Junhwan Cha | Page 71 | Golden Skate

Junhwan Cha

Amef

Final Flight
Are there cases where boot problems caused early retirement for figure skaters because they could never fix the boot problem?

Anyone know examples of figure skaters that retired due to boot problems?

I'm relatively new so I need answers please.

malya

On the Ice
Oh Jun has ankles problems?
Let's put him in constant competition and let him jump quads that he chronicly underrotates (maybe even because of the ankle problems?)
Every UR jump landing is very good for the ankles and will help his injury!

He is not even an adult.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Are there cases where boot problems caused early retirement for figure skaters because they could never fix the boot problem?

Anyone know examples of figure skaters that retired due to boot problems?

I'm relatively new so I need answers please.

Kevin Reynolds missed a season or two due to boot problems. His were resolved by the break from skating plus hip surgery.

seabm7

Final Flight
Why is he competing so much? It must be so exhausting.

To fill up his college entrance portfolio. The quota for elite athletes (i.e., oversea training allowed during semesters) is limited in Korea. I heard he's competing with two Olympic medalists at his age group.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16w-Msdonk4

... What do you call this weird mix of pride, frustration, and heartbreak... Oh darling, I love your determination but I want you to be healthy and happy foremost, when you just laugh off your condition I just can't...

I can translate if needed.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I'll be honest, Korea's obsession with college is frustrating. Like, 80% graduate with a college degree, how is that helpful???no wonder people can't find jobs. they're all going for the same cookie cutter jobs, all with the same degrees And moreso, why do all these elite athletes need to go to college, seriously speaking? urghhh.

Imov

Medalist
I don't mind him going for a college education if its part of his plans.
I just wish the system won't be so harsh on people who want to have access to education.
The system should be building dreams not tearing them down.
So keep on being brave Jun, I saw in an interview that he has made up his mind to stuff up his college portfolio.
And I admire him that despite the difficulty and disadvantage he is taking it head on.

seabm7

Final Flight
I'll be honest, Korea's obsession with college is frustrating. Like, 80% graduate with a college degree, how is that helpful???no wonder people can't find jobs. they're all going for the same cookie cutter jobs, all with the same degrees And moreso, why do all these elite athletes need to go to college, seriously speaking? urghhh.

If Jun does not go to college, he will be called into the army. Unfortunately, the Korean army sports unit does not offer figure skating, i.e., the end of his skating career.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
If Jun does not go to college, he will be called into the army. Unfortunately, the Korean army sports unit does not offer figure skating, i.e., the end of his skating career.

everyone in Korea is required to join the army? I mean, every male? If they are not in college they’re obligated to go be in the army? For how long?
Asking out of curiosity, I didn’t know there was such a system in Korea.

s_parks

Record Breaker

Really? I thought regardless of college, you had to go unless you won an asian games gold or olympic medal. I know people often go to the army in the middle of college. And anyways, by the time he can't delay it anymore(30 I think), wouldn't he be at the age to quit competitive skating anyways?

Imov

Medalist
Korean males if they go into college can delay their enlistment until 25~28 years old from what I know.
Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
I am just speaking in reference to workmate. He went to college and worked outside of korea, but since he is nearing 28 the government is calling him to do active service.
If not he can be sent to jail.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Someone more knowledgeable could correct me, but I believe that in the past year or two, the Korean government has been cracking down on enlistment deferrals and “soft” civil service assignments, and apparently per others ice skating isn’t part of the army’s sports program, so it’s probably a real risk Jun wouldn’t be able to avoid service interfering with his skating career if he doesn’t go to college.

tenna

Spectator
I searched online now here is result.
Every korean male has to do army service, and if one doesn't have reason to delay it (like college education) then the call starts at age 20. In Jun's case it will be 2021. Maybe Jun will take army physical test for enlistment next year (2020) so it's not that far. Well ofcourse there are some reasons to delay enlistment other than college but it's only for 2-3yrs. So I think he needs college anyway.
If there is something wrong please correct me.

Wrenne

Rinkside
I don't know much about this at all but how will army service impact on him and the Olympics in 2022?

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Someone more knowledgeable could correct me, but I believe that in the past year or two, the Korean government has been cracking down on enlistment deferrals and “soft” civil service assignments, and apparently per others ice skating isn’t part of the army’s sports program, so it’s probably a real risk Jun wouldn’t be able to avoid service interfering with his skating career if he doesn’t go to college.

:scratch2:
On the wiki it says gold medal in asian games or olympic games will qualify for exemption. It would be silly if they didn't give Jun Hwan exemption especially if he medals at the Olympics.

The next Asian Winter Games will be in 2021.