Vincent Zhou | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Vincent Zhou

Zenchio63

Final Flight
A very insightful article on Vincent from Yahoo! Sports - Ready Player Zhou: American Skater is a Force to Be Reckoned with and a Voice to Be Listened to
https://sports.yahoo.com/ready-play...forced-reckoned-voice-listened-144314551.html

Excerpts

To speak with Vincent Zhou is to be inspired, intrigued and frightened. He has already made history in his sport this week, by being the first to land a quadruple lutz in Olympic competition. But conversations with this 17-year-old move away from skating as quickly as he takes off from the ice surface. He has complex thoughts about automation, evolution, world war, and the millennial generation.

“I’m not a typical American kid,” he says, “because I’m a Chinese-American kid.”

He wants to get a business degree “because it’s very practical” and work toward the next Olympics. Still there’s a unique role for him, as an athlete and beyond. He is only 17, yet he’s an old soul. There will be a need for people like him. “The future is bright but at the same time it could be a little bleak because humanity is not headed in the right direction,” he says. “If there is a world war, the other countries won’t even have a chance to destroy us because we’ll destroy us before they can. That is kind of a pessimistic outlook on it, but at the same time it’s a very realistic outlook on it.”

He is just a skater now, but he will be a voice. Whether Vincent Zhou is a real-life Player One (from a book by one of his favorite authors) or not, the world is starting to listen.

An Old Soul, indeed!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Yahoo article is a very interesting read, fascinating young man
a few more quote
"He almost views himself from an outsider’s perspective. “In the grand scope of the universe,” he says, “I don’t really matter at all.”"

"Everybody thinks they have the right for all their wishes to be fulfilled. And when it does NOT get fulfilled, they start blaming the people around them for not doing well enough." i think they omitted the "NOT" here , EDIT: or maybe not..

"Zhou even playfully suggested that one day there would be a skate boot that could propel a performer into more rotations and higher jumps than we can imagine now.":biggrin:

A few thoughts, it may seems Vincent view this world from outsider's perspective and a bit too realistic to the point of pessimistic, but I think there is an innate leadership live within him.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Another insightful article from The Mercury News -
American Teens Show Who are the Quad Kings in Korea
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/16/vincent-zhou-competes-in-free-skate-with-five-quads/

Zhou reflected on the accomplishment at the end of a 4-minute 40-second routine by dropping to his knees as tears leaked out. When he stood his tortured face told the tale of achievement. “There’s no better place than the Olympics to show emotion,” Zhou said.
He almost immediately started thinking about the 2020 Olympics in Beijing.
“I totally am,” he said. “It’s going to be my time.”

That's what I love so much about Vincent, that he is not afraid to show his emotions, despite looking very calm and introverted on the outside.
Yes, Vincent, when you make the podium at the next Olympics, we want to see your tears of joy and elation while kneeling down on the ice, sobbing and fist pumping in the Kiss & Cry, and total breakdown and triumphant cries (a la Savchenko & Massot) in the green room! I can already visualize that happening. It's definitely going to be your time! :)

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Found another great article from The Denver Post
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/02/21/us-olympic-figure-skaters-immigrant-heritage/
For Many U.S. Olympic Figure Skaters, Immigrant Heritage Yielded a Champion’s Mind-Set

To the extent Zhou has struggled, it has been confronting his shortcomings after bad practices. His standards for himself are extremely high.
“That’s part of the Asian-American way,” Zhou explained, “so when I don’t meet those standards, I come away feeling just this burning desperation that I didn’t do enough. It has been both good and bad because it has pushed me to do way too much and get injured, which is something that I’ve gotten much smarter about. But it has also helped me be hungry and be motivated to accomplish more.” (sounds like Nathan is the same, could be why Raf is unable to pull the leash, so to speak)
Zhou did just that in his Olympic debut, making history as the first to land a quad Lutz in Olympic competition. He went on to finish sixth (one spot behind U.S. teammate Nathan Chen), boosted by a free skate that included five quadruple jumps.
“Our parents basically made it from the bottom up,” Zhou said, reflecting on the Asian-American heritage he considers a gift.” Lots of the Asian-Americans on the Olympic team have a similar background, where their parents know what it’s like to struggle and have to work hard to get somewhere. That’s something they teach us, and it has helped us all succeed.”

YT also has a video by USA Today titled Asian-American Skaters Shine in Winter Olympics with Vincent talking in the beginning and at the end.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Sounds like Vincent made a good impression on many members of the press. Here is another article which is quite touching:

Adam Rippon and Vincent Zhou: Two Olympic figure skaters bound together by two loving moms

https://sports.yahoo.com/adam-rippon-vincent-zhou-two-olympic-figure-skaters-bound-together-two-loving-moms-091457131.html

Rippon, loud and colorful. Zhou, calm and poignant.
...the way Zhou can speak with a wisdom and worldliness far beyond his teenage years that causes even Rippon to stop and listen to each phrase.
Rippon said he’s learned from Zhou, mostly the unlikely sensibleness and professionalism that the teenager carries. “At 17, I wasn’t as mature as Vincent,” Rippon said. “I was seeing people who could jump better than I could or skate faster and I would be jealous. I would be jealous that I couldn’t do that. And now being older I really look at Vincent and I am in complete awe.”

I am sure most have seen Andrea Joyce's interview of Adam and the team at US Nationals where she called him the "Team Dad". Here is another video:

Adam Rippon on his two sons, Nathan Chen and Vincent Zhou
https://twitter.com/liliorum/status/965450357785743361

"Well, eleven years after I was born, I had two Asian children. As the father, I’m so proud of my sons because they were amazing in the men’s event. I feel nothing but pride, my all American boys, top of the game!"

Oh, Adam, you are such a hoot!:laugh:

Zenchio63

Final Flight
In case anyone hasn't seen Vincent "trying" to dance :roll9: Just kidding. He was adorable.
Cup of China 2017 Gala Exhibition Finale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCuBOX_-IEw

Vincent dancing with Boyang, Kolyada, Max, and Misha at the beginning; skating around 1:11 – 1:35; 2:50 (Sui hands him a rose). Due to the Russian commentator, it was hard to make out the Chinese announcer’s words, but I think he said Vincent is the real Quad King around 3:10.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Okay, finally the first fancam video of Vincent's OG FS! Cannot wait until the official videos can be uploaded. Looking forward to the ones with Eurosport commentary or even CBC, anything other than Johnny or Tara, though Johnny spoke well of Vincent at the US Nationals. I had to watch the Russian live stream, btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh43Gmng-CA

Just few of the many comments that echo my sentiments.

"This performance was spectacular! It makes no sense to me that viewers in the U.S. heard more than we needed to about Nathan Chen and Adam Rippon, but Vincent Zhou was ignored and received no coverage at all. Shame on NBC."

"Wow, just wow! I knew he was good but this was incredible! The guy sure knows how to peak at the right time. He’s got a lot of guts to perform at his highest level on the biggest stage. You can tell that he’s so self-driven and got some crazy athletic abilities, not to mention his natural charm on the ice. People, we are witnessing the birth of another great skater!"

Cue music

There was a boy
A very "wise" enchanted boy
They say he'll go very far
"Dreaming of something big"
A little shy, and sad of eye
But very wise was he

That should be your theme song, Vincent! And your fans know that you will go very far, indeed!

livetoskate

On the Ice
That's right! Vincent deserved more coverage by NBC. I hope he gets more appreciation in the years to come.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
That's right! Vincent deserved more coverage by NBC. I hope he gets more appreciation in the years to come.

I am certain he will get his due! People are already starting to notice his talent.

Here is one more post from me for the night. Vincent is hardly getting any attention nor credit so I am adding as much info as I can find to this fan thread. Hope you all enjoy.

Ice Talk Episode 49: Sasha Cohen/Vincent Zhou 11-15-2017
http://web.icenetwork.com/fans/icetalk

Vincent's part starts at 27:03. U.S. silver medalist joins the podcast to talk about how he mentally prepares for competition and dealing with the pressure that comes with being a first-year senior in an Olympic year.

