Deniss Vasiljevs | Page 150 | Golden Skate

Deniss Vasiljevs

DenissVFan

Medalist
May 21st can't come soon enough! Fingers crossed for a smooth restoration of all the skills for Deniss and all the skaters. Quads would be nice to see next season but after this long break I'll be relieved to see triples to begin with (again, it applies to everybody). And before anything else, I'll be relieved to see competitions actually take place in the autumn as first cancellations have been already announced.

I'm sure they have at least some ideas for programmes. If Stephane had three Deniss playlists at the beginning of the season, he must have six now :p The question is: will Deniss finally have a Star Wars programme? ;)

Meanwhile, it was a joy to rewatch Deniss's performances from Helsinki Worlds!

DenissVFan

Medalist
It's May 21st, so I really hope Deniss is finally back on the ice, but no confirmation yet as far as I have seen.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Don't tempt fate :devil:
However last time he had his hair shaved he was looking OK (excluding long hair on his neck :slink:).

The hair situation reminded me of what I posted after Deniss and Stephane's last visit to a hair salon: that I hoped Deniss wouldn't be inspired by one of Stephane's more radical haircuts :p I don't suppose a hair salon was involved with the current haircuts :laugh:

icetug

Medalist
My lemon pie tastes better. Where and how the best Latvian skater quarantined?

New and quite long interview for Latvian (?) website.

Quotations I found really interesting:
We all find ways to cope with this extraordinary situation, and after all, something good also came out of it. This time allowed me to recover from past injuries.

All this time I led an active lifestyle, went hiking, began to run more, also spent a lot of time working with the coach on my choreography.

At the very beginning it was difficult to manage a lot of free time and empty moments, because I'm not used to it. Although this allowed me to listen to myself, and I found different areas where I could improve my skills and be more attentive. From that moment I spent much more time on the street. I started running and hiking, and I was happy to explore the picturesque region in which I live. In fact, I am in better shape now and I am very focused on my next seasons.

I even had the opportunity to reorganize my apartment, to make it more comfortable. I also created a certain mode that allows me to start the day well, and soon I saw that this positively affects my productivity.

Every time I skate, I try to do it in the best way and every time I work hard on it. It's like constantly sculpting a program, like a sculpture. Instead of carving a statue, I create a program in the same way that any kind of art materializes.

Right now, my goal is to compete to the best of my ability and return to the ice stronger than I was before, but in the future I would love to come back and conduct classes in Daugavpils. I really want to share the knowledge that I have acquired, perhaps even through coaching in the later stages of my career.

The only advice I could give to parents [of kids starting to skate] is to trust a competent coach and not put too much pressure on their children. Sport must be a positive experience in order to achieve excellent results.

I can’t wait for a trip to Lausanne. I miss the feeling of energy and enjoy the atmosphere of a big city. I will definitely go to the cinema and order a large plate of sushi in my favorite restaurant. I also look forward to returning to Japan.

We must also use this unexpected series of events to think about the environment, start working more efficiently and end habits that we could not cope with before. I wish everyone to remain safe, healthy, reflect on themselves and see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Deniss is wise beyond his years. He really is one of those skaters that I wish I could have a 5 minute conversation with.

DenissVFan

Medalist

As always very thoughtful and insightful. I'm especially relieved to hear about healing from past injuries because his ankle injury was a big source of worry last season. Just as we'd anticipated, he was active and productive. It's great that he could spend time outdoors in Champery and that he feels stronger because of it. And it's exciting that they've been working on choreography :)

The future is uncertain but I hope Deniss knows that his fans are looking forward to seeing him perform again whenever it may be.

Deniss is wise beyond his years. He really is one of those skaters that I wish I could have a 5 minute conversation with.

He is. His appeal definitely lies in more than figure skating. I'm always interested in what he has to say about various topics, for example his philosophy behind baking, history, and so on :) And I love that he can talk about all of these topics in more than one language.

AgnesR

On the Ice
This morning when I logged in, I just wanted to complain :frown: about Deniss keeping complete silence about his everyday activities, except training, of course. Then some minutes later there appeared icetug's quatations. And here you are! At last some information! :)

The journalist Aljona Dolinda have done a brilliant job interviewing him and a lot of thanks to Aljona Derden for translating it! :thank:

I case somebody wants to read a full version, here it is.

Original English version by Deniss ��
https://rus.delfi.lv/woman/zhizn/st...kKK5wMcULdgO_sbvHNSNW0_7kKafksoTOnmM0hGExzK1E

1. This has never happened before - due to the spread of the coronavirus in 2020, major sport events, including the world championship in figure skating, have been canceled. Ноw unusual is it for you to live in a world in which competitions and other great sport events do not take place?
Deniss:
It is pretty devastating to see my sport and my culture suffer in this manner. The life of skaters revolves around these events and their cancellation or postponement made it very strange at first. It has been the longest break away from the ice that I had so far in my skating career. I carefully followed the rules and restrictions imposed to limit the spread of the virus and therefore train very differently than usual. I am of course very disappointed to not have been able to perform for the World Championship because of all the efforts I have made to reach that point this last season but I think about everyone in this situation and the measures taken by the governments were needed in this crisis. We all find ways to cope with this extraordinary situation and some good came out of it as well. I took good care of myself during this time as always but training differently also made it possible for me to heal and recover properly from past injuries.
2. In many countries of the world, the rhythm of life has slowed down, but motion is very important for any athlete - regular exercises, regardless of any circumstances. How did you manage to resolve this issue? In what regime and where are you training now? Do you have less workouts?
Deniss:
Since I couldn’t skate I had the opportunity to focus deeply on off-ice workout. Actually in Switzerland the rules were not that bad because we were allowed to go outside. Having the chance to live in a very nice village in the mountain I could benefit from a wonderful scenery for off-ice training. The intensity of training was a bit less than usual. I still had structure and a busy schedule but I also had more free time than before. Living close to my coach made it possible for me to keep training thoroughly even during this difficult time. Since May 21st the rink has reopen and I am very happy to be back on the ice.
3. What workouts on your schedule now dominate - power, choreography, etc.?

Deniss:
All the off-ice activities of my training program have lasted longer than usual because I could not skate and we used that lost time to improve every aspect at the same level. I stayed active during this time, I went hiking, I started running more but I also spent a lot of time working on my choreography with my coach. On the ice I will need to catch up as everyone else after the break but generally I think I will be stronger than before.
4. Recently watched a workout with you and your trainer online. There were challenging exercises that you coped with easily. Is this your usual workload?

Deniss:
The workload was less than usual. Overall I focus on staying in good shape because I have to be healthy and strong in order to skate to my potential. My coach very well adapted the workout to the situation and we planned a long-term training instead of powerful high season training. For example, I reduced the amount of weight I carry during workouts. We focused on keeping me in the best shape possible without harming myself until I could skate again. We already adapt the program I follow during the year depending on the seasons.
5. How, in your opinion, will change figure skating after the end of quarantine conditions? What will this sport gain and what may it lose?

Deniss:
Economically everyone suffered. Even with the quarantine conditions gradually changing, shows were cancelled, this season’s competitions were cancelled even the next competitions might be postponed. Some athletes may even have lost their motivation to workout not knowing when or how the next competitions would take place. Future competitions and ratings are very important for the motivation and dedication of figure skaters but only time will tell what will happen. I hope that things will get back to normal in the rightful time.
6. How has changed your lifestyle due to all restrictions? What is the most difficult thing for you in this situation, and where you managed to find even some advantages?

Deniss:
At the beginning the amount of free time and empty moments were difficult to manage because I was not used to that. This allowed me to reflect on myself though, and I found different areas where I could improve and be more thorough. I spent much more time outside from this point on. I started running and hiking and I was very pleased to discover the beautiful region I live in. I am actually in a better shape now and I am very focused on my next seasons.
7. Now many people have begun something new, previously inaccessible because of lack of time. Maybe you also have discovered some new activity or you succeed in something that you have long wanted to do?

Deniss:
Beside outside training, I have actually been cooking and baking. I always loved to spent time in the kitchen but this situation allowed me to improve my skills, my lemon tart is getting very tasty. I even had the chance to reorganize my apartment and my living space has become more relaxing. I also created a different routine to start the day well and I could soon see the effects on my daily productivity.
8. What will you do first when all restrictions have been removed?

Deniss:
I can’t wait to go to Lausanne. I miss feeling the energy and enjoying the atmosphere of a big city. I will for sure go to the cinema and have a nice plate of Sushi in my favourite restaurant. I also look forward to going back to Japan.
9. When do you plan to return to Latvia? How much has your plans violated by current situation?

Deniss:
Everything was postponed. As soon as I can I will go to Latvia to see my parents and our dog “Erna”. Losing the chance to enjoy figure skating as leisure as well only motivated me to train harder though. I want to be in a perfect shape to start again. However as everyone else I don’t know if the competitions will take place this year and that frightens me a little because preparing for the next competitions is one the most important motivator in any kind of sport.
10. Do you plan to hold a master class in Daugavpils in the next year or two (as far as I remember, once you were going to hold such event, but it failed)?

Deniss:
Two years ago I came with the Skating School and we held classes for local skaters. Right now my focus is to compete to the best of my abilities and get back on the ice stronger than before but in the future I would gladly come back and hold classes in Daugavpils. I really want to share the knowledge I have acquired perhaps by coaching at a later point in my career.
11. I have heard many times how parents say to their children: “if Denis Vasiliev was able, then you can too” or they say to the coaches: “He / she will be Denis Vasiliev!” Then these children stay in the same group, because they have not started even to jump, but their parents still believe that they will become “you”. On the one hand, it is good when there is an example to follow. However, what would you like to say to the parents of children who are just planning or have just started figure skating?

Deniss:
I am honoured to be such an example for these kids and I would like to encourage them to pursue their dreams. To the parents the only advice I could give is that they should trust a competent coach and don’t pressure the children too much. Sport has to be a positive experience to achieve great results.
12. Why, in your view, the Latvian skaters cannot grow to the international level? Is this a problem with the skating rink or coaching staff?

Deniss:
Skating at an international level is the result of many combined elements. The athlete, the parents and the coaches have to be committed, motivated and disciplined in order to achieve certain results. In general, the combination of both the quality of the skating rink and competent coaching staff is required to have an ideal training environment. Skaters need both internal and external positive motivation to achieve their goals.
13. How quickly can you understand that figure skating is your calling, or does it come later, with results and experience, and the feeling inside “figure skating is mine” gives no guarantee that this sport is suitable for a person?

Deniss:
There is no way to measure that. It is very personal. A lot depends on how quickly you mature and how important this dream is to you. You cannot force someone to commit to a sport. It is something that you need to find for yourself.
14. Any of your participation in competitions or any achievements are actively covered, especially by local media. For Daugavpils, you and your exhibition stand in the “Ledus Halle” are the cultural and sport monument. Do you remember who installed this stand and when did it happen?

Deniss:
I am honored and grateful to be part of the community and to set an example for future generations of skaters. However I do not remember the exact moment when it was installed.
15. Do you think culture and sport are completely different things or very similar? What is their common denominator?
Deniss:
Sport IS a culture. It is ART, it is a way to express yourself and be part of a community with whom you share the same living style. I don’t think you can separate them, especially in figure skating. Figure skating is basically a very intricate mix of physical abilities, hard work centred on your physical abilities to perform a great show. At the same time it is a performance, which is a completely pure form of art, you put a lot of thought and efforts into it and you create it from scratch. Every time I skate, I try to represent it in the best way and I work hard on that every time. It is like constantly sculpting a program. Instead of sculpting a statue I create a program in the same way any kind of art is materialized. Working on it, polishing it etc. As any other kind of art, showing off abilities in a sport can lead to inspire others to do great in their own passion. Especially looking at the achievements of people that come from the same culture and environment, these dreams that one set for oneself become more achievable. If you work hard and you do well you will succeed in life.
16. On your mind, what contribution should be made so that the hometown begins to consider a person as a cultural heritage and begins to put up cultural monuments (in this context, the stand dedicated to you can be regarded as such)?

Deniss:
Any great success is worth exposing in order to bring awareness of such achievements in a community. Visibility is key in order to encourage future generations to reach greatness too. For example I admire Mr. Dubrovin and the monument dedicated to him is well deserved and it shows the good things that people can do. Monuments are reminders but they also inspire others to do great things too.
17. Perhaps you would like to change something in this stand? Do something differently?
Deniss:
I would perhaps suggest for any exposed achievement a more biographical illustration. Athletes could be portrayed with a timeline of their life’s work. Like in a museum, the efforts and also the previous smaller accomplishment leading to the big competitions would best explain to any viewer the sacrifice and hard work needed to reach high level of achievements.
18. Would you like a sports museum to appear in Daugavpils with the achievements of all the city’s athletes (including yours)?

Deniss:
Building museums adds value to the culture of a community. Praising achievements of our people could bring the next generations to reach higher too. I would be honoured to be in a sport museum if it were to be built.
19. What would you most like to wish during this difficult period for all of us?

Deniss:
It is a difficult time for all but it will pass thanks to the efforts that everyone is making. We all found very interesting solutions to manage the time and connect to the community in different ways than usual. We should also use this unexpected series of event to think about the environment, working more efficiently and destroying habits that we didn’t see possible before. I wish that everyone would stay safe, healthy, reflect on themselves and find the bright at the end of the tunnel.
By Alona Dolinda

Лучший латвийский фигурист Денис Васильев из-за пандемии оказался в заточении в швейцарском шале. Соревнования были отменены, тренировки на льду тоже, поэтому 20-ле...
delfi.lv
"Мой лимонный пирог получается все вкуснее": где и как лучший латвийский фигурист провел карантин

icetug

Medalist
I had time to watch their joint workout just for a moment, but I'm sure after those dozen of minutes that Deniss can be a great coach right now :) On the other hand Aljona is known as a very demanding coach and Deniss could easily keep up with her. They are both so admirable strong.

icetug

Medalist

icetug

Medalist
The showcase of the skaters from the Palladium took place on Saturday. They showed one of their programs for the next season. Deniss performed to Romeo and Juliet by Sergei Prokofiev and this is presumably his new FP :) (I'm not going to remember what I wrote on R&J programs a year ago :laugh:).

Ladybug89

On the Ice
It was apparently a program with only three jumping passes..
As he said his SP is by a Latvian composer it can‘t really be his SP though...
I am wondering if it‘s maybe an exhibition. Rika also performend an exhibition at the showcase and Stéph performed the programs he had prepared for FAOI. So I can imagine the R&J is his exhibition.

Could of course also have been only a part of the FP...

icetug

Medalist
It was apparently a program with only three jumping passes..
As he said his SP is by a Latvian composer it can‘t really be his SP though...
I am wondering if it‘s maybe an exhibition. Rika also performend an exhibition at the showcase and Stéph performed the programs he had prepared for FAOI. So I can imagine the R&J is his exhibition.

Could of course also have been only a part of the FP...
As Deniss said his FS would be "balletic" so R&J by Prokofiev quite suits to the description. And I'm not sure if there were only 3 jumps or the person writing about the showcase just remembered 3 of them... But certainly it can be his EX. Previously Deniss' EX programs were meant as a part of an ice show. R&J suits to ice shows really well, so who knows what they plan :)