Junhwan Cha | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Junhwan Cha

s_parks

Record Breaker
News clip from 2 ish days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA2M_3ztnOo
At the beginning, it talks about how he used to be a cf model, etc when he was young. He started skating because he liked the feeling of cool air rushing past when skating fast across the ice. He talks about how Orser asked him why he wasn't excited when he landed the 4s. :laugh: But Jun hwan says he had attempted it many times (in practice), but only just now succeeded(lol, his ambitiousness :biggrin:). On overcoming nervousness during competition, he just kept in mind what he'd been practicing. On the things he learning from his coaches, he mentions that he should always maintain speed throughout, and shouldn't open up on jumps too much(or vice versa, I wasn't sure how to translate the opposite, lol). He says that rather than focusing on the results, they'll follow if he skates without mistakes.

Sorry for my not-very-cohesive translation, haha.

his sp run through:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfOtiWrxJHc

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker
He looked like his foot was in pain in the k&c. :( Hope he takes it easy in the fs, maybe not go for the quad. And I'm sure he's stopped trying the 4lo for now, thank goodness...

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Jun Hwan really amazed me with his ballet movement and high technical content. Still, I'm a bit worried about his jumps in the future. There seems to be a larger gap between his upper thighs when he does jumps, than say Hanyu, which makes his rotation speed slower ( or is it just my imagination?).

s_parks

Record Breaker
A great interview with jun hwan. Sorry I don't have time to translate it, but maybe someone else can do the honors.
http://sports.news.naver.com/general/news/read.nhn?oid=023&aid=0003220669
He's 174 cm tall according to the info at the end! :eeking: Orser mentioned at the time of the jgp qualifiers that he was 171. Either he grew again(not surprising given his age), or his agency is bumping up his height(also not surprising, lol.). Sure is growing fast. I did hear about how the average height for Korean boys is rapidly increasing though.
Anyways, he's very well spoken. The article title is one of his answers in the interview: "'I'm the male kim yuna? I'll get in trouble with yuna [noona].'" :biggrin:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
A great interview with jun hwan. Sorry I don't have time to translate it, but maybe someone else can do the honors.
He's 174 cm tall according to the info at the end! :eeking: Orser mentioned at the time of the jgp qualifiers that he was 171. Either he grew again(not surprising given his age), or his agency is bumping up his height(also not surprising, lol.). Sure is growing fast. I did hear about how the average height for Korean boys is rapidly increasing though.
Anyways, he's very well spoken. The article title is one of his answers in the interview: "'I'm the male kim yuna? I'll get in trouble with yuna [noona].'" :biggrin:

ahhh, too cute!! :love::laugh:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker

:eeking: (I hope it wont cause any trouble with jumps... I am a bit worried)

Thanks for all the infos and translations, I am a bit late for the party. Congrets bb Cha :love:
I am just amazed how his performance/presentation has improved since first gp event. Still I am not into his sp very much but I just looooove that LP :luv17: Hopefully he will have proper rest and heals injuries now.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very nice article on Jun-hwan Cha in IFS magazine, Dec. issue entitled "Cha Dazzles in Junior Debut". A few highlights:

Cha not only "waltzed" off with the gold medal at his Junior Grand Prix debut in Yokohama, Japan, he also claimed a small piece of history by earning the highest combined score ever awarded at a junior Grand Prix event. Cha is the youngest man to have claimed this record under the current judging system.

"I think what I liked most was that I skated well. That is more important to me than the score. I was excited about breaking the World record."

Cha enjoyed his experience of March 2015 working with Brian Orser at the Cricket Club and decided to make the city his full-time training base. He is working on trying to get clean programs at all competitions and working on landing clean quads and Axels. He also needs to work on his expression so he has better presentation skills.

He will move to senior level next season and his goal is to go to the 2018 Olympics which will take place in his homeland...He spoke some English before going to Canada but is now fluent enough to hold a conversation. His off-ice time is spent at the gym and studying.

He has no skating idols, despite the fact that he trains with the top two men in the world. "I don't have particular skaters that I like. I like many because they all have different things that I can learn from them. I feel like I learn from Yuzu and Javi. When I am training with them and sometimes have a bad day, I watch them and it makes me work harder. I feel fortunate to train with the best skaters in the world."

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I read it somewhere that he likes Daisuke Takahashi and E. Plushenko, it is not the case now?

I checked again and this article did not mention Uncle Dai or Plushy. Possibly he is referring only to skaters who are currently competing? (just guessing)

LeeJiHye19

Final Flight
I checked again and this article did not mention Uncle Dai or Plushy. Possibly he is referring only to skaters who are currently competing? (just guessing)

I see! But I am not saying this article mentioned Dai or Plushy. It just in other bio of him (probably wiki or ISU Bio? I guess) it was written there that he likes them.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I see! But I am not saying this article mentioned Dai or Plushy. It just in other bio of him (probably wiki or ISU Bio? I guess) it was written there that he likes them.

Here he mentions his favorite skaters:

The club also happened to be the training base of his favorite skaters. “My favorite skaters are Yuna Kim and Yuzu.” The 14-year-old finds the training environment in the Club, where world champions Yuzuru Hanyu and Javier Fernandez also train, very inspiring: “they are the top skaters of the world. When I skate with them, I find my jumps are very different from theirs. I want to learn from them and do much better.”