Anna Duskova & Martin Bidar | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Anna Duskova & Martin Bidar

Alex D

Record Breaker
Anna & Martin, extended review Jr worlds

Reposting my extended review of these two from the "column", I hope to not look like a spammer, but I really love these two ;)

3.0 "Because it´s too difficult"

This is, what Maxim Trankov told me, when we had a chat about the reasons for the lack of pairs at Nebelhorn, a competition in which we only had seven reaching the finish line. He also said, there is a lot of talent in the Czech Republic and he is so right about that!

3.1 Anna Dushkova & Martin Bidar

Pairs Skating took quite a dip for me when all those Quads came up, very similar to the men's competitions. I just do not support falling for points, but I appreciate a strong will combined with doable difficulty, great balance between the partners and good story lines. All of that and more, do Anna and Martin offer.

These two, have won the Juniors and they have done so, with a super high level of difficulty, clean execution of their elements and a super charming attitude. If you see skaters as often as I do at times, then you see how they progress over a season. I am totally honest with you, when I saw them early in the season, I wouldn´t have thought about a medal at junior worlds and I certainly wouldn´t have dreamed about a golden one. That being said, right from the first moment on, I saw something that you can call sympathy.

Anna, was a skater who just never gave up. I saw her fall in practice 10 times in a row and she kept doing the element until she did no longer fall. Martin, was on the ice, all by himself, doing nothing for 30 minutes than lifting air, spinning with air or throwing air – as Anna, was not around during the practice. It is dedication and strong will, to perform at your absolute best and this is also what these two said about themselves. "We want to show our best, the placements, do not matter much for us".

You can classify Anna as the smile and Martin the Joker, and it´s really the best of both worlds for me. A super strong male part, who doesn't mind making a joke or even putting his tongue out during competition while Anna is in the air and it makes them so likable and natural. These skaters are no VIP´s, that you must ask for an interview and then they don´t show up, or those that will just go, if you are one second late, no they appreciate to be there and be a part of the so called "normal folks" on this planet.
Their skating can compete with the best from Russia, the alignment that I so admire with Russian pairs, can be found here with those two, from Prague, who definitely do not have the funding like the top pairs in the States, China or Russia and yet, they can keep up with them or even out-skate them as seen here.

Keeping up is a good point by the way, as so often the male part can not keep up with the lady, something which isn´t even their fault! I am a male too and I can´t be a women, I cripple my legs already if I even think about pulling my leg a tiny bit towards a split! Therefore, what Martin does on ice, can not be rated high enough.
He has a super flexibility, as seen on the pair spin in their Free, but also the very present attitude of a Maxim Trankov, of course less mature, but he is not hiding behind his beautiful lady and I love that so much, just like Anna´s super landings, as seen on the triple throw Lutz, an element that the top three Seniors at Europeans didn´t have!

The so called balance, is one of the hardest things to achieve in pairs and dance, and it is so present with these two skaters, but also with so many other skaters and we really have to give credit to the males, who are not stiff or the usual truck driver, no they really care for their ladies, do all those difficult spins and lines with them and don´t treat them bad. A really bright future lays ahead of us in pairs, thanks to the ability of those guys and girls.

As for Anna & Martin, next season, they want to step up and join the seniors, with the requirement of a third lift element in the Free, something that I am somehow not in the slightest worried about.
Maybe, they will fall a lot again at the start, but at Europeans and Worlds, who knows what will happen, maybe again personal bests like now at Debrecen, with their 181.82 in combined total, 64.71 in the Short and 117.11 in the Free.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Right enough. I never thought about the significance of Europeans being in Ostrava next year!

Don't they look lovely in the photos! And with Tomas too!

And looking at this photo in particular brings back so many memories, because I have walked down that street!!! (That's Wenceslas Square in Prague. The building between them is the National Museum, which unfortunately I didn't have a chance to go into).

Like the way the medals came with presentation boxes that allow the ribbon to be on display too.

Just a pity about the size of the medals...

(Sorry, I know I'm like a stuck record when it comes to small medals)

CaroLiza_fan

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I've translated two short articles fromt the Czech newspapers. As always I tried to keep the meaning of everything, even though I didn't know how to translate some sentences. But the meaning should be all here. Sorry for mistakes, here are the articles:

„We skated without a mistake“ says Bidař after a gold medal from the World Juniors
During his early years in skating he used to hear figure skating will not be the right sport for him. However it hasn’t discouraged Martin Bidař away from his dream. And it has paid off. Last week in Debrecen (Hungary), together with his partner Anna Dušková he won the historical first gold medal from the WJC for the Czech Republic.
Czech skaters captured the SP without a problem and on the next day they won FP as well and they possessed the whole competition, defeating two Russian pairs.
For the two of us and also for our country this is a historical success. „We travelled to Hungary with no big hopes“ says 17 year old from České Budějovice.
Together with his partner, they have just finished the season of their life. After the 2nd places at the JGPF and also at the Youth Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway they crowned their season in Hungary. „After all those 2nd place this is a deserved reward“ smiles Bidař.
However the road to gold was full of doubts. The young pair was in the 1st place after the first day with a 5 -point lead over the Russian pair. But the experiences from previous international competitions were unequivocally the advantage for the Russians couples.
„Over the edge“ skate
„We knew they (the Russians) have better FP than us, which they confirmed for example in Norway at the Youth Olympics, so even after the first day we didn’t hope for a medal“ remembers student of sanitary high school in Prague. But the great FP guaranteed the historical success for Czech Republic and also the personal best for the both of young skaters. „The program was very good. We skated clean, without any mistakes“ judges his performance Bidař.
It confirms also Martin’s mother Iveta Bidařová, who watched the performance in record in České Budějovice. „I wasn’t able to watch it live, I was really nervous“ admits the women, who introduced her son to skating. „They skated the program over their abilities“ says the head coach of a skating club in České Budějovice.
Martin competes together with Anna since the age of 8. They were paired by the coach Eva Horklová. It meant a difficult practices in Prague.
First I started to travel there. “I’ve been going to school there since I was 12 and now I’m a sophomore“ describes Bidař. It is the long time cooperation what helps the Czech juniors. Their best qualities are skating skills and synchronization. According to Iveta Bidařová it has been created since the young age.
Reigning world junior champions still struggle with a little problem. Their problem is often mental endurance. 16 –years old Anna and 17- years old Martin have finished just their second season at the international scene (I think this a mistake, this must be their 3rd or maybe even 4th).
„In the past this was a big problem especially for Martin. But the girl is very ambitious and a great fighter too, so they always help each other“ says Iveta Bidařová. And Martin confirms they’ve already found the way how to spend a competition day. It is more professional and we forget all the pressure“ thinks Bidař.
They will face the real pressure next season, when they want to skate at the EC in Ostrava. New junior champions are aware that competitions with in the senior category will be much more difficult.
Even though the results from this year’s WJC would be enough for the 6th place at the EC 2016. „I tis going to be a very difficult season. We will start at both categories“ knows Bidař.

From shyness and fears to the gold
They had their first try out on the ice six years ago as a kids. „I was ashamed, everyone was skating alone and we were holding our hands with Martin, doing crossovers“ remembers Anna Dušková. „For me the biggest fear was a moment when I was supposed to lift her over my head“ says Martin Bidař. From shyness and fears they made it to the world junior champion title, the first one in the Czech history.
Bidař is 17 years old and was born in České Budějovice, but now he lives with the family of one year younger Dušková in Lysá nad Labem, from where they both go to their schools every morning and in the afternoons they meet on practices again. „We spent most of the time together but we don’t argue“ says Dušková. The student of the first year of high school is informal leader of the pair. „During training camp in Canada the choreographer came to me after a while, pointed at Anna and said she is the boss“ describes the coach Eva Horklová, who has been working with the talented couple since the very beginning.
„Martin should be the leader, but I always have to push him a little bit. He needs to know everything clearly and quickly. So I ask him, but in fact I just announce what I want to“ admits Anna. She has got a support in Bidař on the ice. „He is kind of a lifesaver dog. He would never let her fall down from a lift, he will rather save her and that is important“ says the coach.
Both skaters have also a good results in solo skating, but the season, in which they won the gold in Debrecen and also silver medals at Junior Worlds and Youth Olympics, has made their plans clear (to concentrate on pairs skating). They can compete three more times at the World Juniors and next season they would even like to try European championships in Ostrava.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
It's good that they want to try the EC next season, but are still aiming for JWC. I think they have a good chance of making a name for them if they wait a bit to go head to head with all the other teams. And they are SO young, it's surprising how mature they are, and how much they evolved this year. They should try the next Olympics, but mostly to get experience because they will have a lot more chances in the next cycle.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
So they finally decided to compete only in pairs :) Thank you Sophie-Anna for translating the interview! :thank:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
A great Article from GS: http://www.goldenskate.com/2016/05/anna-duskova-martin-bidar/ :)

I'm kind of dissapointed they don't turn fully senior next year. I was hoping they will try to get as much experience in seniors as they could before the Olympics. Also, I think they would do good in GP and earn some money for future training. But at least they will compete at Europeans! :cheer: They keep their FP so I guess they would just do some changes for senior version and they can focus on doing Short Program with Maurizio Margaglio :) It was great to read how their season looks like!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
A great Article from GS: http://www.goldenskate.com/2016/05/anna-duskova-martin-bidar/ :)

I'm kind of dissapointed they don't turn fully senior next year. I was hoping they will try to get as much experience in seniors as they could before the Olympics. Also, I think they would do good in GP and earn some money for future training. But at least they will compete at Europeans! :cheer: They keep their FP so I guess they would just do some changes for senior version and they can focus on doing Short Program with Maurizio Margaglio :) It was great to read how their season looks like!

Great interview. Some very interesting insights.

Personally, I think they are being sensible by continuing to do junior competitions while at the same time increasing the number of senior competitions that they are doing. Build up to the European Championships in an environment they are familiar with, where they can hopefully increase their reputation. Because, let's face it, they took a lot of people by surprise when they won the Junior World Championships.

But, I really wish more than ever that they had done Europeans this season. Because, now that they are Junior World Champions, there is going to be a lot of pressure on them at Europeans next season with it being held in their own country.

The main thing I took from the interview was that, although they are going to concentrate on Pairs, they are taking different approaches to their singles careers. Martin is quitting singles (he prefers Pairs because there is somebody there with him). But Anna is still planning on doing some singles competitions. Well, I suppose it is understandable, given that she could very easily have been the Czech Ladies Champion this season.

It is going to be an interesting season for them. And, as their adoptive father, I wish them all the best! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just bumping this thread up to let you know that Anna and Martin will be competing in their home round of the Junior Grand Prix Series this week.

Czech Skate Pairs Entry List

The Pairs competition kicks off on Thursday at 19:30 CEST (18:30 BST / 17:30 GMT)

Additionally, the following week Anna will be competing in the Ladies Singles competition at the first Challenger event, the Lombardia Trophy.

Lombardia Trophy Ladies Entry List

Don't worry, I'll update the appropriate Original Posts before each competition.

All the best to both of them in both competitions.

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I was thinking of posting the info :biggrin: From entries of other JGP it looks like their second assigment will be JGP Germany (the last JGP, 5-9th October). There's a chance that Alex D will do a raport :hap10: I'm very curious how Anna will do at Lombardia Trophy. I have no doubt they will do well at Czech Skate JGP!

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Short program from JGP!

First place and good improvement in choreography, and the program suits them perfectly. They have a bit of work on the levels, but they'll get that during the season. Strong debut, though.

adelia

Record Breaker
Benoit Richaud did the choreo. I love his work.

Edit:
Oh it's listed as Margaglio on their ISU profile. Not sure what that facebook post was about then.

Last edited:

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I normally don't follow junior pairs and knew nothing about Duskova/Bidar (not even that they are the reigning JWCs, lol!), until I saw their Mozart SP from JGP. I only watched the video because I love Mozart's symphony no. 40 and was curious to see it in a tango. And then I proceeded to watch their JWC programs and read the GS article, which I hadn't previously bothered reading. What a wonderful pair team they are! I love their chemistry, lines, and posture, and their expressions (Duskova reminded me a little of Katia Gordeeva in how she projects). I feel something special about them, in addition to their emerging technical and artistic components, and really think they can be a top team if they keep improving!:)

Last edited:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
For those who didn't see, this is the LP from today.

Improved choreography and they are gunning for the top, now going with triples on the solo and combo, new lift and even more height on the twist. Again, there's a lot of work for the levels, but if they manage to hit those programs they are on their way to the podium again at JWC, and a chance of getting close to the podium at the EC.

Let's hope whatever funk Anna was on today is nothing! And all the best for them.

gibbynka

On the Ice
I'm really happy they won in Ostrava, it was wonderful to see them live. Hope they'll continue to get better and better and defend their junior world title! I also wanted to ask - what is their second JGP this year? I did not find this info anywhere.

edited - someone on this page mentioned it will be the last one in Germany. :agree:

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a quick note to let you know that the Senior Ladies SP at the Lombardia Trophy is just starting.

Livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkUgilZwvAI
Time Schedule: http://www.fisg.it/upload/result/4144/senior/CSITA2016_SeniorLadies_SP_TimeSchedule.pdf
Live Scoring: http://www.fisg.it/upload/result/4144/senior/SEG001.HTM

Anna will be the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] Skater to start, so final skater in Group 2.

She is due to start at 18:14:00 CEST (17:14:00 BST / 16:14:00 GMT). But that may change if anybody before her withdraws. (Plus, it is Italy, so nothing runs to schedule!)

:cheer: ALL THE BEST ANNA!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Anna finished 17[SUP]th[/SUP] out of 21 in the Senior Ladies SP at the Lombardia Trophy yesterday, with a score of 41.21

Results: http://www.fisg.it/upload/result/4144/senior/SEG001.HTM
Video (whole competition): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkUgilZwvAI (audio removed :bang: )
Video (just Anna): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0D_tw3sytM

The Senior Ladies FS is due to start at 15:30:00 CEST (14:30:00 BST / 13:30:00 GMT). So, about half an hour from now.

Livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RocWMCGVQvY
Time Schedule: http://www.fisg.it/upload/result/4144/senior/CSITA2016_SeniorLadies_FS_TimeSchedule.pdf
Live Scoring: http://www.fisg.it/upload/result/4144/senior/SEG002.HTM

Anna will be the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Skater to start, so penultimate skater in Group 1.

She is due to start at 15:59:00 CEST (14:59:00 BST / 13:59:00 GMT). But that may change if anybody before her withdraws. (Plus, it is Italy, so nothing runs to schedule!)

:cheer: ALL THE BEST ANNA!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: