On Site Reports: Share experiences SC 2015 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

On Site Reports: Share experiences SC 2015

mrrice

Record Breaker
No makeup??? She looks like she has some serious makeup. I don't get why she is doing the Kungfu hand or the "praying hands" of Buddhist Monks at the beginning. Sorry I could not bear to watch her LP last season due to the screaming vocal and the refined version does not change anything.

OK, I don't agree but, I give you serious props for humor. Especially the Kungfu praying hands bit :laugh2:

caitie

Medalist
I don't think the program looks very different tbh? But I'm slightly annoyed with Ashley for keeping it in the first place, so maybe that's my bias, IDK.

Scovies

Final Flight
Ashley flat-out said in her TSL interview that she had to do shows over the summer to make money (she supports herself entirely, and it's not like American figure skaters can make Michelle Kwan money these days), so I'm a little more sympathetic to her keeping her FS than I was before. She probably made around 60k in prize money last year, but once you factor in taxes, training costs, costumes, choreo, and travel, that's not a whole lot of money. Max Aaron said in his Reddit AMA that an elite figure skater can expect to spend about $2,000 a month.

Her LP isn't drastically different overall, but based on her practice run-through, she's added a lot more "in between" moments and cut out a lot of the crossovers, which I think was the biggest issue in an otherwise fabulous program. It's quite a change from what she did at the Japan Open.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think the program looks very different tbh? But I'm slightly annoyed with Ashley for keeping it in the first place, so maybe that's my bias, IDK.

In TSL interview 9/24 or thereabouts, Ashley said she needed to do a lot of shows last summer. She's self-supporting. When her team got together to plan her schedule, they saw that there wouldn't be time to create both a new LP and SP. They chose to make the new SP, which she did in some of the shows, and keep the LP, adding transitions, small changes and refinements over the season.

I'm thrilled that she's going to keep the Moulin Rouge program, which I love. It highlights her expressiveness, her outstanding musical interpretation, and how she draws an audience in, when she's performing it well. It may depend on whether she can keep it new, for herself. I think she'll be able to do it because there will always be something unexplored or a little shade of difference. I'm reminded of when Brian Boitano said he could always get inspiration for his Music of the Night program by standing in the wings backstage to watch his friend perform as the Phantom every night, finding ways to keep it interesting.

mustafakent

On the Ice
No makeup??? She looks like she has some serious makeup. I don't get why she is doing the Kungfu hand or the "praying hands" of Buddhist Monks at the beginning. Sorry I could not bear to watch her LP last season due to the screaming vocal and the refined version does not change anything.

Apparently you haven't seen the movie yet.You better watch it before criticizing it.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I was thinking the same thing. Why haven't we heard a word about she's looking?

I've seen her skating around the other girls in practice vids. She looks gorgeous wearing some sort of patriotic gymnastics leo, but haven't seen her jump yet since no actual footage of her doing her programs have surfaced yet. She looks a lot more grownup than last season from the few glimpses I saw though. No more bambi, she has muscular Kostner legs now!

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I've been lurking at GS for years, but this is my first post. :)

At any rate, I am going to Skate Canada. I will not see the practices as I'll be driving up tomorrow morning, but I'll be there for the whole competition and the exhibition (unless the weather looks bad, in which case I'll have to head back early). It'll be the first ISU competition I get to see live. In fact, it's my first time seeing any live skating at all aside from ice dance, and I'm very excited! I'll try to post impressions.
Welcome, welcome! And what a way to start! Live skating is so different. Watch Patrick's ice coverage; it is glorious.
Enjoy!

Alex D

Record Breaker
Just a few quick notes ...

First of all, Kaetlyn can be very proud about herself. Not only was she the first lady on the ice and did represent the home nation, no she also managed to get away after what I classify as an unexpected fall.
These falls are very nasty, as when you fall and your body cannot prepare for it, it will shut down to prevent further damage. While it´s only for a short time, even if you wanted, you couldn't get up and this explains why it took her some time to get back on her feet, much longer than for instance after a jump element.
Later in her program, she had to really fight hard, as her body was still not back to 100%, it takes a while to reboot so to speak and she really preserved her program well, by not losing any more elements. Great job there that can not be mentioned enough, hopefully some of the journalists in Canada will mention this in their articles, as it's not something that should be ignored. And did you see her smiles, she always does that, it´s so lovely – what a great girl, no injury can stop her positive energy!

As for Liza and Alena, I was honestly very sad about their performances. Especially Alena, I do know what it means for her to perform and skate, she doesn't has the advantage of so many other Russians anymore, so that bombing her program get´s very close to her. She is a lovely young lady and I hope her friends and family will find the right words so that she can come back tomorrow and prove what a great skater she is. To see her tears ....

Liza, yes, I would never ever say this to a girl, but oh boy – she looked so pale, like being ill, I don't know. I really don't want to sound disrespectful, or rude but I felt she wasn't at 100%. I really hope all is right with her.
Ashley, wow, what a wonderful performance, it's a miracle to me why she isn't more popular, especially in her home country. Lovely jumps and great performance, I really liked all her emotes and the sexiness. As far I can tell, she seemed to have a very good execution of her elements, very clean.

The Asian skaters did wonderful too, very impressive. I absolutely love it that they do skate a bit more outgoing these days. Love their smiles!

My favorite program, however, was from Isabelle, that was pure mature skating, what a beautiful woman and program.
I wish all the ladies luck for their Free Skates and of course also all the other skaters, hopefully more people will come to watch them and throw some stuff on the ice, as there was hardly anything flying, except the moose for Kaety, it still needs a name right? :)

Sadly I don´t have more time, but please support the skaters if you are at the venue, they deserve it!

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Very happy about how the bottom tier of seats were nicely filled throughout the Short Program Day.
People were even sitting on top tier that were used during the men's and pairs.