confident guy,” said Zhou of Rippon. “It’s kind of empowering to have him in the house.”

Zhou’s next competition is Worlds, so he won’t be staying for the Closing Ceremony.

“I will spend a few days watching competition and enjoying myself and after that, it’s time to get back and focus on the worlds,” he said. “I will continue to give it my all. No break.”

Vincent also posted a very heartfelt message on his Instagram account -

These are memories that I will think back on many decades later and smile an old, withered smile complete with knowledge that I made the most of my life, especially as a 17 year old Olympian. I placed 6th among the best skaters in the history of this sport and I am so very proud to do so representing the USA. My place is here and my time is now.

Vincent has a lot of heart and soul (an Old Soul, for sure) and he is very expressive and emotes in his own subdued, charming, teenager way. He just needs a bit more time to mature and find the right trainer/coach/mentor to help polish him to be more open and confident in his body language and movements. Here is hoping he stays injury free and finds the proper coaching to hone his skating skills and fluidity.

Go Vincent Go! All the best to you!

I agree about giving credit to Vincent for making history. USFSA did post some nice posts about Vincent on their facebook page, but I agree that NBC seems very lukewarm. But honestly it's probably better to have very little or no hype than the soul-crushing hype like Nathan received. I think this makes Vincent an underdog but very much close-to-podium potential going into the Worlds. Will he skate in the final or second to final group there, given his Olympic placement?

livetoskate

On the Ice
Is there a link anywhere? I got this vibe from him too. Is this his last year being in "highschool" (though I guess he's homeschooled)?

I read somewhere that Vincent already graduated from high school, at age 16, thanks to an online learning program. I think it's Connections Academy; sounds like a legit quality program. His older sister is at MIT so brains must run in the family! Once Vincent achieves all his skating goals and wins a bunch of medals in the future, he is sure to continue his education. He is so remarkable and a great role model!

Zenchio63

Final Flight
I read somewhere that Vincent already graduated from high school, at age 16, thanks to an online learning program. I think it's Connections Academy; sounds like a legit quality program. His older sister is at MIT so brains must run in the family! Once Vincent achieves all his skating goals and wins a bunch of medals in the future, he is sure to continue his education. He is so remarkable and a great role model!

In case anyone hasn't seen Vincent's cute video ad for Connections Academy, uploaded in 2014:

Vincent Zhou Excelling in Online School and Figure Skating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpy4vSYgcv8

"When I am out on the ice I feel freedom, freedom...cos I don't have to put my mind on anything else, just on what I love, just on what I am really passionate about."

Well, this precocious young man sure made his dreams come true, with his dedication, hard work and love of the sport! We are so proud of you, Vincent! :thumbsup:

livetoskate

On the Ice
In case anyone hasn't seen Vincent's cute video ad for Connections Academy, uploaded in 2014:

Vincent Zhou Excelling in Online School and Figure Skating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpy4vSYgcv8

"When I am out on the ice I feel freedom, freedom...cos I don't have to put my mind on anything else, just on what I love, just on what I am really passionate about."

Well, this precocious young man sure made his dreams come true, with his dedication, hard work and love of the sport! We are so proud of you, Vincent! :thumbsup:

Connections Academy should totally sponsor him too! After seeing that video, I started thinking that online curriculum would be a great option in the future for my child.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Connections Academy should totally sponsor him too! After seeing that video, I started thinking that online curriculum would be a great option in the future for my child.

Looks like Connections Academy is already one of his sponsors, along with Halstrom Academy, as listed on his site.

This short video says Vincent attended Capistrano Connections Academy and skipped a few grades and that he was the recipient of the Presidential Award for Educational Excellence. Don't know if he received the Award while still enrolled in the Academy or not but it could be a good indicator of the quality of the school, aside from Vincent being super smart. Meet Vincent Zhou, Team USA's Youngest Olympic Figure Skater
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjL-el0DufI

Zenchio63

Final Flight
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/video/olympic-skater-demonstrates-historic-quadruple-lutz-53149197

Vincent explaining how to do a quad lutz. Not that I want to see it anytime soon but I can imagine him as a coach in the future explaining this to young kids with his super intelligence and the kids not understanding a word :rofl:

He did a really good job explaining the motion and dynamics of the quad Lutz in this US Figure Skating video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knhvMHmeqUU

1:24 (Laughs) I’m good at it, honestly. Don’t try this at home, kids. Be safe! Wear safety goggles!" :laugh2: :rofl2: