2015 Golden Spin of Zagreb General Info | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2015 Golden Spin of Zagreb General Info

tulosai

Record Breaker
Just a guess but for those who miss GPF it's a chance to build momentum going into Nationals. Seems like as good a reason as any to me.

Also for some skaters (though not the more popular ones generally) it's the final chance to get Euros/4CC/World minimums.

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
Just curious it seems like Golden Spin is the most popular Challenger Event this season. Is there a reason why?

It's the oldest skating competition in the world. This competition has tradition.
Quality skaters trying to perform at their best to prove themselves even after "average" performances and before nationals and of course the last chance for many to get minimums for Euros, 4CC and World.
Last winners among ladies were Kiira Korpi, Kim Yuna, Carolina Kostner, Adelina Sotnikova. Do we need more?

For a spectator : Zagreb is magic during this part of the year. It's possible to visit the beautiful city adorned with lights for the Advent in Zagreb (http://www.adventzagreb.com/index.php/en/) or as a day trip from Zagreb (with public transport too) ,despite the short hours of daylight, the Plitvice Lakes National Park ... without hordes of tourists.

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also for some skaters (though not the more popular ones generally) it's the final chance to get Euros/4CC/World minimums.

Actually its a last chance to get a seasons best score for GP selections for those who will not make it to Euros/4CC/Worls. Minimums they can still earn at non-Challenger Senior Bs (not many left) after January.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is supposed to show up on the "ISU youtube channel"

.I am still looking for a results page...

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
I just LOVE how the top skaters are going for B competitions recently!! It's a win-win situation: win for us in that we get to see their programs once more and a win for them in that they get to get more practice for the big comps.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
The Golden Spin schedule lists RTD Men, RTD Pairs, etc. What are RTD events?

Also, the cost of $12.99 PER DAY for this event makes me appreciate how much skating (plus archives and articles) we get for $50 from Ice Network.

Last edited:

YoenNL

Rinkside
The Golden Spin schedule lists RTD Men, RTD Pairs, etc. What are RTD events?

Also, the cost of $12.99 PER DAY for this event makes me appreciate how much skating (plus archives and articles) we get for $50 from Ice Network.

RTD = Round Table Discussions. It is for Judges after the event has completed.

tulosai

Record Breaker
OMG I can't believe it. It is a bit cheaper in Euros (9.99) but still way more than I'm willing to pay to watch one day of a frankly unimportant B event. If they want to start charging to watch skating, that might be reasonable, but this is not a reasonable price structure at all, especially given how generally unpopular the sport is in most countries right now. I think even half as much would be too much to be honest.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
So I wonder if this will even end up on IceNetwork.

Really the ISU should at least have a clause that if there is footage, they get it and get to post it. Frankly the ISU should require all Senior B and up events are on IceNetwork... but ohh well.

Or maybe they are trying to build an audience via false exclusivity. Like a restaurant that lies and says they are fully booked to get people to want what they perceive they can't have. Maybe they think making figure skating something exclusive to get access to it will make it make it more desirable. Sorta like a "If you have to ask how to watch figure skating, you are good enough to watch" pretentious act. At this point I would not be shocked.

tulosai

Record Breaker
So I wonder if this will even end up on IceNetwork.

Really the ISU should at least have a clause that if there is footage, they get it and get to post it. Frankly the ISU should require all Senior B and up events are on IceNetwork... but ohh well.

Or maybe they are trying to build an audience via false exclusivity. Like a restaurant that lies and says they are fully booked to get people to want what they perceive they can't have. Maybe they think making figure skating something exclusive to get access to it will make it make it more desirable. Sorta like a "If you have to ask how to watch figure skating, you are good enough to watch" pretentious act. At this point I would not be shocked.

I mean, I don't mind if they want to charge for online, exclusive streams. I understand that money is helpful, and depending how the money was used and where it would go, I would actually in general be happy to pay for high quality streaming of events. But I think a realistic price point is something that must be considered. I would have happily paid 10 euro to watch all 3 days of this competition. But to pay 10 Euro for each day, when I can't even watch part of Friday live even if I wanted to? Thanks but no thanks. And honestly too, I am in the very lucky position that I could pay that much if I really wanted to/really thought it was worth it... many people aren't in a position where they can throw away that kind of money on one day of a skating event.

The other crazy thing is that for an all day pass tomorrow, the cost is 20 Croatian 'dollars', to see it live. 20 Croatian dollars is about 2 euro and 60 cents, or 2 US dollars and 75 cents. To see all three days of the event live if you are in Croatia is well less than 10 USD. Yet they think that it's worth more than that for one day of streaming? Just crazy.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2 US dollars and 75 cents

That's the cost of a subway ride in NYC! FWIW, in past years there were some videos of Golden Spin on YT after the fact, especially when Yuna Kim skated in her last Olympic year.

shyne

Final Flight
The other crazy thing is that for an all day pass tomorrow, the cost is 20 Croatian 'dollars', to see it live. 20 Croatian dollars is about 2 euro and 60 cents, or 2 US dollars and 75 cents. To see all three days of the event live if you are in Croatia is well less than 10 USD. Yet they think that it's worth more than that for one day of streaming? Just crazy.

:scratch2:
Don't know what they were thinking~