Deniss Vasiljevs | Page 132 | Golden Skate

Deniss Vasiljevs

DenissVFan

Medalist
That second lutz was zayaked... If I wasn't hallucinating I saw Deniss land that 4T-3T in practice (on IG). Now to see that in competition!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
That second lutz was zayaked... If I wasn't hallucinating I saw Deniss land that 4T-3T in practice (on IG). Now to see that in competition!

I believe that was intended to be a combination. I also hear from someone present (and was able to talk to them) that Deniss improvised some of the contents and changed things around and it backfired... :eekn:

icetug

Medalist
A CS bronze and a score better than his last season's SB in the 1st competition of the season. :agree:

And better score than at Lombardia two years ago. Generally the best start of the season in his career :agree:. He got +17 GOE in both programs, it's a huge number showing how polished the program elements are.

I believe that was intended to be a combination. I also hear from someone present (and was able to talk to them) that Deniss improvised some of the contents and changed things around and it backfired... :eekn:

Improvisation is the only good way of skating to his FS music :laugh:. As Judith said it should be 4T or 3T instead of 3T+3T. For me it was like Deniss felt bad that he didn't jump 4T so he decided that +3T would make him feel better ;). On the other hand, he should have jumped 3S instead of this 3Lz and maybe wouldn't have fall (and definitely not zayaking).

About his FS costume, don't you think it's kind of recycling of his previous costumes? The back is like his "Tosca" vest, part of the pattern in front is similar to "Nocturne" costume, and there is something like a fragment of his "Samurai" costume on the right shoulder. Puzzling idea :)

The "Lotus Feet" is a great piece of music however it's definitely not easy to perform. It's a bold decision to use it for skating as no way audience starts clapping to the rythm ;) I'd say it's mature music for a mature skater and Deniss shows how he matured as a performer.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Tatjana Flade interviewed Deniss after the FS :) with a cameo from Stephane :laugh: He talks about why he chose his FS music, and then goes on a long passionate spiel about his love of baking. Honestly, Steve Vai is not my cup of tea, but when Deniss starts explaining his programs, I can't help but be swayed. He's just so articulate (and in his what, 3rd language???). And with the baking...gosh, I hope someday we all will get to sample some of his creations :p I'm very glad that he has the ability and desire to develop himself in various ways, much as I want him to become one of the greats of figure skating. No matter how long your sports career lasts, there is still a whole life to live afterward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hknW11FHgMQ

AgnesR

On the Ice
I watched FS again and it was interesting to watch Swiss Daddy's reaction. Steph was so overflowing emotional and enthusiastic! Complete silence in the hall! He embarrassed Deniss. :con3: People around me think he shouldn't have been so strict, but I think, probably, he should have. Two performances and two falls! No way! I definitely want you to be on the podium at the most tough competitions :medal", my dear boy! So, stay on your feet and listen to your coach! You have the most caring coach. :);)

But speaking seriously, it was so wonderful to see Deniss. He looks so happy and relaxed. He is far more confident in himself than he was last year. And he seems to have grown- up and matured at last, and now we see Deniss as he will be. He has such beautiful body lines and he is so graceful.

It's such a pleasure to watch him. I had a feeling he didn't skate, but he was gliding on the ice as easily as a bird's feather. And his mastery has really grown. He will still be refining and refining his programs, and we can pin hopes on a great season. :thank:

I hope the judges will be as excited as me.

AgnesR

On the Ice
About his FS costume, don't you think it's kind of recycling of his previous costumes? The back is like his "Tosca" vest, part of the pattern in front is similar to "Nocturne" costume, and there is something like a fragment of his "Samurai" costume on the right shoulder. Puzzling idea :)

I agree with you to some extent. My first impression was the same although it looks very well on him. I think he would look perfect even if he had only looser pants and an exquisite shirt on.

icetug

Medalist
I agree with you to some extent. My first impression was the same although it looks very well on him. I think he would look perfect even if he had only looser pants and an exquisite shirt on.

Surely Deniss looks great. And surely he could wear anything and still would look great ;). I was just guessing what was behind the idea for his costume. Maybe the word "recycled" was misleading (I'm a bit eco freak so I welcome every form of recycling :laugh:), what I wanted to point out can be described also by the word "collage". As if Deniss gathered pieces of his previuos costumes in this one to create a symbol/sign of experience he got during previous seasons. It was just a loose thought at 2 a.m. :eek::

Tsurara

On the Ice
His FS was such a beauty, I could see beautiful petals of cherry blossoms glowing and dancing by his performance. I'm sure it was even more mesmerizing to those who watched it live.

It's interesting that he called Steve Vai, a 'composer', instead of 'musician/guitarist', and he is indeed one. It's the "artists know arts" moment to me. Deniss' image of the tune being "an old big tree" with leaves changing colors is very intriguing too, as it's really a spiritual piece, and to me, it's about the cosmos.

If, in case, any of you wonder what 'lotus feet' supposed to mean, here is a short essay given by Vai.com

-The Sublime Essence of the Lotus Feet
https://www.vai.com/minisites/realillusions/07lotusfeet_sublime.html
After running into many people who asked me where I came up with the enigmatic title for "Lotus Feet," I figured an in-depth explanation of what the term means might be helpful - if not downright enlightening.
:
Read on. It's time to blossom...

And if you're looking for a story in the music, it's a rock fable compiled together with 10 more songs.
https://www.vai.com/minisites/realillusions/index.html
Its end goes like this:
Pamposh’s final question before drifting into a state of transcendent ecstasy was, “But Master, if everything is an illusion, then why does anything matter?”
To which the master replied, “It may all be an illusion, but it’s a very real illusion.”

ime

Rinkside
To be honest, consider the ...jump math mistake that probably cost him a silver....I kind of understand i gotta Steph’s reaction ( I mean, it is frustrated in...general (sigh)) , he should have been 2nd if he either do the 3/eu/3jump or do a 3S instead of Lz .... but I guess when you are on the ice and in the competition, the nerve could easily get you , and it is really trick to figure out which jump is the right one so.....

Talking for the New program, I love love love both the SP and FS, but personally I find the FS is both fascinating and confusing........ so, thanks for everyone’s ideas and discussion! ( And I really like Icetug’s idea of put every piece of past custom together which symbolize the growth from a boy to a man !

icetug

Medalist
If you haven’t already watched these fancam videos (SP and FS) from Nepela Memorial on youtube, I strongly recommend them – they are way better than official stream. There is also video from his FS practice.

Just several thoughts about his programs and performances.

SP – the music is very well edited, cuts are unnoticeable. And with the second line cut off it becomes a universal confession to the loved one. What is smart.
As Deniss was wearing his Bloodstream top during the practice I wonder if he took it along just in case he wouldn’t get his TMiL costume on time or he took two costumes as he wasn’t sure which program would he choose till he came to Slovakia. I like his SPs equally so I’m really curious which one we are going to see more frequently and how Deniss decides on one of them.

I’m relieved he can jump combo with +triple again. And that his jumps are much lighter and confident than last season. The fall on 3A while he landed 3As successfully during a practice was unfortunate and hope it never happens again. Spins are pure masterpieces, he controlled them in 100%. And I admire this move (just after twizzles).

FS - another great editing. While it hits my personal taste (I loved Steve Vai’s guitare as far back as he played with Frank Zappa), I'm quite sure "Lotus Feet" is not a crowd pleaser. Deniss admitted he took it as a challenge and it's obvious that a lot of musicality and inner sensitivity is needed to perform to this music.
The program very much depends on his performing skills - but equally shows how excellent performer he is. It's like a win-win situation (of course in case of Deniss who is able to deal with the challenge). It builds a picture of Deniss as a mature skater who doesn't actually need to be led by the hand nor to strictly follow very detailed choreography to give a beautiful performance. At the same time the program gives him a breath, doesn’t rush him, seems to be very comfortable – and maybe that was Stephane's idea: to give Deniss a comfort as he could focus on the most difficult elements.

Will it help Deniss to land both 3As and 4T? Hope so. But I understand why he didn’t decide to jump 4T at Nepela: he didn’t land it in practice at all, though he jumped it at least 6-8 times. Sometimes I wish his technique was worse… He tries to jump quads like Yuzuru, with minimal prerotation. How many skaters do it nowadays? ;)