2015 Skate Canada Ladies Short Program | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate Canada Ladies Short Program

desertskates

Medalist
Speaking of Ashley's dress... I thought she looked great in yesterday's borrowed dress, but I hope she tweets or instagrams a pic of her own so we can see what it looks like! Inquiring minds want to know. :laugh:

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
I had the same question. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Can you do, say, a quad toe for your single jump and a quad Salchow (no second jump) for your "combo" and still get a bag full of points?

In short, yes. This rule wasn't always in place under the IJS, but they struggled with what to do with skaters who did imperfect first jumps in their combos such that they were unable to tack on the second jump, but it was obvious that it was supposed to be a combo. People cried foul that they got no points at all for trying difficult combos, so this was the compromise — they would get partial credit for the partial element.

andromache

Record Breaker
Was Ashley generously scored? Yes. Is it right? No. But I honestly can't blame the judges for it this time around considering the splatfest they sat through. Seeing someone deliver skating second-to-last in a total disaster event probably makes you way more grateful for the nice performance. It's a normal mental reaction, and the inflation wasn't egregious anyway. If Ashley had this same score at Skate America, it would've put her just behind Evgenia, Ashley with a 2ish point lead in PCS (veteran status and performance ability) and Evgenia with a 2.5ish point lead in TES (combo in the 2nd half and Lv4 step sequence over Ashley's Lv3). Although Ashley's PCS would probably be lower in that competition since it was a deeper field and not a total disaster for most of the skaters like it was here.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Was Ashley generously scored? Yes. Is it right? No. But I honestly can't blame the judges for it this time around considering the splatfest they sat through. Seeing someone deliver skating second-to-last in a total disaster event probably makes you way more grateful for the nice performance. It's a normal mental reaction, and the inflation wasn't egregious anyway. If Ashley had this same score at Skate America, it would've put her just behind Evgenia, Ashley with a 2ish point lead in PCS (veteran status and performance ability) and Evgenia with a 2.5ish point lead in TES (combo in the 2nd half and Lv4 step sequence over Ashley's Lv3). Although Ashley's PCS would probably be lower in that competition since it was a deeper field and not a total disaster for most of the skaters like it was here.

This is a great comment. :points: Especially the part about the judges having to watch Splat after Splat. I've judged tournaments where I've basically been "Begging" Dancer's to go clean so I can give a score higher than a 70. Believe me. Splat fests are zero fun for the judges. Looking at the lineup of skaters at this event, there's absolutely no way that I would have predicted that Ashley would be in first after the SP. But hey that's why they compete. I'm hoping for some strong skates in the LP

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a great comment. :points: Especially the part about the judges having to watch Splat after Splat. I've judged tournaments where I've basically been "Begging" Dancer's to go clean so I can give a score higher than a 70. Believe me. Splat fests are zero fun for the judges. Looking at the lineup of skaters at this event, there's absolutely no way that I would have predicted that Ashley would be in first after the SP. But hey that's why they compete. I'm hoping for some strong skates in the LP

This doesn't bother me so much but is one of the many reasons why scores can't really be compared from event to event.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
After looking at the scores, do I even want to watch anyone besides Ashley? Did all of the Men and Women drink the tar sands oil or something?

Edit: I just watched Polina. LOVED IT.

Last edited:

MIM

Medalist

:clap: I agree with both of you. It must have been painful to watch them fail after fail LIVE. And Ashely saved the event and became an undeniable winner of this event. Also, that is why we have GP FINAL to make things more interesting!:yay:

Watching closely every performance (thanks to Mao88:cheer:) after all the excitements+disappointments gone, I am impressed by the quality of most of the programs. They put a lot of thoughts into them and I can feel general improvements of the field. I hope the very best for the LPs.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I just rewatched the flying sit. On the COE, she did come up as she set it just above knee level with her butt. That's what netted her 0

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In short, yes. This rule wasn't always in place under the IJS, but they struggled with what to do with skaters who did imperfect first jumps in their combos such that they were unable to tack on the second jump, but it was obvious that it was supposed to be a combo. People cried foul that they got no points at all for trying difficult combos, so this was the compromise — they would get partial credit for the partial element.

I don't dispute what you're saying, but again, this is ridiculous.

Risk/reward is a factor in many sports. In skating, if you want more points... you go for a tougher combination. The downside to that approach is you risk flubbing it.

Or... you play it safe and conservative, and the risk is that someone else executes a tough routine and leaves you in the dust.

That's the way it should be, but ISU has to tinker with the natural order of things.

Now, you're rewarded for what you meant to do, and not what you actually did. So a single jump becomes a "combo." Idiotic.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just saw Liza's skate. Ugh...even when she looked shaky during the summer Ex's she was nailing that split jump. It wasn't very awesome in this particular SP. Not to pile on but the StSeq was just a lot of pointlessness. I hope it was an off day but I'm worried even when she is on that the Steps might look like this :hopelessness: Oh Liza...she is really exposed when the elements aren't there.

Hopefully she can bounce back. We all know she is better than that.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So Tukt is done. Another one of those one hit wonder, destroyed by puberty, IKEA Russians.

Yeah. She's done. Clearly her 133 point FS marks the untimely end of her career. :sarcasm:

As far as a one hit wonder, she's had many more hits, including Euros, the GPF and not to mention she's already had a strong GP season (her debut) before. And who cares if a skater is a one hit wonder? They clearly did better than most skaters ever who would kill to have even one hit.

ssffww

On the Ice
I agree. I love her Moulin Rouge...though not at NHK...never seen it that badly performed.