Junhwan Cha | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Junhwan Cha

andyjo24

Medalist
Choreographer in "the near future"? At 14? :rofl:

I admit I didn't really understand the hype for awhile, but now that he's been with Brian awhile & after seeing him at the Youth Olympics & Junior Worlds, I'm impressed. But I hope he develops his own style rather than just being Hanyu 2.0.

I agree that I want him to be Jun Hwan 1.0, not Hanyu 2.0. Although the two of them share many similar traits, I think Jun Hwan is more balletic than Hanyu actually.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Choreographer in "the near future"? At 14? :rofl:

I admit I didn't really understand the hype for awhile, but now that he's been with Brian awhile & after seeing him at the Youth Olympics & Junior Worlds, I'm impressed. But I hope he develops his own style rather than just being Hanyu 2.0.

Where did you get "near" from?

liv

Record Breaker
I admit that junior worlds is where I became a fan. I had seen stuff on youtube but wasnt sold. He is still learning technical things, of course, but his innate musical sense and movement are impressive. At just 14 you never know what will happen but he has the "it" factor.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
I LOVE his spins. In my opinion the best at junior worlds. I've seen his swan lake many times. He and Hiwatashi are my new discoveries.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
The kid needs to work on his posture and jumps. But he has the charms and the star quality that SK is sorely missing. To whoever is managing him, they need to start pushing him to CF deals and to variety shows and etc.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Bumdid

Record Breaker
In addition to the musicality that everyone has mentioned, I like how cool-headed he seemed in competition (at least, from what we have seen so far). It'll bode him well in the future. :agree:

Skye

On the Ice
To whoever is managing him, they need to start pushing him to CF deals and to variety shows and etc.

Pardon my ignorance, but are commercials and tv shows a norm for teenage figure skaters in South Korea? Granted he has potential for star quality, but even in a sport where athletes retire in their mid 20s, Cha is still very young and has just started making substantial accomplishments.
I believe Cha has a good chance to make it to PyeongChang in 2018 and if he does he should get a bunch of media attention and endorsements with the Olympics at home. In my opinion his team has done a pretty smart job nurturing his talents so far, and I would prefer to see him develop into a mature skater rather than a premature media darling.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Pardon my ignorance, but are commercials and tv shows a norm for teenage figure skaters in South Korea? Granted he has potential for star quality, but even in a sport where athletes retire in their mid 20s, Cha is still very young and has just started making substantial accomplishments.
I believe Cha has a good chance to make it to PyeongChang in 2018 and if he does he should get a bunch of media attention and endorsements with the Olympics at home. In my opinion his team has done a pretty smart job nurturing his talents so far, and I would prefer to see him develop into a mature skater rather than a premature media darling.

I think Cha used to be a child actor in Korea. I saw a clip of him in a TV show...

Skye

On the Ice
I think Cha used to be a child actor in Korea. I saw a clip of him in a TV show...

Well, if the report that he wants to become a choreographer in the future is anything to go by, I assume he’s more interested in establishing himself as a competitive skater than getting cast in tv shows. My point still stands.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Well, if the report that he wants to become a choreographer in the future is anything to go by, I assume he’s more interested in establishing himself as a competitive skater than getting cast in tv shows. My point still stands.

I wish he didn't do tv shows as well. But given KSU barely supports their skaters........it's probably his best bet to earn some money to support his training. His agency, galaxy sm, was originally known as IB sports, the one Yuna had some legal battles with. Their main goal is to make a sports "star" so even if Cha doesnt need money, his agency might push him to do such commercials and shows.

gourry

Final Flight

He starred in Yuna's "Kiss and Cry" TV show. Maybe in 2011? He did ice dancing with a female actress who was just a bit older than him. They were sooooo cute like a couple of puppies. :luv17: Unfortunately she was a complete beginner as a skater and of course they struggled a lot and finished last I think. And he kind of complained, saying that he'd been always first in competitions. And I chuckled and thought 'but honey, how many male skaters are there in Korea? It's not that difficult to be first when there are only couple of competitors.'
Now it seems he really was very good then and is very good now. :)

Last edited:

randomfan

Record Breaker
He starred in Yuna's "Kiss and Cry" TV show. Maybe in 2011? He did ice dancing with a female actress who was just a bit older than him. They were sooooo cute like a couple of puppies. :luv17: Unfortunately she was a complete beginner as a skater and of course they struggled a lot and finished last I think. And he kind of complained, saying that he'd been always first in competitions. And I chuckled and thought 'but honey, how many male skaters are there in Korea? It's not that difficult to be first when there are only couple of competitors.'
Now it seems he really was very good then and is very good now. :)

Actually he finished in 3rd last place. ;) Two teams were eliminated before. Fun fact: He landed a lot of 2As in that show.

I really hope Jun Hwan makes the JGP final next season. He's just so talented and deserves a trip there! :clap:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I saw him at Junior Worlds a month ago, and he was fantastic. I love how he attacks on the ice, his speed and musicality is also very, very good for his age. He definitely has the potencial to be a superb skater. I wish him all the best, I think he is at the best place under Orser's wings.

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside

I've heard that he was a model previously.
Now the following is a very generic observation and not necessarily specific to Cha.
It's quite common in Asian countries celebrities are found acting, singing (upwards of 3 albums or more a year!), dancing, advertising, etc.
If you're not in the consumer's face (per se), you are 'easily forgotten'. Before American Idol, etc.. Many Asian countries had/have 'Star Search' type shows since the 80's and before. Some TV stations do/did (?) run acting classes, etc. and hand-pick the stars out of these classes.

s_parks

Record Breaker
This is an older news clip, when he won the ranking comp, but i don't think it was mentioned. It has footage of him practicing a quad [sal] at 1:06. I saw a gif of a harness attempt on his tumblr fan page, but i think this clip shows a few more(including an attempt without a harness). He mentioned that he had practiced/attempted it daily. He said here he hoped to put it in the program next year(meaning this coming season, since it was from dec. 2015). I'm anticipating the progress he's made so far! And hoping he doesn't have flip or lutz edge problems, lol.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
This is an older news clip, when he won the ranking comp, but i don't think it was mentioned. It has footage of him practicing a quad [sal] at 1:06. I saw a gif of a harness attempt on his tumblr fan page, but i think this clip shows a few more(including an attempt without a harness). He mentioned that he had practiced/attempted it daily. He said here he hoped to put it in the program next year(meaning this coming season, since it was from dec. 2015). I'm anticipating the progress he's made so far! And hoping he doesn't have flip or lutz edge problems, lol.

Thank you for the infos!!!