2015 Trophée Bompard Ice Dance SD | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2015 Trophée Bompard Ice Dance SD

slider11

Medalist
Although not the biggest fan, Hubbell and Donahue deserve the SD win. With the Paris tragedy, it is unfortunate that there will be no FDs, but, of course understandable. I am still a big fan of Gilles and Poirier and was hopeful for their success. I wonder if Hubbell and Donahue could maintain that quality level in a FD. We'll have to wait and see.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
H/D - beautiful costuming, gorgeous skate. Have always thought they had great potential. I like G&P too and look forward to their program evolving.

auser

Record Breaker
Umm, pretty sure it was Leonard Cohen who originally did "Hallelujah" and he's Canadian (from Montreal). Really wish they used his version.
His version of "Hallelujah" is one of the few songs with vocals that makes me glad they included music with vocals into isu competitions:agree: And I am a fan of KD Lang, just prefer Cohen's hauntingly beautiful version. I really did enjoy H/D Hallelujah SD at TEB.

Last edited:

auser

Record Breaker
Impressive improvement for H & D since their early events this season, this was one of their best SD performances ever.
Is interesting how the skaters know how well they do, while they skate. They had a joyful moment of celebration on the ice, embracing while soak it all in. It was lovely altogether.

Good to see you here herios

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Showing H/D on NBC now. Johnny and Tara tried to recuse themselves and encouraged Tanith to take over :laugh:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
G and P must feel horrible be beaten by the third or fourth Americans and they seem to be falling down the list.

I doubt it. It always annoys me--this impression that the number ones, twos, and threes from Canada should somehow line up with the rankings of the U.S. teams. The American teams right now are much closer to each other than the Canadian teams are to one another. Hubbell & Donahue and Gilles & Poirier have been rivals ever since Gilles & Donahue split and formed the current teams. Hubbell & Donahue have always had more speed and strength within their skating. They defeated G&P at Four Continents two years ago as well as during the SD at Skate Canada last season. The result that does not fit the trend was H&D's low ranking at last year's World Championships. IMO, H&D had a poorly selected FD last season that cost them over and over again. I don't know that their FD this season is the best they can manage either; but it is great to see the judges recognizing the strength of this short dance. And this rivalry is clearly not finished.

Sorry I missed this. What did Tanith have to say?

Nothing much. But they all loved Hubbell and Donohue's performance and thought they were greatly improved from last year. Me, too! :love: I think they will give C&B and S&S a run for their money at U.S. Nationals.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I doubt it. It always annoys me--this impression that the number ones, twos, and threes from Canada should somehow line up with the rankings of the U.S. teams. The American teams right now are much closer to each other than the Canadian teams are to one another. Hubbell & Donahue and Gilles & Poirier have been rivals ever since Gilles & Donahue split and formed the current teams. Hubbell & Donahue have always had more speed and strength within their skating. They defeated G&P at Four Continents two years ago as well as during the SD at Skate Canada last season. The result that does not fit the trend was H&D's low ranking at last year's World Championships. IMO, H&D had a poorly selected FD last season that cost them over and over again. I don't know that their FD this season is the best they can manage either; but it is great to see the judges recognizing the strength of this short dance. And this rivalry is clearly not finished.

Honestly Hubbel/Donohue are head and shoulders higher than Gilles/Poirier. I have no idea how Gilles/Poirier got level 3 for their PSt, because almost every her difficult step/turn looked very questionable. And +2 GOE for THAT is just a crime. The Shibs got level 1 for similar execution at Nepela Trophy. While Hubbel/Donohue were cleaner, skated on deeper edges and got lower marks than Gilles/Poirier. Oh well, they skated last :eek:hwell:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I only glanced at the protocols. H/D won this SD (and, I assume the championship) because they got L4 on a Ravensburger sequence. While the scoring was very, very close, I think G/P edged them on PCS and on GOE for most of the elements.

So, I don't think the judges are clearly decided on which team is better. I like H/D much better, but that's because I liked the emotional vibe to their performance. G/P seemed practically clownish in contrast.

herios

Medalist

I agree that there is much more depth in the USA at the moment than in Canada in ice dance
Also, if a team has a subpar year, and gets stuck or passed, means not much these days, while in the past, it used to be the kiss of death.
Hubbell and Donohue after dealing with injuries thus there was no progress for them did what they needed to do. Moved to another coaching team to try to improve. And that is what they seem to be doing.
For me it is not a big surprise they did well, I was expecting something good will emerge from this new coaching situation. Madi and Zach skated well and clean.