Nicolas Nadeau | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Nicolas Nadeau

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Thanks. ;) The image quality is low, but you can still tell that Nic is gorgeous draped in a Canadian flag. :cool:

Out of curiosity, are non-Canadians geoblocked from watching this fluff piece that was released last year?

English: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/facesoftomorrow/nicolas-nadeau-1.3280841

French (please note that what Nic says in the French version is slightly different than the English one): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coHMpS-zoQM

Nic always look gorgeous! Unfortunately, fluff piece is geoblocked for me :(

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Pleased for Nic, but that shortened program versus his LP at nationals, pales in comparison, IMO A shell of what he is capable of as you know, siberia82. Elvis with shackles on...lol, or the 'jail house rock' version. ;)

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Pleased for Nic, but that shortened program versus his LP at nationals, pales in comparison, IMO A shell of what he is capable of as you know, siberia81. Elvis with shackles on...lol, or the 'jail house rock' version. ;)

It's siberia82, btw. ;) I agree that the junior-length version isn't quite as fun as the senior-length one, not to mention that his Elvis wasn't quite as smooth at the Bavarian Open with those jump errors. I sincerely hope (no, not just hope, I'm going to pray to the figure skating gods) Nic will keep that program next season when he moves up to the senior ranks internationally because I think he can skate it even better in the future. :yes:

I'm not sure if this image (https://www.facebook.com/EcoleExcellenceRosemere/photos/a.176394299059808.41379.175519695813935/1244740152225212/?type=3&theater) from the 2016 Skate Detroit has been posted before (I'm too lazy to check), but just in case it hasn't, I do love that Nic is trying to imitate Presley's lip curl! :cool: Ah, why must he be so sexy?

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Alex D wrote an excellent article about the Bavarian Open ( http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?61985-Bavarian-Open-2017&p=1657292&viewfull=1#post1657292 ), and because English isn't Alex's first language, I was given permission to correct the minor errors in the section related to Nic.

In a flawless short consisting of four triples, the 19-year-old from Quebec skated to "For Me, Formidable." I was very impressed by how graceful he was in his program, how creative his spins were, and in general, how different his skating was compared to so many others around his age. Quite often junior men's programs have strong jumps, but the actual choreography lags somewhat behind.

Not so here, however, as it was a calm and thoughtful skate imbued with lots of speed. He performed a totally different program in the free, an Elvis Presley medley, that demonstrated how versatile this young Canadian actually is.

Several months ago, this young man had injured his ankle while attempting a quad toe, and it caused him to miss the entire JGP season. You would think that the loss of training time would show, but it absolutely didn't.

While he skipped the quad loop at Oberstdorf, he was so fun to watch, as seen with the transition to "That's All Right", where he paused during a break in the music, only to immediately switch gears and party his butt off with us in the crowd!

He created these little images, moments in his program that you will always remember, like his hand going through his hair and the slower passage during "Bridge over Troubled Water." He can really fill a whole venue with his presence, speeding up and slowing down accordingly to the music, which is much more difficult to do than just going full throttle all the time; where this guy gets his energy from for that last minute is unbelievable!

There was no fatigue or lack of power in the entire program; he sold every part of it and probably could have gone on with the show for another minute. Said show, however, still continued as we had a Canadian sweep in the junior men, with Conrad Orzel coming in second and Joseph Phan in third, both with a quad toe in the free!

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Blogger Sarah Rasher published the first half of her "Who's who" guide for the men's singles competitors who'll be at Junior Worlds next week, and I copied and pasted her assessment of Nic: http://thefinersports.com/2017/03/2017-junior-worlds-field-guide-men-part-1/

Season So Far: Nadeau injured his ankle during the summer and had to sit out the entire autumn, including the Junior Grand Prix. At Golden Spin, a senior-level Challenger Series event, Nadeau was visibly undertrained because of the injury and placed only 11th. He returned to full health just in time for Nationals, where he landed his quadruple loop for the first time in competition. A few problems elsewhere – most notably a crucial popped jump combination in his short program – kept Nadeau just off the Nationals podium, 4th at the senior level. After that, he headed to the Bavarian Open to earn his qualifying scores for Junior Worlds, and he won an easy junior-level gold despite some wonky jumps.

Outlook for Junior Worlds: Nadeau seemed to come out of nowhere when he won silver at Junior Worlds in 2016. Even with that accomplishment under his belt and some of the most difficult technical content in the field, he still seems like an outsider. That's partially because consistency is not Nadeau's strong suit, and he seldom skates clean. But it's also because Nadeau is such a ham, it's easy to forget that he's throwing enormous jumps with incredible finesse. He's one of skating's foremost reminders that humor is a form of artistry, and lately, the judges have recognized that his shtick requires a lot of precision and speed. It's hard to guess how Nadeau will fare this year, but he has both the skill and the reputation of a Front Runner.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
congratulations to Nicolas, I have to re-watch his SP later after work, but he's in contention for podium and I trust that Elvis will roar!!!:cheer:, sending positive vibes to Taipei :)

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
I'm so impressed with Nic's SP! :luv17: Great job! :agree: It looked like he had fun. My only wish would be no more Sears-bought outfits in the future. He's a gorgeous skater who deserves better costumes!

Good luck to Nicolas in FP!