2015 Trophée Bompard Mens SP | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2015 Trophée Bompard Mens SP

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
Before Tanith started getting big-time national assignments, she had experience locally in Michigan and the Detroit area. For instance, she narrated a TV series about quaint little out-of-the-way towns in Michigan where you could go to the cider mill, visit a bee-keeping farm, watch the leaves turn color, etc.

Tanith is working on a journalism degree. Good for her that she is able to combine her skill in sport with new career aspirations! I used to take lessons from Tanith, and she was such a joy to work with!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The more I think about it again, the bigger problem I have with Max's score. 72? He landed the 4-2 with only a hand down, his 3Lz was perfect, and even the 3A was big and airy before he fell. But one fall...one hand down...is seventy-freaking-two?!!??!?!! When skaters with invalid combos and falls scored much higher? Having issues with this.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks for the detailed answer, golden411icecoverage (what a name! :laugh:). It's interesting that Belbin has been advocating the 2016 summer Olympics, but her look could help to draw audience's attention I guess. But her specialty is still in Ice Dance, so ice dance fans would be pleased with the news about Belbin's commentary job at NBC. :)

Tanith is working on a journalism degree. Good for her that she is able to combine her skill in sport with new career aspirations! I used to take lessons from Tanith, and she was such a joy to work with!

My two cents are that I think at this point, Tanith's fans would do her a favor not to think of her first (in terms of her broadcast work) as an ice dance commentator.
She obviously has aspirations -- and already has had success :) -- in broadcasting that are unrelated to figure skating.
(I hadn't known that she is getting a journalism degree. Good for her.)

Not sure whether everyone saw the NBC TEB broadcast, but I will note that Tanith's primary role on it was not to give ice dance commentary.

Instead, Tanith was there to fill the shoes of Terry Gannon, who was absent from this particular broadcast.
NBC showed only one SD (Hubbell/Donohue), and it was a bit awkward that for the SD, Tara (with good intentions) said something like (I'm paraphrasing), "Of course, now Johnny and I would rather hear your commentary, Tanith." But I think Tanith (also with good intentions) was trying to stick to her Gannon role, so she replied, "I want to draw some comments out of you and Johnny."

I am happy for Tanith that NBC Olympics has been giving her opportunities to cover other sports. Also to get experience as an anchor/host/moderator.

NBC used Nastia Liukin as an on-air personality for its Sochi coverage. Nastia was not limited to being a Summer Olympics broadcaster, and Tanith is not being limited to being a Winter Olympics broadcaster. They both are simply Olympics broadcasters.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
The more I think about it again, the bigger problem I have with Max's score. 72? He landed the 4-2 with only a hand down, his 3Lz was perfect, and even the 3A was big and airy before he fell. But one fall...one hand down...is seventy-freaking-two?!!??!?!! When skaters with invalid combos and falls scored much higher? Having issues with this.

I didn't see the program in person, of course, but I saw it on the television. Nothing was there...

Rissa

Record Breaker
I didn't see the program in person, of course, but I saw it on the television. Nothing was there...

I agree, there was just no saving grace, Max's PCS took a bigger nosedive than a few others who can save themselves with skating skills or choreo. There wasn't much to earn GOE points either.

The only issues in Men's event I have is 2 points PCS too many for Maxim and 2 too few for Shoma.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
IMO Max's lowers score reflected the reality that two of his 3 jumping passes were flawed, and that his overall performance excluding the elements wasn't as good as at SA.

The judges marked him down in PCS vs SA but not globally: his SS and TR were the same as in his SA SP, but his PE was .5 lower and CH and I were both .25 each. For me, that reflects reality.

I also think his TES scores were pretty accurate - he obviously lost the most points on his combo (-3.0 BV &-2.23 in GOE) and 3A (-3 GOE and -1 for fall), but he also lost points on the first spin (-.5 for lower level, -.5 in GOE) and almost a point in GOE between his his SSq and last spin. For me, the -GOE on the combo was not out of line - the 4T itself was great but because of the hand down, the 2T wasn't very good and there was no flow out of it. As to the 3A, he went into it with great speed and got really good height, but his air position wasn't very pretty, he did at least 5 preceding crossovers, and obviously because of the fall he didn't get good flow on his landing nor did he follow it with a difficult transition. As to his 3Z, he got a mix of +1 and +2, and that seems okay to me. He had good height, speed and flow on the landing, but no difficult transitions in/out.

Edited to correct reference from PCS to GOE regarding jumps.

Last edited: