Brendan Kerry | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Brendan Kerry

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh boy.

I don't think a program has ever given me such bad whiplash. I spent the entire first section in violent loathing of the hideous cover, and the entire second section grinning like a happy loon because it was so good.

What was Morozov or Amodio or whoever came up with this concept thinking? That cover in the first half is ridiculous (and it also makes him look silly in his leather jacket and fingerless gloves coz you're not expecting super slow). And it's not helped by the fact that they basically repeat the same song but in its original form in the second half. If they wanted to use a slow Grease song to start why didn't they do something like "Hopelessly Devoted to You" first? Be unusual for a guy but he could pull it off. Or if they wanted to be really ballsy they could start with "A Thing I'd Never Do". But this is just...ergh. And Morozovian music cuts strike again with one truly hideous cut in the middle of the second half (in the camel spin).

I'm neutral on the SP at the moment. It didn't immediately jump out at me as great like the original version of "Everybody Wants to Rule The World", but it also didn't strike me as terrible, so I'm reserving judgement on that one.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:laugh:

Brendan would have been fourth at Skate America with that SP.

Instead he's 9th.

LOLOLOLOLOL that competition was crazy.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Bring on the weird Grease Free Skate.
I'm all in on for it.
Surprise me.

Also, commendable effort. 8 points from the podium.
He probably won't get there, but a solid effort will help him.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If he pulls off a surprise medal tomorrow, I will take back every word I said about the Grease FS and worship it for the rest of time*.

* Okay, it might take a gold to make me go to that lengths, but the basic point still stands.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
Oh boy.

I don't think a program has ever given me such bad whiplash. I spent the entire first section in violent loathing of the hideous cover, and the entire second section grinning like a happy loon because it was so good.

What was Morozov or Amodio or whoever came up with this concept thinking? That cover in the first half is ridiculous (and it also makes him look silly in his leather jacket and fingerless gloves coz you're not expecting super slow). And it's not helped by the fact that they basically repeat the same song but in its original form in the second half. If they wanted to use a slow Grease song to start why didn't they do something like "Hopelessly Devoted to You" first? Be unusual for a guy but he could pull it off. Or if they wanted to be really ballsy they could start with "A Thing I'd Never Do". But this is just...ergh. And Morozovian music cuts strike again with one truly hideous cut in the middle of the second half (in the camel spin).

I'm neutral on the SP at the moment. It didn't immediately jump out at me as great like the original version of "Everybody Wants to Rule The World", but it also didn't strike me as terrible, so I'm reserving judgement on that one.

Love him or hate him, Morozov's brand of BS is all about Art with a Capital F.

He's like Tuberidze, and knows what it takes to win.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have officially dubbed the program Disaster Grease and it will remain that way for as long as he keeps it.

It didn't get better on a second viewing.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I thing Brendan's free skating is out there, and wacky, and weirdly edited, and I LOVE it.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
Is that singer covering Grease on life support? He sounds like every breath could be his last.

Anyway, Kerry's free is my new favourite worst program of the season. It's a hard act to follow Nam Nguyen's posturing BS short from last year where he skated to that awful Emo version of Over The Rainbow.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I totally loved the second part! It's the sort of music that makes you clap along and I thought his step sequence was boss!

The first part though WTH? That's the weirdest cover I've ever heard! Who came up with that (Oh Nikiloai Morozov well...) it is endearingly French I suppose.

But as Karne mentioned it it's super weird that they have two cuts of the same song? I don't remember anyone doing that before, it doesn't really work. For a slower song they should go with Sandy, especially since Danny sings it in the movie the whole Greaser look makes perfect sense.

I love the costume though, he looks ready to race Thunder Road :laugh:

GF2445

Record Breaker
The thing I fear is that if his team revert to using cuts from the movie soundtrack, his free skate might be seen as just another generic Grease Medley.
However, because of the first song in his free skate, it stands out. For better or for worse? It's debatable.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The thing I fear is that if his team revert to using cuts from the movie soundtrack, his free skate might be seen as just another generic Grease Medley.
However, because of the first song in his free skate, it stands out. For better or for worse? It's debatable.

Hmm true, although at first I couldn't figure out which song it was and then it was confusion over the way the singer was singing it and then I was just kind of giggling.

I love Grease so I don't mind a medley! I don't even remember that many Grease medleys for it to be considered generic. There's Laurine and...???

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well I mean he didn't skate great but...at least he was in good company? coz it's not like anyone else did either.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The ice was cursed.

It was cursed again at Skate Canada 2019.
From the way it behaved in the Rhythm Dance, I am pretty sure the ice was too hard, more like hockey ice.

Brendan's birthday is coming up in November, so I updated his OP. The video links are all live.

Are there any interview links that you know about that I should add?

Last edited:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Brendan is competing at the French Masters de Patinage as an invited skater on 1-3 October 2020. I've started a thread for the Masters here for anyone who wants to follow along!