Spoke about Cup of China, muscle memory, how he’s aware that sometimes he may skate around like a junior and how the team is working hard on his form and carriage* so that he presents a better image. (*the interviewer Nick McCarvel? was really impressed that he used the word, LOL.)
Pressure and expectation from fans, parents, coaches, judging system, but the biggest source of pressure is himself.

"From a very young age I was taught discipline and hard work, being raised in a Chinese American household."

Very diplomatic, thoughtful, well-spoken, driven and focused. The mature and determined mindset of a real champion!

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
I am certain he will get his due! People are already starting to notice his talent.

Here is one more post from me for the night. Vincent is hardly getting any attention nor credit so I am adding as much info as I can find to this fan thread. Hope you all enjoy.

Ice Talk Episode 49: Sasha Cohen/Vincent Zhou 11-15-2017
http://web.icenetwork.com/fans/icetalk

Vincent's part starts at 27:03. U.S. silver medalist joins the podcast to talk about how he mentally prepares for competition and dealing with the pressure that comes with being a first-year senior in an Olympic year.

Spoke about Cup of China, muscle memory, how he’s aware that sometimes he may skate around like a junior and how the team is working hard on his form and carriage* so that he presents a better image. (*the interviewer Nick McCarvel? was really impressed that he used the word, LOL.)
Pressure and expectation from fans, parents, coaches, judging system, but the biggest source of pressure is himself.

"From a very young age I was taught discipline and hard work, being raised in a Chinese American household."

Very diplomatic, thoughtful, well-spoken, driven and focused. The mature and determined mindset of a real champion!

Thanks for sharing!

Sometimes I worry a bit about how self-aware and thoughtful he is lololol, because it can result in some serious self-criticism... which is useful, but sometimes a little delusion can help too. He's literally fresh out of juniors. Then again, that wonderful mind and heart of his is what makes him him.

lyrichord

Rinkside
I’m glad Vincent is hustling hard to get noticed in China since NBC all but ignored him. Fox News of all sources called them out on not showing him when he landed the first quadruple lutz at the Olympics. I don’t think any other American skater/pair had their FP cut from prime time? His SP was shown only on the west coast during news break for east coast, which is still lame.

I hope the US federation will treat him better than an afterthought now that he’s had a sixth place finish at the Olympics. The US loves PCS skaters more than any other country it seems. Most other federations probably would have sent him to worlds last year for the experience after his silver medal since his jumps have so much value, but at least he served notice by winning junior worlds.

His carriage has definitely improved a huge amount in the last year alone, I could hardly believe he’s the same person as the junior skater from last season comparing this year’s nationals to last year’s. If he can keep improving at that rate, the sky is the limit.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
A really funny piece on "The Most Bonkers Music in Olympic Figure Skating this Year"
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/11/16999772/olympic-figure-skating-music-songs-beyonce-lorde-ed-sheeran

Vincent's SP “Chasing Cars” by Snow Patrol is listed as #23:

Listen, I wouldn’t be surprised for competitors to skate to bands like, say, Coldplay. But show me a single 17-year-old who has even heard of the 2006 song “Chasing Cars” by Snow Patrol. This isn’t even like, the original version or anything. For whatever reason, however, the U.S.’s Vincent Zhou is the sole exception to the teens-don’t-give-a-f**k-about-Snow-Patrol rule. I am shocked.
:rofl2::rofl:

Chopinskate started a thread under The Edge > "Skaters programs next season (your opinion)". I'm focusing my answers for Vincent here. Please share your choices, too.

Poignant and deep pieces to accentuate his old soul and maturity

The Mission a la Matt Savoie, beautifully choreographed by Tom Dickson.
The Feeling Begins
Medley of Sting songs: Fragile/A Thousand Years/Desert Rose/When We Dance/Fields of Gold

Love Songs (not sure how quads can be incorporated into them but they are just wishes)
"Imagination" by my favorite group, Earth, Wind & Fire (Orser skated to this song at Tribute to Earth, Wind & Fire on Ice '05).
"After the Love is Gone" also by EWF
"A Chinese Tall Story" by Joe Hisaichi

Alt Rock to show a different side of him
"How Soon Is Now" by the Smiths
"Heaven" by the Psychedelic Furs

I have a list of rock/upbeat songs but not sure if they are suitable for him. Need to think about it.
What songs/piece of music would you like to see Vincent skate to next season?

livetoskate

On the Ice
I wasn't too keen on his music this season.... too slow, dreary, and dreary for a young and exciting teen. How about something fast paced without lyrics. Vincent seems quite mature for his age, so how about something classical with depth, like the Pathetique Sonata. I know Malaguena has been overused but it's exciting and well suited for skating too.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
I wasn't too keen on his music this season.... too slow, dreary, and dreary for a young and exciting teen. How about something fast paced without lyrics. Vincent seems quite mature for his age, so how about something classical with depth, like the Pathetique Sonata. I know Malaguena has been overused but it's exciting and well suited for skating too.

Agreed, I think his "team" wanted to give Vincent a more mature persona, thus the music choices. I just had the opportunity to pull up some of his younger competitions and he had so much energy and charisma. He can definitely handle the classical pieces then. Vanessa Mae's "Contradanza" or "Toccata & Fugue in D Minor" for the modern twist.

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Thanks for sharing!

Sometimes I worry a bit about how self-aware and thoughtful he is lololol, because it can result in some serious self-criticism... which is useful, but sometimes a little delusion can help too. He's literally fresh out of juniors. Then again, that wonderful mind and heart of his is what makes him him.

You are very welcome. I can sympathize with him since I am also my own harshest inner critic. My guess is that Nathan is probably the same way. Thus their dedication and focus to get to their level. I hope after Worlds, both can relax a bit on the quads and focus on upping their PCS.

Not sure if Vincent’s self-deprecating humor is part of that inner critic or just him being his quirky, funny self:

https://twitter.com/govincentzhou/status/967507025780465665

https://twitter.com/govincentzhou/status/966908431150886913

Zenchio63

Final Flight
I’m glad Vincent is hustling hard to get noticed in China since NBC all but ignored him. Fox News of all sources called them out on not showing him when he landed the first quadruple lutz at the Olympics. I don’t think any other American skater/pair had their FP cut from prime time? His SP was shown only on the west coast during news break for east coast, which is still lame.

What exactly did Fox News say? Did they sound as outraged as the following tweets?
https://twitter.com/abbyriche/status/969388650986385408
STOP SLEEPING ON VINCENT ZHOU I SWEAR TO GOD
he literally made history at the olympics but i never see anyone acknowledge how talented he is or actually that he even skated at all ??? people only wanna talk about nathan and adam and pretend vincent doesn’t exist and i’m TIRED !! TIRED OF IT !!!!!

https://twitter.com/panda21595/status/966161604348792832
Karen Chen getting the TV coverage she deserves but the kind Vincent Zhou didn’t get #olympics

I hope the US federation will treat him better than an afterthought now that he’s had a sixth place finish at the Olympics.

Preach! He may not have skated cleanly or have high PCS, but this is his first senior year, and he placed higher than Patrick Chan, for goodness sakes! Even Dennis Ten, Sochi Bronze Medalist, didn’t make the cut. The incomparable Daisuke Takahashi came in at 6th in Sochi, too! I hope the US Federation will do all it can to polish this diamond in the rough, instead of putting all their eggs in the same Nathan basket.

livetoskate

On the Ice
You are very welcome. I can sympathize with him since I am also my own harshest inner critic. My guess is that Nathan is probably the same way. Thus their dedication and focus to get to their level. I hope after Worlds, both can relax a bit on the quads and focus on upping their PCS.

Not sure if Vincent’s self-deprecating humor is part of that inner critic or just him being his quirky, funny self:

https://twitter.com/govincentzhou/status/967507025780465665

https://twitter.com/govincentzhou/status/966908431150886913

Haha, so hilarious. I love those photos with Vincent crudely photoshopped into them.