2015 Mordovian Ornament Mens SP and Free Skate | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2015 Mordovian Ornament Mens SP and Free Skate

gmyers

Record Breaker
Yeah, everyone should just skate to the same kind of bland, generic lyrical programs because it's "real skating artistry." :rolleye: That would get me to quit watching the sport.

If you are doing five quads a competion you are going where the points are so you should do the same for pcs.

Rissa

Record Breaker
If you are doing five quads a competion you are going where the points are so you should do the same for pcs.

I know that reading skills are a difficult art to master, but what gallavich has a probem with is the implication that, uh, "north american proper" is the way to go in order to gain pcs. She's not the only one to have this problem, just for the record.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:jaw: One judge gave Maxim 9.75 for choreography. I'm feeling all tingly inside :)

So I'm assuming now if you do your 1/2 loop on the ground in combination without actually going in the air you get a neat hidden bonus like in a video game that awards you GOE and PCS. Oh how I wish I could hear some coin noises during this combo.

I actually like Kovtun quite a bit but a sarcastic program that has sarcastic jumping is going to invoke sarcastic comments....at least from me. Seems fair enough :laugh:

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I know that reading skills are a difficult art to master, but what gallavich has a probem with is the implication that, uh, "north american proper" is the way to go in order to gain pcs. She's not the only one to have this problem, just for the record.

It's just the clearest way and so I think if someone has potential they must do it. They must go to Brian orser or someone like him and they must go to Lori nichol or someone like her.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
It's just the clearest way and so I think if someone has potential they must do it. They must go to Brian orser or someone like him and they must go to Lori nichol or someone like her.
Somehow I think that Nichol and Kovtun would be a match made in hell. But he should try a variety of styles and he doesn't do that this season. I don't think he's found his style yet, but he isn't the Nichol type skater.

Rissa

Record Breaker

I'm really starting to think that you're trolling. Sorry, I just have diffculty believing anyone can seriously think that someone like Brian Orser and Lori Nichol are the only road to realizing one's potential. What the effing ef.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Somehow I think that Nichol and Kovtun would be a match made in hell. But he should try a variety of styles and he doesn't do that this season. I don't think he's found his style yet, but he isn't the Nichol type skater.

Just like he had to learn quads he should learn to be a nichol.

I'm really starting to think that you're trolling. Sorry, I just have diffculty believing anyone can seriously think that someone like Brian Orser and Lori Nichol are the only road to realizing one's potential. What the effing ef.

They are producing champions and programs worth the most points. I am not talking about personal artistry but competive programs.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Just like he had to learn quads he should learn to be a nichol.

They are producing champions and programs worth the most points. I am not talking about personal artistry but competive programs.

Lol, what. Ugh. No, just no. Nobody should "learn to be a nichol." Skaters should be themselves.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Lol, what. Ugh. No, just no. Nobody should "learn to be a nichol." Skaters should be themselves.
Yes and Nichol wouldn't know what to do with Kovtun anyway. Imagine how boring it would be, if every skater would have to skate to a Lori Nichol program (as much as I enjoy most of them). And with Orser coaching all skaters we would never ever see a quad-triple combo, unless the skater does two quads in the short. :drama:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Yes and Nichol wouldn't know what to do with Kovtun anyway. Imagine how boring it would be, if every skater would have to skate to a Lori Nichol program (as much as I enjoy most of them). And with Orser coaching all skaters we would never ever see a quad-triple combo, unless the skater does two quads in the short. :drama:

Unfortunately Vornov went 'Canadian' this year and I'm afraid it's NOT working.:hopelessness: --The solemn and the serious is not for everyone. I'm glad Kovtun is going humorous this year.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Last season, I was one of the few who didn't hate Kovtun's EX and said it was nice to see something fun/humorous from him. Now that it's actually happened... I don't know what to think. Not sure what to say about his SP, except that my eyebrows were raised the entire time as I watched (then I checked out during the last 30 seconds. Dragged on forever...)

I liked the slow section in the LP, where he got deeper into character. The first part was... okay, I guess? while he seemed to visibly slow down and lose enthusiasm in the end (though the jumps did hit off, so I guess it's fine).

The 4S-1T was pretty strange. I thought it was a 4S step-out until I saw the protocols. :scratch:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I like that Kovtun is trying something different. In both the short & the long. And I am good with both programs. At the very least, you must admit that he is performing the choreography in his free skate, instead of chucking it out the window as he did during his free at Worlds last season. I did not mind Bolero, but I felt his free last season was rather agonizing to watch. Completely lacking in character for me. His free this season is a giant step in attempting to channel a character. Of course, we can't see the facial expressions well on the feed (at least not as it plays at my house). And I'm fairly confident Kovtun is far from the greatest comic ever to grace the ice. But he is trying, which is exactly what I appreciate. Athletes striving to deal with their weaknesses and find themselves as skaters & performers. Will this be his style? Maybe not. But can it help him find one? I believe it can. Skating to yet another heavy and dramatic piece was highly unlikely to do it. Works for some skaters. Has NOT for him.

Now, can these programs improve throughout the season? Absolutely. My major concern with the free is the Ode to Joy section. It runs away without him & makes it glaringly obvious that he is too slow & cannot keep up. Solutions? Well, he could change this section of the music. (Maybe not a bad idea considering how phenomenal Machida's performance of it was last season). Or he could improve his conditioning & prove me wrong by skating up to the fast portion of the music. In which case the speed could absolutely sell the program. Either way, there is potential here for improvement. Kudos for making the attempt.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Daniel Samohin is really good! He totally won this competition.

Kovtun's costumes are annoying. The programs are good enough, but he needs more consistency.