Christina Carreira & Anthony Ponomarenko | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Christina Carreira & Anthony Ponomarenko

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was initially surprised at them moving up to seniors already, but my guess is they're going for broke on making the 2022 Olympic team and want to start moving up the senior ranks as quickly as possible.

Mdk0144

On the Ice
Who will be their chreographer? As a person who don’t really prefer Igor’s chreography, I was so glad that he teamed up with Carmelengo. Would he be their choreographer? I’m so curious:palmf:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Who will be their chreographer? As a person who don’t really prefer Igor’s chreography, I was so glad that he teamed up with Carmelengo. Would he be their choreographer? I’m so curious:palmf:

Oh, I forgot Carmelengo is working with Igor. I hope he does their programs too.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Christina is suing the US for denying her petition to be classified as "an alien of extraordinary ability" - which she needs to be if she and Anthony want to go to the Olympics - go Christina! Seems an odd decision from the US given her past successes, but y'know sign of the times etc...

more info here

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Christina is suing the US for denying her petition to be classified as "an alien of extraordinary ability" - which she needs to be if she and Anthony want to go to the Olympics - go Christina! Seems an odd decision from the US given her past successes, but y'know sign of the times etc...

more info here

Oh dear. I hope Christina wins!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm a lawyer with some specialization in immigration and administrative law matters -- just reviewing the document, Christina should win this purely on the law. However, courts will often defer to government administrative agencies on immigration matters in ways that they wouldn't in other areas, so that's not a guarantee, unfortunately.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My primary (by far) comment is that I hope Christina is successful in gaining U.S. citizenship. Fingers crossed for her. :pray:

p.s. Obviously not Christina's fault, but I wish that her lawyer(s) would do a much better job of proofreading. I only skimmed through the complaint, and easily noticed several instances of misspelling of Christina's own last name. The last name of the USFS executive director is misspelled at least twice. And I cringed to read (emphasis added), "Since 2016 they have one the following awards in their field". Yikes. Christina deserves better.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
A new interview with Anthony and Christina from earlier today - apparently they've worked a lot with Marina Klimova (his mum) this summer to be ready for seniors (and I think it shows). I know the sport is about what you do on the ice - but I also really like them because they always come across as really nice and hardworking people and quite mature for their ages :)

Looking forward to seeing how they do in Helsinki this weekend!

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
The denial of Christina's application for the fast-track permanent residency is crazy. Did you guys read the decision?

The awards “were not directly awarded to you,” the August decision said. “They were awarded for your performance as part of a sports team…"

A team of... two people? :confused:

[W]e do not consider such honors to be a nationally or internationally recognized prize or award for excellence in the field of endeavor, because it is limited to members of that association and participants of those competitions.

Translation, as best as I can decipher it: your achievements only matter in figure skating, so they are not real achievements? Isn't that uh... how sports works?

I know the article posted explains it as a political climate thing, but it honestly seems to me like a case of an application being looked at too quickly and in not enough depth. In any case, I hope they can get it sorted out. She deserves to represent the US and we should be begging them to do so! :shocked: