TEB is Cancelled | Page 4 | Golden Skate

TEB is Cancelled

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Can goldenskate mod owner clarify, jax said it in not cancelled. Others claim it Is. What is the truth and what time is it in Bordeaux ?8 Ladies skate was scheduled what time? Thank you. ,

it is cancelled, I just watched them post notices on the doors of the venue, to say so.

katia

On the Ice
I'm kind of sad it got cancelled, but on the other hand I understand. And I think we have to respect the decision as it was made by those who are directly affected by this tragedy.
About fairness for the athletes... I don't know. Would it really have been 100% fair to let them skate now? I'm sure many of them are deeply affected by this. They would be at a severe disadvantage to put out their best right now. And it's not only the skaters who are going up against each other at this event. What if some skaters end up with the same number of points? Then the actual scores decide who gets to go the GPF, right? What if it's between a skater who skated in another GP and a skater who had a miserable score because he had to skate his FS at TEB after this horrible night? Would that be fair?
We have to respect the decision but it shows terrorists that they won, a little. As for fair, nothing is fair, and in sport there are people who win and who lose, who are better and who are worse. This is sport and it is beautiful.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
What is this nonsense I see on social media outlets about "letting the terrorists win" by canceling the event? It's only been 12 hours since France has gone through one of its worst disasters in decades. Safety concerns should obviously trump a skating competition regardless of whether it's "fair" or not when you take a silly final into account. The authorities haven't even confirmed whether all the perpetrators have been caught or killed.

jace93

On the Ice
If that is the reason then if i were the ISU i'd revoke GPF in marseilles as of now, And move Bompard to another country

If they don't feel like they can provide security than the ISU shouldn't be working with them in the first place

It's the day after the worst terrorist attack in recent french history, I think it's pretty understandable for the french authorities to be overcautious...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Do the ISU not realise what they're doing? No Chan, no Aaron, no Tuktamysheva at GPF? All because they were robbed of an opportunity that skaters at EVERY OTHER EVENT had to skate a second program and redeem the first? No, this is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I guess then we should also never have any events in the USA (NYC, Boston), UK (London), Spain (Madrid)...

Why, Do they have insecurities in their abilities to provide safety?

If it's protocol than i'm fine with the decision, Also if it's out of respect, But safety issues?

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I wonder if that Charlie journal will make another oh-so-funny inhuman cover on this tragedy. People's tragedy but politician hypocrisy..

leafygreens

Final Flight
Would it be possible to give GPF points based on the SP, but allow any of the skaters the chance, if they wish, to compete at NHK or Rostelecom? Any of those skaters who are involved in a tie or close to making GPF should then be allowed to go (more than 6 skaters.)

LisaM

Medalist
Do the ISU not realise what they're doing? No Chan, no Aaron, no Tuktamysheva at GPF? All because they were robbed of an opportunity that skaters at EVERY OTHER EVENT had to skate a second program and redeem the first? No, this is wrong, wrong, wrong.

It seems it was not a decision by the ISU but they were overruled by the French authorities. I do wonder how they will solve it.

katia

On the Ice
Totally. If you want the ISU to tell the terrorists that they found a great way to ruin a country, then they should absolutely do that.
Hmm, and you mean that cancellation of the event is not a "ruination of a country"?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It seems it was not a decision by the ISU but they were overruled by the French authorities. I do wonder how they will solve it.

I do recognise that it was not the ISU's decision to cancel the event. I am referring to the decision to use the SP standings as the final results.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
And if all of the audience that arrived at this event would scatter off to restaurants now, They will be safer?

islandpaddler

On the Ice
Country
US-Virgin-Islands
I think cancelling TEB today was the right decision on many counts. Beyond safety and national mourning, I believe the attacks must have sucked the energy out of everyone at TEB. Not just the French skaters but everyone. To expect them to skate their best isn't realistic. I am here on a tiny island in the Caribbean and I feel the energy gone out of my day because of this.

On another note, despite the shock, horror and sadness at what happened in Paris, there was a beautiful rainbow this morning after a brief shower. Despite this and many other attacks both terrorist and crime related, there will still be beauty in the world and the figure skaters will skate again.

LisaM

Medalist
Why, Do they have insecurities in their abilities to provide safety?

If it's protocol than i'm fine with the decision, Also if it's out of respect, But safety issues?

Well since the GPF in Marseille is over A YEAR from now, I don't understand why you think it should be moved. As if they won't do anything about the security. USA, UK, etc etc have all upped their security since their respective attacks, I think it's ignorant to assume France won't do the same.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I do recognise that it was not the ISU's decision to cancel the event. I am referring to the decision to use the SP standings as the final results.

The ISU has not yet stated how they plan to go forward in terms of GPF qualification.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Would it be possible to give GPF points based on the SP, but allow any of the skaters the chance, if they wish, to compete at NHK or Rostelecom? Any of those skaters who are involved in a tie or close to making GPF should then be allowed to go (more than 6 skaters.)

this was my idea, too

peg

Medalist

Yes, in fact it seems the ISU is not happy about it either. Certainly the French federation isn't happy, but they had no choice.

I'm not clear whether there were safety concerns specific to TEB, or whether the French government has simply issued a blanket cancellation of all sporting events in the country.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
It's not fair, but what are the alternatives? :scratch2: