Help Needed pronouncing Skaters Names | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Help Needed pronouncing Skaters Names

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Any help is cheerfully appreciated!!

Does anyone have Evgenia Medvedeva, Anna Pogorilaya, and Lipnitskaia saying their names?

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I think Anna Pogorilaya says her name about 2 or 3 seconds into this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTfCHnryLgw

However, it's very echoey and the camera is also in the process of focussing at the time. So, maybe it's not the best to use.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I finally found the video of Yulia saying her name. Of course it's massively sarcastic and its in reference to all the hype and attention she was getting after Sochi. She just didn't seem to understand why people got so crazy. :laugh:

https://youtu.be/5_3xFYQpYiE

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Some not too necessary ones fron U.S. Figure Skating...

Mirai Nagasu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnGmguz-R9w ...

Angela Wang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGC9HyuTp4o ...

For me, the nuances of pronunciation heard in some of these videos are edifying :yes:. "Not too necessary" is underselling, IMO.

So once again, my thanks to Doris, sabinfire, Sam S, and others contributing to this project.

For example, Mirai pronounces her last name slightly differently than I would have expected. And my grandparents were immigrants from Japan to North America, I grew up hearing my mother speak Japanese, etc. (I would have expected more equal stress on all syllables.)
[But please don't get me wrong: I am not criticizing Mirai for one second. By definition, her pronunciation of her name is the correct pronunciation. I am saying that I learned something from the video.]

I have Chinese blood as well, and I know that some Chinese-Americans pronounce Wang more like "Wong" (rhyming with "song").
But the video is clear that the correct pronunciation in Angela's case rhymes with "sang."

... Polina Edmunds
https://youtu.be/e7T3dBdTrdg

She says "P'lina", not "PO-lina". :think:

And I thought(??) I remembered someone way back when making a point of explaining that she pronounces it as "Pawlina??"
But once again, what I think I "know" ;) about someone else's name is meaningless.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It took me all last season to pronounce Liza's name correctly, lol. I usually learn my Russian pronunciations from Johnny Weir, since he's such a Russo-phile.

Anyone have video of Alena Leonova saying her name? I know the commentator at Nebelhorn botched it.

Also, what about Kailani Craine? Is it Kay-lani or KY-lani? And Vivian Le - is it Lee or Lay?

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
She's not saying her name there, announcer does closer to the end, but not Anna herself :)

Thanks, Snow63. I heard her say something that I thought might have been her name, but it was hard to tell because of all those echoes. Oh, and the fact I don't speak the language! :laugh:

So, back to the drawing board!

I usually learn my Russian pronunciations from Johnny Weir, since he's such a Russo-phile.

I really don't know whether to laugh or cry! Like, I am a Russo-phile too, but I haven't a clue how to pronounce most Russian names! :laugh:

Anyone have video of Alena Leonova saying her name? I know the commentator at Nebelhorn botched it.

I remember one of our Russian members (I can't remember who, it was so long ago) explaining that Miss Savchenko and Miss Leonova actually have the same first name, but it has just been transliterated differently.

Which is why these rink-side announcers pronounce her first name the same as Aljona's. (i.e. "Al-ee-o-na")

And Vivian Le - is it Lee or Lay?

Mrs. P has explained to us that since Vivian is of Vietnamese descent, it should be "Lay" (specifically in this post, but the whole conversation is worth reading. Although, it is spread throughout that thread).

Whether that is how Vivian pronounces it or not, I don't think we have established that yet.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

borzaya

Final Flight
:cheer:

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva says her name in summer 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNbaqO6Clis

I hope someone will edit this one for me because I would really like to use it

I read it somewhere some time ago, that Liza pronounces her name as TuktAmysheva (with stress on A, as we do hear in this video) - and, to be honest, it's quite a surprise even to Russian fans, when they get to know about it :laugh: Most of people think that it's TuktamYsheva (I have always thought it's pronounced like that, too), and the Russian commentators, as far as I can remember, also pronounce her name as TuktamYsheva. Poor Liza :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No idea, to be honest...:think: I don't follow Yuko too closely, so maybe she really said this somewhere, but I don't know.

It's not stupid at all :) In fact, the Russian-speakers themselves can't come to an agreement about this. The academic rules of transliterating from Japanese to Russian prescribe that the Japanese sound which is written as "ch" in Latin letters, is written as "т" in Cyrillic. (In this case it is "soft" (palatalized) "t" which is not so unlike from "ch" than you may think). That's how it's recommended in handbooks for translators, etc. But a lot of fans and journalists are more influenced by the Latin spelling and transliterate ch as ч (as they would do with English names, for example). Machida's name, for example, is more often spelled as Мачида. So, there is no consistency here.

borzaya, sorry that I forgot to thank you earlier for your explanation. Much appreciated :bow:.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Which is why these rink-side announcers pronounce her first name the same as Aljona's. (i.e. "Al-ee-o-na")

Pretty close, but better served without the "ee", since there's no distinct E sound in her name. What you are hearing is probably a foreign pronunciation of an L proceeded by the "ё" sound = "yo". That's AL-YO, flowing together. Shouldn't sound like Leo.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Pretty close, but better served without the "ee", since there's no distinct E sound in her name. What you are hearing is probably a foreign pronunciation of an L proceeded by the "ё" sound = "yo". That's AL-YO, flowing together. Shouldn't sound like Leo.

Thanks for the correction. As I said before, it is REALLY hard working out how to write pronounciations! And that was my best guess.

But, your "yo" is definitely a lot closer.

I don't think the problem was so much foreign announcers. I think it was more that the announcers are speaking so fast that I can't process what they are saying quickly enough! :laugh:

Incidentally, is it just me, or does anybody else find that the announcers say her name really fast compared to when they say other skaters' names? It is almost as if they don't want you to make out what they are saying in case it is wrong...

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I read it somewhere some time ago, that Liza pronounces her name as TuktAmysheva (with stress on A, as we do hear in this video) - and, to be honest, it's quite a surprise even to Russian fans, when they get to know about it :laugh: Most of people think that it's TuktamYsheva (I have always thought it's pronounced like that, too), and the Russian commentators, as far as I can remember, also pronounce her name as TuktamYsheva. Poor Liza :laugh:

Funnily enough, when I found that Google translate was able to speak to you about a year ago, I was straight in putting in the names of Russian skaters. And with Liza I found that when you had it set to English, the emphasis was on the third syllable (TuktamYsheva), whereas when you had it set to Russian, the emphasis was on the second syllable (TuktAmysheva)

So, Google expected it to be pronounced the way that Liza pronounces it. But, then again, Google is foreign, so can they be trusted to get Russian pronounciations completely right?

Also, very strangely, when I just repeated the exercise there now just to check that I had got it the right way round, Google automatically detected "Tuktamysheva" as... FINNISH!!! :confused:

Like, I know the Udmurt language is related to Finnish (and Hungarian), but I still wasn't expecting that to happen!

Hang on. Something just hit me. Is that maybe why the way Liza pronounces her name is surprising to Russian fans? Is Liza pronouncing it as her fellow Udmurts would pronounce it, as opposed to how people from other parts of Russia would?

Sounds plausible to me anyway!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: