Help Needed pronouncing Skaters Names | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Help Needed pronouncing Skaters Names

Query

Rinkside
Some of the Russian coaches here in the U.S. Anglicize the pronunciations to be easier for students and parents. E.g., I know one Elena, which I think in Russian might be something like i-LEE-en-uh (with a "soft" L), who sometimes introduces herself as Elaine, pronounced the usual U.S. way. But she still keeps her Russian accent, which is probably a major selling point for any coach. :) Perhaps she uses a different pronunciation with students who speak Russian...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am jealous! Tennis is my other love in sports.

Mine too. I'm lucky because there are a couple big Tournaments out here in California. Last year I was able to Simona Halep. She's from Romania and was very sweet. I am always amazed at well these athlete's in Tennis and Figure Skating speak English.

khughes

On the Ice
Mine too. I'm lucky because there are a couple big Tournaments out here in California. Last year I was able to Simona Halep. She's from Romania and was very sweet. I am always amazed at well these athlete's in Tennis and Figure Skating speak English.

I go to the US Open, but it's a crazy scene filled with noisy non fans, who spend all the time yabbering on their phones. It's really annoying. I'm hoping Worlds in Boston will be very silent and respectful! Maybe the players speak English so well because it must be the common language on the tour.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I go to the US Open, but it's a crazy scene filled with noisy non fans, who spend all the time yabbering on their phones. It's really annoying. I'm hoping Worlds in Boston will be very silent and respectful! Maybe the players speak English so well because it must be the common language on the tour.

TRUE!!!!! This freakin' "SELFIE" Era is driving me crazy! In fact, I wanted to meet Ana Ivanovic of Serbia but, her booth had a line a mile long and their was no way I was going to wait. Basically, people ran up to her stuck their cameras out, posed, screamed, and ran off. Not a word about her game, or how she had inspired them through her hard work. It was sad and I actually felt sorry for her. Maria Sharapova, for some reason, has much calmer fans. They waited in a huge line but, they were basically drinking wine and had wisely brought programs for Maria to sign.

People, here's a tip for you. The easier you make it for these athletes to sign your stuff, the better. First, bring your own "Working" Pen. Bring a program or Large Picture so that signing will be easy. Lastly......Don't ask for a selfie.......Bring a friend and have them take the picture for you. You'll look a lot more natural.

Last edited:

narcissa

Record Breaker
^Where can you ask for a photo/signature? Like, when they're leaving practice sessions?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY back on the first page of this thread, I brought the Gilles twins into the conversation.

Well, I finally decided to see if I could find any videos of Alexe saying her name, and found one pretty much straight away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOD7EQ7JcOE

And in case you are wondering what put it back into my head, it is because I have found out that she is probably going to be in my wee country next weekend!!! :cheer:

Well, the show she's in is in Liverpool at the moment, and yesterday she posted a photo of herself at Penny Lane. So, since the next stop on the tour is Belfast, I reckon it's highly probable that she will be over here too! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

balladeno1

Rinkside
I started looking for the after Sochi interview at Sambo that they did with Julia where she said her own name sarcastically in response to how everywhere she went people would say "oh look....its Julia Lipnitskaya" and people teased her about it.

My question is about Adelina. I pronounce it Sot-NEE-kova. Is this correct because I hear a lot of Sotni-KOVA :confused:

For Adelina, Yulia/Julia, and Nikita Katsalapov's names, I've heard them as so: the phonetics prounounciation balladeno1 style

A-Dell-ee-na Sought(with the Russian-ness more like soot)-Nee-kova
Yoo-lya leep-neet-sky-ah
Nee-kee-ta Katsa-lah-pov(o sounding like the ahhh we make at the dentist)

About Adelina: the emphasis should be on the first syllable - SOT-nee-kova.
While in Lipnitskaia the emphasis should be on the second syllable.

Russian language is so Russian. :)

I truly would like to hear how Anna Pogorilaya, Elena Ilinykh, Evgenia Medvedeva, and Polina Tsurkaya say their names.

Does anybody know how to pronounce Kim Yuna's name ?
I once read that it's closer to Gim Yon-A than to " Yoona ", the way most commentators pronounce it.

As far as I know, Kim Yuna or 킴 연아( I believe this is how it is spelled in Hangul, maybe it's 킴 여나) the ㅋ is pronounced somewhere between a G and a K.

I am trying to see if a Chinese national skater to send a voice recording of wenjing sui and cong han's name's.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY back on the first page of this thread, I brought the Gilles twins into the conversation.

Well, I finally decided to see if I could find any videos of Alexe saying her name, and found one pretty much straight away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOD7EQ7JcOE

And in case you are wondering what put it back into my head, it is because I have found out that she is probably going to be in my wee country next weekend!!! :cheer:

Well, the show she's in is in Liverpool at the moment, and yesterday she posted a photo of herself at Penny Lane. So, since the next stop on the tour is Belfast, I reckon it's highly probable that she will be over here too! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Totally off-topic, but I thought that some of you would like an update.

Yep, she's here!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Alexe with a Lithuanian colleague at our most famous landmark, the Giant's Causeway.

Glad to see that they’re getting the chance to do some sight-seeing while they’re in “Our Wee Country”. :agree:

Hope Alexe and everybody else on the tour enjoys their time here in Norn Iron!

CaroLiza_fan