2015 Skate Canada Ladies Free Skate | Page 62 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate Canada Ladies Free Skate

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Her program is empty, no one denies that. The point was that with clean skate and difficult technical content skaters often get higher PCS marks than they should. It was an answer to CSG's post that it's Mishin's strategy. Liza is not the first one, and definitely is not the last who gets rewarded for that. :confused2:

And I quote, "In fact, we don't have any transitions because we focus on our jumps."

Truer words.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Can someone please indicate where are all these amazing 8s-9s choreography and transitions in Ashley's skate? I was watching her feet and they really didn't do much, so how was Ashley's skate not "empty"?

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Can someone please indicate where are all these amazing 8s-9s choreography and transitions in Ashley's skate? I was watching her feet and they really didn't do much, so how was Ashley's skate not "empty"?

Most people weren't looking down there, they were watching Ashley 'sell' the program with her facial expressions. :cool:

qwertyskates

Medalist
Most people weren't looking down there, they were watching Ashley 'sell' the program with her facial expressions. :cool:

That's what bothered me...at least Tuk's had a 3a, big jumps and better spin positions, and they admitted they omitted the rest to focus on the jumps...if Ashley had good jumps it wouldn't bother me as much that there wasn't much else to merit those PCS :palmf:

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow, just noticing judge #6 on Tukt's scores. Seems harsh, but I can't say I entirely disagree. By the same token, judge #5 (probably the Russian judge) should get their eyes checked.

5.50 to 9.25 for IN, is that the widest PCS gap ever? :eekn:

moriel

Record Breaker
Wow, just noticing judge #6 on Tukt's scores. Seems harsh, but I can't say I entirely disagree. By the same token, judge #5 (probably the Russian judge) should get their eyes checked.

5.50 to 9.25 for IN, is that the widest PCS gap ever? :eekn:

Or maybe the 5.50 guy should get his eyes checked - 9.25 is less of an outlier than 5.50 - compared to all other scores, compared to trimmed means etc.
It looks more like there is one hater judge, thats all.

But then also Gracie got 9.25 in IN at SA, so shall be around the correct upper bound really.

Meoima

Match Penalty
That's what bothered me...at least Tuk's had a 3a, big jumps and better spin positions, and they admitted they omitted the rest to focus on the jumps...if Ashley had good jumps it wouldn't bother me as much that there wasn't much else to merit those PCS :palmf:
I know right :roll5:
I like diva Wagner, but her programs are like this: upper body movements and facial expressions are used as transitions.:angry2:

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I give you the jumps. But Spin positions? Really? Compare their sit spins (Liza's flying sit pancake leg is bent and her basic sit spins are arguably not fully in sit position), and compare their layback (IMO Liza shouldn't even get credit for "sideways leaning" as there is almost no actual lean).

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I've been rewatching some of the programs, and it's not definitely just Ashley (who at least BTW shows that she's listening to her music and that she's trying to portray something and to communicate with the audience, which is certainly better than nothing at all), also comparing her program to Polina's and Kanako's the PCS gap in Liza's favour is absurd, she should be on par with Kanako way below Polina

Last edited:

qwertyskates

Medalist
I've been rewatching some of the programs, and it's not definitely just Ashley (who at least BTW shows that she's listening to her music and that she's trying to portray something and to communicate with the audience, which is certainly better than nothing at all), also comparing her program to Polina's and Kanako's the PCS gap in Liza's favour is absurd, she should be on par with Kanako way below Polina

Tuk's PCS should not be as high, but it could be a situation similar to other favored medalists, she delivered on the TES, and they awarded her the PCS based on her past performance and World Champion rep the way Patrick and Yuzuru kept theirs even for poor skates, eg. their SPs. Judges will never lower her PCS to a Polina's, the way they would never lower Javier's to a Nam's. Ashley's getting the World Champion PCS, but she hasn't even got close yet, Kanako has done much better in the ranking.

Most are deriding Tuk for her skate being empty, and that she shouldn't win WC with this program, but no one is saying the same about Ashley's empty skate with worse TES.

At least Tuk admitted to the lack of components, so she might add them on later in the GP.

I hope Ashley pushes herself to deliver a better performance, I don't want either to win with their respective skates on SC.

Last edited:

qwertyskates

Medalist
I give you the jumps. But Spin positions? Really? Compare their sit spins (Liza's flying sit pancake leg is bent and her basic sit spins are arguably not fully in sit position), and compare their layback (IMO Liza shouldn't even get credit for "sideways leaning" as there is almost no actual lean).

Both don't have strong spins, but at least Liza had a layback/layside that is acceptable under CoP and showed greater flexibility, Ashley's spin positions are very basic. Aside from the jumps, Tuk's speed and coverage across the ice was visibly better, even with the strong beat at the beginning of her program, the only dynamism I saw in Ashley's skate was in her "Egyptian" hand movements, and she stayed at the centre of the ice alot.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Most are deriding Tuk for her skate being empty, and that she shouldn't win WC with this program, but no one is saying the same about Ashley's empty skate with worse TES.

That's because Ashley actually performs and actually has choreography, regardless of the transitions not being great.

And because nobody is seriously considering Ashley a contender to win worlds yet. ;)

qwertyskates

Medalist
That's because Ashley actually performs and actually has choreography, regardless of the transitions not being great.

And because nobody is seriously considering Ashley a contender to win worlds yet. ;)

That is the problem, I didn't see choreography - dramatic pauses, cross-overs, jumps, dramatic pauses, cross overs, jumps..I'm happy enough for Jason to win with no quads and error-proned jumps because his programs are well choreographed and his skates are so expressive.

I hope that if she does, Ashley wins worlds with a better program than this, I want a ladies' winner as good as the men's in TES and PCS, not for looks and acting.:drama:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Both don't have strong spins, but at least Liza had a layback/layside that is acceptable under CoP and showed greater flexibility, Ashley's spin positions are very basic. Aside from the jumps, Tuk's speed and coverage across the ice was visibly better, even with the strong beat at the beginning of her program, the only dynamism I saw in Ashley's skate was in her "Egyptian" hand movements, and she stayed at the centre of the ice alot.

I'm sorry but I thoroughly disagree with your assessment of their spin positions.

Look at Wagner's layback https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oeiCGPIpIc#t=2m58s VS. Tukt's layback (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFaBMpEO1Ns#t=1m32s) - I have no idea how you can suggest Tukt's shows greater flexibility - look at the bend in the back of Wagner's sideways leaning position vs Tukt who essentially tilts her head ... Wagner's leg is raised higher in the layback/sideways positions which requires greater hip flexibility; Wagner does a Biellmann with much greater back arch and both hands on the blade and her head looking upwards .. yes, Tukt's is acceptable but it's pretty obvious that Wagner has the superior spin

Wagner's flying sit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oeiCGPIpIc#t=2m58s which is a much harder flying entry with the death drop, immediately attains the sit position, and a much harder sit position than Tukt's) vs. Tukt's sit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFaBMpEO1Ns#t=1m48s ; late getting into the sit, leg bent in the pancake, no toe point)

Last edited:

qwertyskates

Medalist
I was talking about the FS, per this thread title, I didn't pay a lot of attention to their SP because I agreed Ashley's SP deserved the win.

So my comments were about their FS, not SP.

Ashley might medal, but with this FS pitted against the likes of Mao, Anna, Rika and Elena, not very likely. She needs to up her elements.

Last edited: