Denis Margalik | Golden Skate

Denis Margalik

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Argentinian figure skater Denis Margalik was born June 3, 1997, in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
First of all, big congratulations to Alma Moir :bow: :ghug:, who is retiring one of her "hats" -- coach (for 42 years) of the varsity figure skating team at Western University.

An article in Alma's honor mentions Denis (in the context of future coaching for the team).

... There is a prime candidate in Denis Margalik, the lone male on the Mustangs team. He has junior worlds experience and served as Moir’s assistant the past couple of seasons.

“He’s very high-level and competed at junior worlds and represented Canada and Argentina in the past,” Moir said. “I’d be silly not to use that, but he’s applied to medical school and doesn’t know where he’ll be yet.

“If he’s around, he’ll still be involved, but we’ll probably start advertising for someone.” ...

https://lfpress.com/sports/local-sports/western-skating-coach-ready-to-retire-after-42-years (Feb 14)​

Hat tip to Scott's sweet tweet about his mother:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Denis is doing graduate studies in biomedical engineering at the University of Toronto. Spotted him yesterday, but thought it too awkward to say hi 😶

He's in a lab which mostly works on developing nanoparticles for cancer therapy. I did a brief stint with them - cool topics, fun people :D

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Thank you!
I didn't even know him.
Hopefully, in Toronto he's got more ice than his compatriot Mauro Calgagno (a 24mx12m rink with two pillars in the middle).