Junhwan Cha | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Junhwan Cha

MIM

Medalist
Wonderful!!
I love his Black Swan!!! Such a sophisticated and polished expression!! It gets even better with much improved basic skating skills!!:love: Great work!! Team BO really makes him a better skater. Love it!

Suze

Rinkside
I see such great improvement in his skating since last year. I'm happy he won first place here but the road ahead is littered with many uphill battles. He's going to have to consistently land on the podium at int'l competitions in order to build a good reputation with the judges (similar to yuna during her Junior years). I'm happy he's being coached by Team Orser so perhaps that will help his confidence and packaging. YAY go baby cha (well, baby no longer but he's still so adorable)!

Last edited:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Um, wow, junhwan! Congrats. I predicted he'd beat the older skaters soon, but not here! That was amazing. Really curious to see how he places at jr. worlds. And good luck at nationals, youth olympics!
fs: http://live.sports.media.daum.net/video/general/173716/173754

Thanks for the link. His arm movement is just exquisite. He reminds me of Tatsuki Machida in terms of artistic expression even if I can see that at his young age he is already developing his own style.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
LP practice, he had a pretty bad fall at his 2nd attempt of 3A, i hope he is okay (once again thanks Hailey for updates! )
do you guys know if he is actually attempting 2 3A or he was trying to make up for 1st 3A that he popped :think:

s_parks

Record Breaker
LP practice, he had a pretty bad fall at his 2nd attempt of 3A, i hope he is okay (once again thanks Hailey for updates! )
do you guys know if he is actually attempting 2 3A or he was trying to make up for 1st 3A that he popped :think:

He's done 2 3A attempts before, but recently he's done only one 3A(SC autumn classic, ranking comp). Not sure he'll bring back the 2nd 3A for nationals, I think he'll keep doing just 1 until it's more consistent.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
He's done 2 3A attempts before, but recently he's done only one 3A(SC autumn classic, ranking comp). Not sure he'll bring back the 2nd 3A for nationals, I think he'll keep doing just 1 until it's more consistent.

I hope he doesnt attempt 2 if its not consistent and hope that he was just treating practice as actual competition and trying to make up for popped 3A, i dont think i can take seeing him so upset like he was at jgp selection competition :(

s_parks

Record Breaker
I can't believe he was able to skate like that with tinnitus and new boots. I'm always amazed at jun hwan's strong mentality. So glad he got the spot for jr. worlds! Hope he recovers well.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
apart from 3A he did really good today (and he actually landed great one at warm up :sad21:) and 4th place after the SP!!!! and has highest PCS after the big guns! gives me hope that he will have decent PCS at JW and will be at top10 at least :luv17: :yahoo: good luck for LP Jun :cheer:
there is no good quality video of the performance yet but here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rymoiqf-NRk (thanks to Hailey :thank:)

Last edited:

gourry

Final Flight
apart from 3A he did really good today (and he actually landed great one at warm up :sad21:) and 4th place after the SP!!!! and has highest PCS after the big guns! gives me hope that he will have decent PCS at JW and will be at top10 at least :luv17: :yahoo: good luck for LP Jun :cheer:
there is no good quality video of the performance yet but here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rymoiqf-NRk (thanks to Hailey :thank:)

lol This video. Hearts keep bubbling up and chatting on the same screen. Weirdly I'm loving it! lol

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Thanks for all the links to Jun Hwan's SP in the YOG. I had Yuna déjà vus because of the music, the Yuna camel, and seeing a childhood coach of Yuna with whom she later reunited in her comeback at the boards (now wondering whether Jun Hwan's training in the TCCC is still ongoing).

For all that, I think Jun Hwan put his personal stamp on the program with his musicality and an artistry beyond his years. His early ballet training was also evident. Wishing him well in the free. :)

Plumededragon

Medalist
http://blog.naver.com/vinorider/220626317563

a Korean blog post that has a good quality fancam of his SP and his practice
Thanks for the link! :) The kid is clearly improving. I'm looking foward to seeing him in the Junior circuit (next season I guess).

Thanks for all the links to Jun Hwan's SP in the YOG. I had Yuna déjà vus because of the music, the Yuna camel, and seeing a childhood coach of Yuna with whom she later reunited in her comeback at the boards (now wondering whether Jun Hwan's training in the TCCC is still ongoing).

For all that, I think Jun Hwan put his personal stamp on the program with his musicality and an artistry beyond his years. His early ballet training was also evident. Wishing him well in the free. :)
He's still training at TCC, but his training time is split between his two coaches (including Orser). I hope he makes a top 5 finish, that would be great experience for this little guy. :)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
He's still training at TCC, but his training time is split between his two coaches (including Orser). I hope he makes a top 5 finish, that would be great experience for this little guy. :)

Thanks for the info. :) It appears to be an unorthodox arrangement, but I hope it works out well for Jun Hwan.

To quote Johnny W., Brian has quite a stable of skaters, including Jun Hwan and Stephen Gogolev who are yet to move to the Junior Circuit.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Congrats on a very solid performance! I know he wasn't clean, but considering he had tinnitus just a month ago(wonder if he has lingering symptoms...), it must have been hard to practice. Very good scores considering there were mistakes, and that he's never been up against competition near this level. Just stay healthy, Junhwan!

andyjo24

Medalist
It appears, from his protocols, that he needs to work on his 3A and 3Lz edge.

I trust that he will work hard to rectify those issues! :thumbsup:

Overall, a solid showing from JH, especially considering it's his first big international competition. His PCS is very close to the top guns already! The international judges do like him! :agree:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
yeeesss!!! he did so good, too bad about pop (and other little mistakes that cost him like 7-8 points? :confused:) but he was awesome!! (as far as i could see from the stream :palmf: i know i should be grateful and i am! but i was kinda pissed when the guy stood in front of camera and did other stuff during Jun's performance :slink:)
and i didnt expect his PCS to be that high, gives me hope that he will be at top 10 at JW if he is clean (even higher if others make mistakes which is always a possibility) :yahoo::hap57:

Plumededragon

Medalist
A 5th place finish is, indeed, very good. Congrats to this kid! I hope videos will be available soon, I want to see the final group performance. :)