Keegan Messing | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Keegan Messing

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Terrible news. My condolences to Keegan and the Messing family.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This is so unfortunate. :( Sending my condolences to Keegan and his family.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
He must be devastated, my deepest condolences for him, his family and his brother's family :(

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
What courage from Keegan yesterday at Skate America - and what an athlete he is. I have nothing but respect and admiration for him,

Sastrugi

Rinkside
Just popping in to say that Keegan was a class act yesterday. His SP is so moving and his speed throughout the whole skate was amazing!

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Keegan’s tribute to his brother was deeply moving. While no grief is the same- my little brother died 17 years ago and I found it hard to keep it together watching his skate. What a beautiful way to honor someone you love.

I hope that Keegan finds peace and support in his skating. We should be honored he chose to share his love for his brother with us.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I've always thought of Keegan as a skater who excelled at lighthearted programs. I'll never forget Singin' in the Rain or Charlie Chaplin. Not only is he doing two programs this year that are in a different vein than anything else he's done, but there is the added layer of Paxon's death. I look forward to watching the LP grow. The SP is already phenomenal. I loved how well Keegan did with a more lyrical program. It reminded me of Patrick Chan, with the smoothness and the speed and the skating skills and pleasant spins (as opposed to variations that look painful) and how every moment has a purpose. I'll be a big Patrick fan for life, so I don't say that lightly. I can't imagine how it must have been for Keegan to skate that SP, thinking about his wife AND deceased brother, both of whom he loves so much. Bravo, Keegan! I am a fan of figure skating not because of the judging or the results, but because of moments like this! :yes:

EVEN BETTER was the Ex Keegan did!!! Oh my heavens, I will never forget that as long as I live.:love::love::love: I loved when he carried the picture to center ice and the whole crowd went into reverent silence for the most part until he finished. He skated beautifully with trademark Keegan stuff and then knelt next to the picture with tears streaming down his face and said some last words to Paxon. What a beautiful way to pay tribute to his brother and what a gift that we got to witness it. I can't explain my feelings adequately. I don't care that it was via a computer screen; what I felt was still beyond words and I felt like I was there. His skating was deeply emotional this week and not just fun. I have always enjoyed Keegan's skating, but now I'm officially in love with it!

Thank you, Keegan, for sharing this week with us even though it wasn't easy. :thank: :bow: All the best for the rest of the season and, more importantly, may you find peace, comfort, and support in this time of loss. It is heartbreaking to realize that Keegan's wedding and his brother's death were not that far apart. So much joy and so much sadness so close together. There are no words. :cry:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I love the ISU stream of Keegan's Ex for a lot of reasons, but I also love this fancam. While the ISU stream was zoomed in on Paxon, this fancam shows how Keegan actually started skating in the program. And, you know, with the skaters we most enjoy watching, we are hungry to see every detail of their skating. Lo and behold, this is a gem. As the lyrics begin, Keegan does a GLORIOUS one-foot glide, then bends his foot and makes the turn. And his arm movements in those first 10 seconds of lyrics really match the music. Keegan gets from center ice almost to the boards with just that one glides and turns so effortlessly without having to stop. I also loved getting a clearer view of Keegan's ice coverage through the entire program with the fancam. He has really good skating skills and everything looks so smooth. I simply came here to comment on the majesty of the part that the ISU camera didn't show, but honestly, I ended up watching the whole thing (yet again). No matter how many times I watch it, there are new details I catch, like Keegan gesturing toward the picture on "just me and you." I couldn't take my eyes off Keegan in either the SP or the Ex. The mark of whether a program has moved me is how many times I go back to catch every little detail. The fancam shows off different aspects of the Ex than the stream, so I love both.

Do you think that'll be the only time he'll skate this Ex? I wouldn't be surprised if it was a one-off, because it's really emotional for him. He said in an interview that this was his "last goodbye" to Paxon, so my guess is he'll never skate the program again. If so, it is extra precious to me because it only happened once. Approximately a 4-minute moment he created, once, that none of us will soon forget.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Do you think that'll be the only time he'll skate this Ex? I wouldn't be surprised if it was a one-off, because it's really emotional for him. He said in an interview that this was his "last goodbye" to Paxon, so my guess is he'll never skate the program again. If so, it is extra precious to me because it only happened once. Approximately a 4-minute moment he created, once, that none of us will soon forget.

I hope he doesn't skate it again. The emotion is just too raw.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I hope he doesn't skate it again. The emotion is just too raw.
I totally agree with that. And I think I figured out what Ex Keegan will perform next. In this article, which is a great read about the thought process behind the tribute Ex, Keegan says, "My wife knew but I kept telling my parents I was skating to 'Blue Suede Shoes’, which was actually my second number here if I was going to have to choose between the two. I didn’t tell my parents at all." And, a very quick Google search shows that he has performed it already in the off-season. Let's just say it's completely different in tone and content than "Here I Am." So much fun!!! :rock:

How long has Keegan been able to do a backflip? I haven't seen his previous Exs, so I didn't know that he could do a backflip. It was quite effective in "Here I Am," I must say. I am SO looking forward to every new Ex from Keegan now! :biggrin:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love the ISU stream of Keegan's Ex for a lot of reasons, but I also love this fancam. While the ISU stream was zoomed in on Paxon, this fancam shows how Keegan actually started skating in the program. And, you know, with the skaters we most enjoy watching, we are hungry to see every detail of their skating. Lo and behold, this is a gem. As the lyrics begin, Keegan does a GLORIOUS one-foot glide, then bends his foot and makes the turn. And his arm movements in those first 10 seconds of lyrics really match the music. Keegan gets from center ice almost to the boards with just that one glides and turns so effortlessly without having to stop. I also loved getting a clearer view of Keegan's ice coverage through the entire program with the fancam. He has really good skating skills and everything looks so smooth. I simply came here to comment on the majesty of the part that the ISU camera didn't show, but honestly, I ended up watching the whole thing (yet again). No matter how many times I watch it, there are new details I catch, like Keegan gesturing toward the picture on "just me and you." I couldn't take my eyes off Keegan in either the SP or the Ex. The mark of whether a program has moved me is how many times I go back to catch every little detail. The fancam shows off different aspects of the Ex than the stream, so I love both.

Man, do I ever regret not being there. I can't believe there are so few people in this thread.

Keegan is my favorite male skater. :love:

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Man, do I ever regret not being there. I can't believe there are so few people in this thread.

Keegan is my favorite male skater. :love:

I can't believe there are so few people on this thread, too - Keegan is awesome - as an athlete and as a person.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
NBC Universal has blocked it. I am so angry. NBC is not airing any exhibitions that I know of. Nor is NBC Sports Network or whatever it is. Nor is NBC Gold, which I pay for. Why can't I see it NBC?:angry1:
It is very unfortunate. My VPN used to be a nice extra just in case I wanted to watch geoblocked content. This season it has become a necessity. I was able to download Keegan's SP (and the Ex) though, so here you go.

SP (1080p) - the picture quality is a bit odd for my taste, especially when Keegan is spinning
SP (720p) - my preference
Ex - I cut out the card trick weirdness

I found a fancam of the Ex also, which works normally on YouTube.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
**SPOILER ALERT FOR COC SP**

This program is SO GOOD!!! The jumps did not go well today at all and I still loved watching Keegan. Everything besides the jumps was wonderful. I love all the details in the choreography. I think the step sequence is my favorite part. :love: Oh, who am I kidding, I love the whole thing! :luv17: Overall the program looks stronger and smoother than Skate America. (But maybe that's just me falling in love with the choreography more and more every time I watch it). I like Keegan's new costume a lot.

Hopefully, Keegan will be able to have a good LP and get on the podium. I hope he can somehow get into the GPF because I want to watch this SP as many times as possible. He's in 5th right now, about 5 points out of 3rd and 9 points out of 2nd. Many skaters are close to each other in the standings. The LP will be exciting! Fingers crossed!

In the K&C, Keegan said, "The hat's in Toronto with Nam. Nam, I'm going to need that hat back." :laugh: Regardless of the jumps, what a lovely way to start my day today! :yes: I love the skaters who make me not care about the jumps.