TEB is Cancelled | Page 39 | Golden Skate

TEB is Cancelled

leafygreens

Final Flight
Really, the only fair method is to arrange for the free skate to take place.

But that's not going to happen, so we have to accept the next best, least unfair option. That would be give all France competitors first place points, and see if they rank above the 6th best skater who was not at GP France. Let all of them who tie or exceed the 6th place skater go to GPF. It would end up only being about 2-3 extra skaters for the final, a manageable number, no hard-to-schedule extra free skates, no visa problems, no loss of money except the competition would be a few hours longer, and it gives all poor performing SP skaters the benefit of the doubt. There was another suggestion to just take the top 6 after the SP, if they're concerned about length of the competition. That makes the most sense.

Last edited:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Pretending that Russia (or any other country) is immune from terrorism = cockiness, IMO.

And assuming that Russia (or any other country) would have permitted the free skates to go forward (if in France's shoes) = more cockiness.
I did not write any of these. I am not going to discuss any of these topics too. I am here for figure skating solely.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I did not write any of these. I am not going to discuss any of these topics too. I am here for figure skating solely.

I was not imagining what you wrote below.

But if you are taking back your previous words, then I thank you.

You guys forget that it is going to take place in Russia. Russia can handle everything in such a way than the competition will take place. ...

desertskates

Medalist
I'm starting to feel that the longer the ISU takes, the higher the chances are that they will come to some really screwy solution that will leave everyone scratching their heads. Le sigh...

qwertyskates

Medalist
I want to add that skaters have different strengths, some are well-suited to the SP but have difficulties (stamina, etc.) with their LP, while other skaters are exactly the opposite. So it isn't unfair to skaters who might redeem their subpar SP with a better LP, but it is unfair to skaters who, for one reason or another, usually perform better under the conditions of the LP than SP, and count on a 2-event competition to leverage on their strength in the LP.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm starting to feel that the longer the ISU takes, the higher the chances are that they will come to some really screwy solution that will leave everyone scratching their heads. Le sigh...

ISU's indecision reflects the abundance of opinions and disagreements in GS. Federations are protecting their stakes.

Fans' debate on a fair selection will continue till the ISU announcement, then the debate on the ISU decision will begin.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
ISU's indecision reflects the abundance of opinions and disagreements in GS. Federations are protecting their stakes.

Fans' debate on a fair selection will continue till the ISU announcement, then the debate on the ISU decision will begin.

Still no announcement on how to deal with the aftermath of the TEB cancellation. Grumble.

chameleon

On the Ice
The World Standings have been updated to reflect TEB, so it seems like they're using the SP results. For instance Shoma got 400 points, so as far as the ISU is concerned he won TEB. I suspect the delay has to do with the ISU trying to expand the fields at GPF but needing to consult the GPF organizers and/or wait for the organizers to figure out how it would all work.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The ISU is run by people. People are not perfect.

I'll just stay being very patient.

You know, some of skaters at TEB will participate in Rostelecom. They have more burdens than their competitors assigned other than TEB. I think the ISU council should announce their decision before the upcoming GP begins.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You know, some of skaters at TEB will participate in Rostelecom. They have more burdens than their competitors assigned other than TEB. I think the ISU council should announce their decision before the upcoming GP begins.

That is true.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Going by ISU's Season's World Ranking, SP standings from TEB are used for points in calculation.

E.g. In Men's, Shoma Uno's GP points are 400 and 360 for 1st (TEB) and 2nd (SA), Patrick Chan is given 400 and 262 for 1st (SC) and 5th (TEB) and Max Aaron 400 and 213, for 1st (SA) and 7th (TEB) place.

So we know the SP finish is final for TEB. ISU may be debating on other issues such as additional skaters for the GPF.

eta. ISU Point Distribution table.. See Section 4.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... So we know the SP finish is final for TEB. ...

Your conclusion is premature, IMO -- as discussed in the other thread. Recap:

The ISU World Standings were updated well over 24 hrs ago.

The only ISU bio that I have seen that has been updated with a TEB placement belongs to Rodighiero, who -- not incidentally -- is competing at Rostelecom this week.

It seems obvious to me (YMMV) that the ISU purposely has not updated many/most bios of TEB skaters.
This intentional delay leaves me unconvinced that the SP finish is "final" for TEB. YMMV.

ETA:

I see now that the bio of Peng/Zhang has been updated as well. Surely it is no coincidence that they too are competing at Rostelecom.

... EDIT:
also Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG bio has been updated, and they will compete in Moscow.
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054273.htm

Last edited:

Carshalton

Rinkside
Interviewed on CBC television today, Chan said he's confident he'll be at the GPF. He mentioned having the support of his federation. Wonder if he knows more than we do at this point (this was before the results out of Moscow). Meanwhile, Carol Lane said "skaters" (presumably including her own, Gillies and Poirier) are still unaware of any resolution.

Last edited:

eta

Medalist
Assuming TEB SP standings are used as final standings (since some ISU bio pages have been updated as such):

Javier FERNANDEZ 30 pts
Shoma UNO 28 pts (TEB)
Patrick CHAN 22 pts (TEB) (1st + 5th)
Daisuke MURAKAMI 22 pts (TEB) (3rd + 3rd)
Han YAN 20 pts
Max AARON 19 pts (TEB)
Adian PITKEEV 18 pts (6th + 2nd)
Adam RIPPON 18 pts (4th + 4th)

Skating at NHK next week:

Yuzuru HANYU 13+? pts
Boyang JIN 13+? pts
Maxim KOVTUN 13+? pts
Grant HOCHSTEIN 9+? pts
(Konstantin MENSHOV 7+? pts)

So, if there are no ties at NHK (is it even possible to have ties?), there is no way for the four potential finalists to all have more than 22 points, plus CHAN wins 22-pt tiebreakers with his 1st in SC, he will quality for GPF even if it takes the top six as usual.

Or so I think?

Last edited:

auser

Record Breaker
yep to everyone totally.

ugh dont even remind me of those:palmf: I cant believe someone finds these kinda things funny But we're the villains. Maybe its OK to mock our grief.

anyway Im pretty sad for all the french. Im with you guys. My childhood friend lives in Paris with her hubby :sad4:

Hope your childhood friend's family and friends are well, best wishes to them.:ghug:

Last edited: