Junhwan Cha | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Junhwan Cha

s_parks

Record Breaker
JunHwan did walley+counter+3turn+3F-lo-3S all transition into jump combo are on one left leg only, crazy!
love the little catch-foot spiral and ina bauer:love: I definitely see Team BO trademark polish in JunHwan's skating here.

Team BO made me :rofl:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I loVE jUNhwan's loop jump landing, never saw a skater land a jump like that, using a 4th ballet arm position. must GIF.
EDIT: OH, i just remembered that, Yuna has done it in her gershwin spread eagle + 2a+3t jump landing, she used position 4 ballet arm on the landing then + back cross roll !!! Yuna's 2A+3T!!!.
Speaking of jump landing position, I think Yuna has done beside this variation, her 2A landing in sheherazade is a arabesque variation, and her 3F landing in SITC is another variation.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I hope skate korea could have some vintage view fancams or broadcast, could watch his posture and upper body clearer.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i liked ChSq part (since he is competing as senior he needed it right? ) and music addition doesnt sound jarring, fits quite well, 3A looked UR to me though :biggrin: anyway, good luck Jun!!! :cheer:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Looking at him I always have Déjà vu as If I am watching junior Hanyu :shocked:
great Chsq :agree:

s_parks

Record Breaker
I have to say I don't understand the Hanyu comparisons. They're both Asian and cute and have the it-factor oozing from their pores, but that's about it. Yuzuru is/was more wild while Junhwan is more ~refined/controlled for his age. Both lovely skaters, I just don't get how they're actually similar skating-wise.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i kinda agree, when i 1st watched Jun i immediately thought of Yuzuru but now i changed my mind a little, technically they are different but one thing they have in common is they both are very musical and expressive , they feel the music and they make you feel it too

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
i kinda agree, when i 1st watched Jun i immediately thought of Yuzuru but now i changed my mind a little, technically they are different but one thing they have in common is they both are very musical and expressive , they feel the music and they make you feel it too

That is what I meant matmuh, technically they are absolutely different, but they have great musicality and expressiveness. Plus physically. When you doesn't observe details and just open and watch a video of Cha, you immediately remember Hanyu at his age , not only me some of my friends said the same actually.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
That is what I meant matmuh, technically they are absolutely different, but they have great musicality and expressiveness. Plus physically. When you doesn't observe details and just open and watch a video of Cha, you immediately remember Hanyu at his age , not only me some of my friends said the same actually.

I immediately thought of Yuzuru once I clicked that link. I was like OMG he looks like Yuzuru (especially physically). Also, there are movements that reminds me of Yuzuru as well. such as this one https://youtu.be/3BFGwKx61bs?t=180:biggrin:
I also agree with others here, in details/nuances, Junhan has his own character which is different from Yuzuru.

umeko_yur1tasukee

On the Ice
Yes, many will see their similarity in appearance. Even in some movements :) They even have the same coach, so I wouldnt be surprise if in the future, someone will thought that they are twins

Bumdid

Record Breaker
Hopefully, CJH is also blessed with Yuzuru's unholy jumping ability :hap10:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
http://live.sports.media.daum.net/video/general/173327/173353
Junhwan's short!
I find it really weird that he rotates his 3A now but still URs the 3t on his combo. :unsure: Hopefully he'll get that fixed soon. Tbh I'm glad Korea is relatively strict in judging.

that surprises me as well :laugh: but other than that his performance was really good ( although i wish he didnt change back to his old SP :biggrin: ):clapper: what do you think his chances are for becoming National Champion? on paper Jin Seo is likely to get it but anything can happen :think:

s_parks

Record Breaker
that surprises me as well :laugh: but other than that his performance was really good ( although i wish he didnt change back to his old SP :biggrin: ):clapper: what do you think his chances are for becoming National Champion? on paper Jin Seo is likely to get it but anything can happen :think:

Jinseo and Junehyung can't afford mistakes particularly in the long. Junhwan is very consistent and he has the potential now to overtake both if they're not clean, since he's now rotating 3As.

MIM

Medalist

I found a high quality fan cam!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Pzo5Src6E

Wow! the 3A was the cleanest he has done. Congrats!
Even though he did really well, he kinda outgrows this program like his shirt. It was a statement program of him last season, but now.. he seems bored, of course IMO. Also, the mood of the music overlaps with the Lp.
To some extent, I would like to see him skate to his new SP. Well... maybe at the gala?

Good job Jun Hwan! I am excited for his LP! He will be amazing!

Bumdid

Record Breaker
His movement are getting sharper and sharper! Seriously so much potential in this kid. Hopefully as he grow older, he'll have more strength to rotate his jumps. The only thing that could be improve on is the fact that he tends to drop his posture slightly a few seconds before the big jumps (Combo, axel) and it somewhat distracting. But the transition to the solo jump pass is kinda amazing :love:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Is Orser now his coach?

Wikipedia says so...

He's definitely at TCC, Orser mentioned him in the CoC interview in context of the 2022 Olympics, something like "I'm hoping to come with this really talented skater, Jun Hwan Cha from Korea" and apparently Korean fans weren't too happy about it because of Yuna. Whether he personally coaches him, I don't know.

I must say that when I saw him at Canada Autumn Classic, my first thought was "so this is who will the void in my figure skating world once Yuzuru retires" :love: I do see similarities.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
If Orser is indeed coach, Jun Hwan Cha just increased his chances at the podium in the future.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
If Orser is indeed coach, Jun Hwan Cha just increased his chances at the podium in the future.

He's definitely coached by Brian Orser. At his Autumn Classic skates last October, you can see Brian waiting for him at the boards (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x39jsug_jun-hwan-cha-kor_sport, 3:17 (SP), http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x39obc3_jun-hwan-cha-kor-free-program_sport, 3:41)).

Sylvia of FSU also lists Brian and Ghislaine Briand (also has a "Brian" in his name :biggrin:) as his coaches. (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...-strive-toward-2018.93581/page-3#post-4605647)

He has Yuzuru's musicality, better posture than Yuzuru when the latter was at that age (I have read that unlike Yuzuru, he had early ballet training). When he grows older and stronger, I think his jumps will only get better. And yes, I agree that having Brian as coach will serve him well, not to mention having Javier, Yuzuru, and Nam as training mates.

Last edited: