2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy Men SP and FS | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy Men SP and FS

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason's music always does seem to evoke strong reactions: either it's too bouncy (Juke) or it's boring (the Piano).

FWIW, I understand the "boring" comments because the "tinkly piano" music is incredibly, I would say, understated. I would agree that the understated music is deliberate, designed to showcase Jason's strengths. Since I am predisposed to think Jason has these strengths, I think it works, and will work more when he gets the jumps down. ;)

What I hate hate hate like I-spins (and therefore Jason is guaranteed to skate to it next year:laugh2:) is bombastic music like the R&J of Ignatenko's skate. I watched the Yuzu vid that another poster kindly supplied, and even Yuzu barely pulled it off (IMO). Loud choruses make me wild, give me little notes any day. But I know I am in the minority and that skaters may even use the bombastic music to pull themselves along.

We'll see if we are having the same discussion after SA ....

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
the fancams also give a sense of the cheering in the stands. I thought the SP fancam was even bettter, shot from a different, better angle, without the cute little kids in the way;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I can't say it's boring at all. The only thing I would say is that it is predictable.

Predictable in that I will definitely be sobbing wildly into my handkerchief while giving it a standing ovation in Boston!

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I prefer more energetic programs for Jason for sure

Coincidentally, a lot of the same can be said about the Shib's free skate to Coldplay.
I had completely contrasting feelings toward these 2 programs. The Shibs was inspirational. again all IMO

Congrats to Kolayda!!!:cheer:

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I can't say it's boring at all. The only thing I would say is that it is predictable.

Predictable in that I will definitely be sobbing wildly into my handkerchief while giving it a standing ovation in Boston!

Low bar.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Huh? :confused:
I assume you mean that as Jason has the gift of connecting with the audience in the way of few skaters I've seen since 1972, it is a no-brainer to assume that he could rouse the audience once this program is perfected. You would be right;)

alia jackson

Record Breaker
Sorry :hijacked:

People have different taste for sure. Though for majority that 17yo Yuzu's bronze medal performance at his first Worlds outing if a defining skate of him (comments on GS).

"Besides the freak fall. That was awesome!" - Mrs. P

"One of the great performances we've ever seen. Just phenomenal that was.....One of the great routines in the history of figure skating." - BEsp. (A compilation of commentaries of this performance)

"Yuzuru gets the loudest cheering, Dai, second loudest, and Patrick third loudest." - Hurrah

The fancams of the arena standing ovation and cheering, the cameras were shaking....caution on video2 and video3.
video1 , video2, video3.

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Sorry :hijacked:

People have different taste for sure. Though for majority that 17yo Yuzu's bronze medal performance at his first Worlds outing if a defining skate of him (comments on GS).

"Besides the freak fall. That was awesome!" - Mrs. P

"One of the great performances we've ever seen. Just phenomenal that was.....One of the great routines in the history of figure skating." - BEsp. (A compilation of commentaries of this performance)

"Yuzuru gets the loudest cheering, Dai, second loudest, and Patrick third loudest." - Hurrah

The fancams of the arena standing ovation and cheering, the cameras were shaking....caution on video2 and video3.
video1 , video2, video3.

Nope. :no:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuzu fans: I meant my comment as a compliment to Yuzu, not a dis. I dislike the music R&J (and bombastic chorus type music) *so* much that only a skater of Yuzu's talents could make it watchable. Since I dislike the music, it will never be a fav program (even if Jason does it!), but Yuzu did the best job of making me even tolerate it.

Dislike for music, not for Yuzu. End of :hijacked:

TCAngel18

Medalist
I'm intrigued by the idea of skating "above" the music v. skating "with" the music.

I want to be careful not to overstep and assume too much, but the vibe I'm getting based on Kori's interview and what I read is that they want this program to highlight the purity of skating, i.e. the edges, and be less driven by the performance to the music, which is what Jason is obviously really good at. So perhaps, the skating "above" the music is on purpose because he doesn't have the music to push him along and it forces him to use his skating skills to push the performance.

One thing worth noting is that the audience responded to the performance, in spite of the monotonous music. I hope maybe those folks who are at Skate America next month, can speak to whether the monotonous music is a deal breaker or that it somehow works.

BTW, I don't think you're being harsh. I think it's clear this music has evoked really strong contrasting opinions.

I do understand that they are using this program as a tool to evoke subtlety and maturity as a skater, but I do not think this is the correct vehicle for their endgame. Figure skating is a sum of its parts, and one of them is a bit of pageantry. There is a reason why people choose different music, and are allowed to dress as they please, as long as they adhere to standards. Costuming and music choice, however unfair, do matter subconsciously in the eyes of the audience, and most likely the judges. He did go glitz and glam a bit last year, definitely with Juke and Tristan and Iseult had some high drama, and they had mixed reviews, except from his stans.

A thought. Was it a great performance that made people respond well, or was it the fact that Jason Brown performed it that made people respond well?

I agree with your assumption that they are trying to flip the script and make the performance about the skating only, but I worry that they are trying to mask his flaws, and actually inhibit him from growing as a skater. Quad aside, he currently is arguably the best in skating skills, flow, etc. However, even with his limited jumping arsenal, he two foots and underrotates quite often, or should I say more often than you would hope for a skater of his caliber. Perhaps they are trying to take the focus away from the jumps? IMO, I think it would be harder to keep the program cogent, and may result in more technical mistakes. he would do himself better to stick with thematic music, but not necessarily bombastic, if he wishes to go the subtle route. Take a look at Chen Lu 1996 Rach 2. She was able to envelop the audience in two seconds flat, and even with the tempo changes, different sections of the music, Etc, she was able to keep the mood and tone of her performance on the same level. Her and her music created a wonderful duality that has not been matched often since. I think he can find that partnership, but I do not think this is the correct choice to get him to that next step.