Predictions for JGP Final: Men | Golden Skate

Predictions for JGP Final: Men

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Since there's a thread for the ladies, I think the men deserve one too. While Nathan is the obvious favorite, what about Sota, Dmitri, and Daniel - what can they do between now and December to ensure they have a chance of beating him (assuming Nathan skates well)? And do Roman or Vincent have a chance at the podium at all?

1 Nathan CHEN USA PB 236.76
2 Dmitri ALIEV RUS PB 225.94
3 Sota YAMAMOTO JPN PB 232.42
4 Roman SADOVSKY CAN PB 203.72
5 Daniel SAMOHIN ISR PB 227.19
6 Vincent ZHOU USA PB 211.96

Rissa

Record Breaker
Here's a guess.

1. Chen
2. Yamamoto
3. Aliev
4. Samohin
5. Zhou
6. Sadovsky

So hard to tell... Samohin's got massive scoring potential if he hits his jumps, he could get ahead of Aliev and even Yamamoto. So maybe this is a wishful thinkin because I'm biased in favor of Samohin but my prediction is:

1. Chen
2. Samohin
3. Yamamoto
4. Aliev
5. Zhou
6. Sadovsky

nikros

Rinkside
My guess is the same, but I assume that clean Aliev can fight for bronze.
1) Chen
2) Samohin
3-4)Yamamoto
3-4) Aliev
5) Zhou
6) Sadovsky.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I can't see Sota-kun off the podium unless he completely bombs. Which wouldn't be a bad thing since I want him to save his best for Worlds and win.

1) Nathan
2) Sota
3) Daniel
4) Dmitry/Roman

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Sota should try to put the second 3A back into his LP, now that he's stabilized all his other Jumps. --Even if in the short term (JGPF) it doesn't work out, it will stand him in good stead down the road at the Senior Nationals (where he should try to aim for top 5) and Junior Worlds. If it does work out, then he will have a significant TES boost over Daniel, who, though he does have 3 quads, loses points on steps, spins and PCS.

Eloyse

On the Ice
1 Chen
2 Yamamoto
3 Samohin
4 Aliev
5 Zhou
6 Sadovsky

Go Daniel and Roman!!!!:cheer2:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Nathan, Aliev, Deniss, and Yaroslav are all signed up to go against each other at Tallinn Trophy.

Last edited:

paulusfr

On the Ice
1. Nathan CHEN
2. Sota YAMAMOTO
3-4. Daniel SAMOHIN
3-4. Dmitri ALIEV (they're both inconsistent, so..)
5. Vincent ZHOU
6. Roman SADOVSKY

SFCineSkate

Spectator
My predictions:
1) Nathan Chen
2) Sota Yamamoto
3/4) Daniel Samohin
3/4) Dmitri Aliev
5) Vincent Zhou
6) Roman Sadovsky

I don't see how Nathan will lose if he hits all of his jumps bc he's the total package. He set the golden standard in Colorado and imo, raised the scoring on the men's side all around afterwards. Sota is super consistent and has an edge on Nathan in terms of height and flow out of the jump. Daniel has 3 quads but can easily crash & burn. Aliev is a bit inconsistent as well. Vincent and Roman are longshots but I know Vincent is practicing 3As and he needs to hit them if he wants to win a medal.

Nathan, Aliev, Deniss, and Yaroslav are all signed up to go against each other at Tallinn Trophy.

I'm interested in seeing Nathan squaring off against Dmitri bc they haven't competed against one another yet. Also, it will be great to see Deniss again sooner rather than later and imo, deserved to be in the final more than Roman and only out due to an incredibly close tiebreaker.

yangjie

On the Ice
1 Nathan Chen
2 Daniel SAMOHIN
3 Sota Yamamoto
4 Dmitri Aliev
5 Vincent Zhou
6 Roman Sadovsky

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan CHEN
Sota YAMAMOTO
Daniel SAMOHIN
Dmitri ALIEV
Vincent ZHOU
Roman SADOVSKY

shyne

Final Flight
1 Nathan CHEN
2 Sota YAMAMOTO
3 Dmitri ALIEV
4 Daniel SAMOHIN
5 Vincent ZHOU
6 Roman SADOVSKY

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
1 Sota YAMAMOTO
2 Nathan CHEN
3 Dmitri ALIEV
4 Daniel SAMOHIN
5 Vincent ZHOU
6 Roman SADOVSKY

The Finn

Record Breaker
1. Sota Yamamoto
2. Dmitri Aliev
3. Nathan Chen
4. Daniel Samohin
5. Vincent Zhou
6. Roman Sadovsky

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Nathan Chen is apparently going for 4 quads in his FS - in case anyone wants to reconsider their votes...:eek:

Seems unnecessary to me, but if he can pull it off...wow!

@ISU_Figure
News from #GPFBarcelona: Nathan Chen (USA) now plans 4 quads in FS: 2 x 4s & 2x 4T. Says, he did it in practice in his FS.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan Chen is apparently going for 4 quads in his FS - in case anyone wants to reconsider their votes...:eek:

Seems unnecessary to me, but if he can pull it off...wow!

@ISU_Figure
News from #GPFBarcelona: Nathan Chen (USA) now plans 4 quads in FS: 2 x 4s & 2x 4T. Says, he did it in practice in his FS.

Yikes i hope he holds off on that. He can win doing his normal jumps he's done all season. Something tells me he's trying to send a message to the other US Men that they better have a quad or two and that he's looking at Senior Worlds this year not Junior Worlds.

Last edited:

MIM

Medalist
YAY!! So excited to see theses young talents! I didn't follow junior gps this season, but I am catching up with YT videos. Good Luck, boys!!!:agree:

1 Nathan CHEN
2 Sota YAMAMOTO
3 Dmitri ALIEV
4 Daniel SAMOHIN ISR
5 Vincent ZHOU
6 Roman SADOVSKY

Nathan has sureness in his skating. He has a decent presentation and an ambitious technical layout.
Sota is my favorite, but he needs to work on stamina. There are so many things I enjoy in his skating; his natural grace and softness on everything (skating, jumping, spinning), plus the musicality! the timing of the elements as well as footworks to the music is marvelous :love:! I love his last season LP; it was a breath of fresh air, effortless!! Adding the technical contents this season, the brightness and easiness in his presentation slightly suffers. At the end of the LP, his blades were sharp and on-point, but his face wasn't, still good upper body movements though. He looks like dancing in the red shoes.
Dmitri has very clean and sharp elements. But his presentation is kind of lacking. He needs to believe in what he is portraying in his program.
Daniel is very exciting, but too wild and rough.
Vincent and Roman are skating yet too carefully, they will need more time to break through.

Last edited:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Finally someone didn't pick Nathan Chen to win. It makes me very nervous to have someone (anyone) an overwhelming favorite. After all, ice is slippery.