GP Predictions Rd 4: Trophee Eric Bompard | Page 15 | Golden Skate

GP Predictions Rd 4: Trophee Eric Bompard

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
The point of the thread was to get votes and feedback. The thread disappeared because the voting ended (i.e. we didn't want more people to vote after the deadline), but that doesn't mean I didn't see everyone's feedback or votes.

I will post what we decide in THIS thread, but I put the voting thread on the Edge in hopes that more people would see it (which seems to be the case).
Thanks for the answer - so the decision isn't made yet? I just thought it was because the thread disappeared.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
The point of the thread was to get votes and feedback. The thread disappeared because the voting ended (i.e. we didn't want more people to vote after the deadline), but that doesn't mean I didn't see everyone's feedback or votes.

I will post what we decide in THIS thread, but I put the voting thread on the Edge in hopes that more people would see it (which seems to be the case).
I suggest the decision be made before the GP final...!

The scorers are also players. The only difference between them and other players is, they (kindly!) volunteered their time and effort. Yet, they hold a priviledged position, whereby their opinions count for more than the rest of us in making the TEB scoring decision.

It's possible that the TEB decision could change the standings, and if it is made after the GP final... there is an opportunity for scorers to choose whichever decision works in their favour, regarding final standings.

Personally, I have faith in the scorers and trust they wouldn't be so petty... and I'm only pointing this out (as ever) as a matter of principle... but isn't it better to ensure there can be no doubt about their integrity - by simply making the TEB decision before the GP final?

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I suggest the decision be made before the GP final...!

The scorers are also players. The only difference between them and other players is, they (kindly!) volunteered their time and effort. Yet, they hold a priviledged position, whereby their opinions count for more than the rest of us in making the TEB scoring decision.

It's possible that the TEB decision could change the standings, and if it is made after the GP final... there is an opportunity for scorers to choose whichever decision works in their favour, regarding final standings.

Personally, I have faith in the scorers and trust they wouldn't be so petty... and I'm only pointing this out (as ever) as a matter of principle... but isn't it better to ensure there can be no doubt about their integrity - by simply making the TEB decision before the GP final?

It's not as simple as you think. All the scorers, like everyone else, have lives outside this forum that include jobs and other activities. So while I"m trying to get a decision as fast as I can, I do not have the luxury like the ISU to call a meeting in some far off locale to hash all this out.

To be honest, I'm growing tired at the resentment being thrown at the organizers over this. I have tried my best to hear everyone's opinion and I could have stuck to the original vote but because there was complaints about transparency, I tried to make the process transparent and did a revote to ensure that everyone had their say. I get that you think it's as simple as going with the ISU decision, but obviously given the vote, not everyone feels that way.

I hope that whatever decision we do make that all would respect that it was not taken lightly and given after a LOT of consideration.

ETA: I apologize for the crankiness. But this is all happening with a whole lot going on in my life outside of Golden Skate and I'm doing the best I can to get stuff done.

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
It's not as simple as you think. All the scorers, like everyone else, have lives outside this forum that include jobs and other activities. So while I"m trying to get a decision as fast as I can, I do not have the luxury like the ISU to call a meeting in some far off locale to hash all this out.

To be honest, I'm growing tired at the resentment being thrown at the organizers over this. I have tried my best to hear everyone's opinion and I could have stuck to the original vote but because there was complaints about transparency, I tried to make the process transparent and did a revote to ensure that everyone had their say. I get that you think it's as simple as going with the ISU decision, but obviously given the vote, not everyone feels that way.

I hope that whatever decision we do make that all would respect that it was not taken lightly and given after a LOT of consideration.

ETA: I apologize for the crankiness. But this is all happening with a whole lot going on in my life outside of Golden Skate and I'm doing the best I can to get stuff done.

Please, take these beautiful flowers for all you've done for this game ---------> :thank::thank::thank: I'm happy I'm helping you with it.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker

I have no resentment towards anybody over this, especially not the scorers.
The intent of my suggestion was to protect the scorers! And I apologise if it seemed any other way.

Yes, I did my best to influence the decision according to what I personally think is right, but I purposely did not dredge any of that up in my last post - and I did not mean to imply that the decision is quick or easy for you or the team. Again, I apologise if that's how it sounded.

Real life comes first, of course!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Nothing about TEB, including calculating the results for how our own little friendly competition would be scored, has been anything less than difficult. But it's not like "figure skating" and "controversy" are total strangers, right? So why should we be any different?

But...GOOD NEWS! Just before Snow skedaddled off to Barcelona to make a much-envied PERSONAL APPEARANCE at the GPF (much to the delight of his adoring fans! :)), he posted the dance results. And like a really nice surprise...EVERY SINGLE PARTICIPANT IS A MEDAL WINNER!!!! That's right. Every single person who participated came in either first, second, or third place. And since I know you KIND and GENEROUS souls would not want either Snow to miss his flight to Espana or your scorer for the GPF to develop carpal tunnel syndrome right before the climax of our own big event, I am going to let you check out the scores for yourself rather than type out bazillions of your fabulous screen names here. Gold, silver, bronze...y'all won ONE of them.

So, isn't that a nice piece of GOOD NEWS and at least a bit of a HAPPY ENDING FOR ALL?

:hap57:

Congratulations everyone! And best of luck for the final!

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay, so WeakAnkles provided a sneak preview. :)

Here's the deal, Predictions Game friends. The voting to count and/or not count the results on the SP at TEB was so tight between both competitors and the organizing team that ultimately I ( did not vote in either the scorer's vote or the straw vote) had to make a decision.

So I decided on an alternative that I think is in the spirit of fairness and provides grace in a very unusual circumstance: If a skater/pair in your top 5 predictions ended up in the top 5 after the SP, you earned 5 points. The maximum score was 25 points. Some players made it out slightly better than others, but for the most part this was not a deal-breaking round.

Apologies for the length of time it took to get to this point, but I can assure you it was a tough decision and I feel at least with this, you all get credit for playing and some of you got a bit of boost for unpredictable predictions.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just came into the TEB sub-forum for the first time since the weekend of the competition, purely because I saw Mrs. P had posted in the Predictions thread, and thought "does that mean we have a decision?"

Wow! I didn't realise that there was so much activity in here over the past couple of weeks. Or that things were getting so heated! :drama:

Given how close every conceivable vote was, I believe Mrs. P made the right decision to have the final say herself.

Sometimes, to get something decided, you need to be a dictator. People mightn't like it, but it is the only sure-fire way of getting it done and dusted.

I've done it myself in my Predictions Games. In the past, when I have been planning the Nationals game, I have provided a list of candidate countries, and asked for opinions on which we should include or not. And every year, the opinions varied so much that I ended up just going with my own preference.

So, this year, I didn't bother asking. I just went straight to going with my own preference. But, to make up for it, I also added a few extra "Just for fun" rounds for other Championships that people wanted to predict on.

And it seems that this "carrot and stick" approach has worked.

This situation with the TEB is rather different. But, in the end, a decision had to be made. It may not be the perfect solution, and it will not please everybody (or even anybody), but at least it is a solution.

Let's face it, when you have a day job and a baby to look after, you don't need this sort of thing dragging on.

So, well done to Mrs. P for making the decision. :cheer: :clap: :points:

Hopefully your "carrot and stick" will work as well. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Okay, so WeakAnkles provided a sneak preview. :)

Here's the deal, Predictions Game friends. The voting to count and/or not count the results on the SP at TEB was so tight between both competitors and the organizing team that ultimately I ( did not vote in either the scorer's vote or the straw vote) had to make a decision.

So I decided on an alternative that I think is in the spirit of fairness and provides grace in a very unusual circumstance: If a skater/pair in your top 5 predictions ended up in the top 5 after the SP, you earned 5 points. The maximum score was 25 points. Some players made it out slightly better than others, but for the most part this was not a deal-breaking round.

Apologies for the length of time it took to get to this point, but I can assure you it was a tough decision and I feel at least with this, you all get credit for playing and some of you got a bit of boost for unpredictable predictions.
You should become a politician! To make a decision that will have virtually no effect is a talent. ;) (And if this probably sounds sarcastic, it's not meant sarcastic.)