2015 Finlandia Trophy Ladies SP and FS | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2015 Finlandia Trophy Ladies SP and FS

Meoima

Match Penalty
I wouldn't feel ok eating food from random people, especially if I was Yulia, who seems to have some particularly creepy stalkers. :slink:
If I was a skater, I would rather get notes or cards or maybe a small handmade art/craft thing...something more personal than flowers in plastic or a stuffed toy (although I know they mostly donate the toys anyway). But to solve the k'n'cry issue, maybe they could have a large box off to the side for the flowers/gifts like I've seen in photos of some Japanese shows.
Haha for sure if I were a skater I wouldn't be famous and lack a lot of money and there would be no stalker :biggrin:.

MeaganSkater

On the Ice
I mean let's face it Yulia is struggling right now - no question about it.

She's hit her puberty and her body has changed which has altered her center of gravity, and given her hips which alters the timing and take off of all of her jumps. Nothing that hasn't been seen before. Just look at Elizaveta Tuktamysheva as the latest example. Yulia will come back stronger, just a matter of time and training.

Sure maybe she behaved inappropriately in the K&C area, but how do we know exactly what she was going through in that moment?!

I think we all as fans of the sport need to take a step back from time to time and just watch them skate & enjoy! Don't criticize everything - still very early in the season..

andyjo24

Medalist
But IMO, Yulia 's situation is completely different from Liza's. Liza had the solid jumping technique to help her come back but Yulia does not. Plus there are too many Russian skaters with better technique than her now. I think Yulia will go more in the Mirai/ Caroline Zhang route TBH. Hope she proves me wrong but that's my view.

fallingsk8er

On the Ice
It's easy to smile and be nice when things go your way, but how you handle yourself when things don't go so well shows what kind of person you are.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Not at all surprised about Lipnitskaya's jumps (I and many others kind of knew it's coming) but I am very surprised about her deteriorated skating skills and short stamina. She is not even 18, is she?

It's a bit early to write them off after her first competition in ten months isn't it? She mostly want to get the programs out there. Wait until SA after she's polished the programs up with Marina before writing them off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1KtqTK02qA

https://instagram.com/p/8tMXJ7ufol/

https://instagram.com/p/8tLtulufm3/

https://instagram.com/p/8tK3XNOflM/

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
You just never know with skaters. Did anyone on this Forum predict Rika's steady rise in the rankings to the top 10 in the world?
At the beginning of last season if anyone had said she'd make the GPF and finish 6th at worlds they'd be thought of as off their rocker. Even right before worlds I started a thread suggesting she could end up 6th, very few thought it likely. Rika made no splashes in her Junior days so no one saw her coming.

All that to say, you can't count Julia out...she has a chance to make her way back up to the top, just like Rika.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Glad I come back to this thread and found a couple of precious live report posts among all these fuzz about JuliaLip. Glad that SoYoun's live performance at this comp is appreciated by them as the best! Just like how I felt when I watched her live before.
SoYoun although your PCS is extremely low but please don't feel frustrated, just do your best and continue this kinda outings, one event at a time. You WILL win the heart of true figure skating fans eventually. I wish you good luck. :eek::

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
You just never know with skaters. Did anyone on this Forum predict Rika's steady rise in the rankings to the top 10 in the world?
At the beginning of last season if anyone had said she'd make the GPF and finish 6th at worlds they'd be thought of as off their rocker. Even right before worlds I started a thread suggesting she could end up 6th, very few thought it likely. Rika made no splashes in her Junior days so no one saw her coming.

All that to say, you can't count Julia out...she has a chance to make her way back up to the top, just like Rika.

Ah yes, I remember that thread very well... :biggrin:

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
Is anyone else reminded of Miki Ando watching Rika Hongo or is it just me?

me too!!! I hope Rika have the same enormous future than Miki, two time olympian and two times world champion!! in season 2010-11 Miki won everything, thanks to her amazing jumps... Rika is a big jumper,too and she is improving her artistry!

Imagine

Medalist
I never thought of Rika as a Miki-esque skater but now that you mention it, I do kind of see it :think:

Since I first saw her though, she always reminded me of Shizuka...I think it's just her stature, quietness of her landings, and even things like her Biellmann spin technique...now obviously she's not as polished yet but considering what Shizuka was like at the same age....I think her potential is massive.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is anyone else reminded of Miki Ando watching Rika Hongo or is it just me?

Maybe in respect to her jumping ability, but Miki had zero musicality and Rika has loads of it. Rika's ability to relate totally to her music is the saving grace which distracts the viewer from noticing her hunched-over posture.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Maybe in respect to her jumping ability, but Miki had zero musicality and Rika has loads of it. Rika's ability to relate totally to her music is the saving grace which distracts the viewer from noticing her hunched-over posture.

I still notice it. I choose to ignore it & it improves. :drama:

:)

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
I honestly thought she had an amazing program and was surprised the crowd seemed a bit detached when it ended. They weren't really clapping and into like I found myself. I think she lost momentum in the StSeq because those crazy violins swells are really difficult to interpret and it looked a bit out of her comfort zone...for now at least. It never really built back up to the feeling she created in the beginning up to the StSeq for the rest of the program IMO.

Well, I have to disagree with you. I was there and I think the crowd was very impressed! They screamed and clapped and supported her.

I liked the program very much. I always like music which isn't too predictable. The red violin is quite difficult to express and it insists very strong interpretation from a skater. I think Park catched the music and the audience. I was very disappointed to her PCS. I don't see how Rika can get 7 points and Julia even 8 points more than she got. :disapp:

Last edited:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist

THIS. I've liked Rika's skating since the first time I saw her because I could feel the connection she had with the music. Her skating, to me, was far more enjoyable than Miki's (especially in Miki's early years), and I would say Rika probably has better posture than Miki.

However, Miki definitely had superior jumps and (almost) never UR'd, even with those backend triple loops. She was the Liza of the 2010-11 season.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Well, I have to disagree with you. I was there and I think the crowd was very impressed! They screamed and clapped and supported her.
True, I was there too!

I think Park catched the music and the audience. I was very disappointed to her PCS. I don't see how Rika can get 7 points and Julia even 8 points more than she got. :disapp:
Hmm. Well yes, subjectively (!) I'd say she charmed the audience and interpreted the music nicely... but I also think it takes more than that to make a case for saying she was underscored in PCS vs Rika and Julia.

eg. perhaps if you can explain exactly how/why you think her Skating Skills (SS), Transitions/Linking Footwork/Movement (TR), Performance/Execution (PE), Choreography/Composition (CH) and Interpretation (IN) components were closer to the level of the other two?

I don't see it myself, but maybe you are right. However, I am never convinced of such things unless there is a properly-reasoned supporting argument. And without that, all I see is: "I like this skater/performance, therefore they deserve more points!"

And unfortunately I see that a LOT, because very few people justify themselves when they state (often categorically!), that skater X was under/over scored etc (other than using such undefined, unprovable and nebulous ideas as "inflation", "skated in early/late group", "reputation", "held back", "judges cheated", "conspiracy" etc etc)

I'm sure such things are factors sometimes, and under/over scoring does happen... just not convinced it's as much/often as some people would have us believe. I am sceptical about both officials and fans... but more about fan(atic)s...

Last edited: