TEB is Cancelled | Page 5 | Golden Skate

TEB is Cancelled

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The ISU has not yet stated how they plan to go forward in terms of GPF qualification.

My apologies then, I had thought I had seen that the ISU page had been updated with the SP results as final results.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
It hasn't been a year if you want to be exact, but I mean, considering 9/11 and yknow, Boston still happened...

Right, And this kinda stuff will keep happening forever, But cancelling events because you can't provide security?
Just don't hold them in the first place

jace93

On the Ice
If that is the reason then if i were the ISU i'd revoke GPF in marseilles as of now, And move Bompard to another country

Totally. If you want the ISU to tell the terrorists that they found a great way to ruin a country, then they should absolutely do that.

It's Figure skating...

Yes, but following your reasoning also the fifa should cancel future event in france, ans so should music tour promoter...
if every sport federation and entertainment agencies cancelled future event from France it really would be a disaster economically and politically...

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Hmm, and you mean that cancellation of the event is not a "ruination of a country"?
I mean that there's a difference between "let's never ever again have any kind of event in France" and "better safe than sorry 12 hours after a major terrorist attack"

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Yes, but following your reasoning also the fifa should cancel future event in france, ans so should music tour promoter...
if every sport federation and entertainment agencies cancelled future event from France it really would be a disaster economically and politically...

Every organisation can do what they please,
As a spectator, I would be worried attending events there right now if that is their claim

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I wonder if that Charlie journal will make another oh-so-funny inhuman cover on this tragedy. People's tragedy but politician hypocrisy..

Je suis Charlie! Standing shoulder to shoulder with the people of France!

Last edited:

LisaM

Medalist
Right, And this kinda stuff will keep happening forever, But cancelling events because you can't provide security?

Sorry but that's hilarious. Can you honestly not think that maybe, LESS than 12 hours after an attack, a government is extra cautious? Any other country would've done the same.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Here's a transcript of Didier Gailhaguet's announcement regarding the cancellation of Trophee Eric Bompard...
"Dear, friends. I regret to inform you that due to the day of mourning in France and, most of all, the state of emergency in France, the French government has decided to cancel the Trophy, the fourth stage of the Grand Prix. The French federation and the ISU are completely devastated and extremely disappointed. Even though we had nothing to do with the decision, we feel sorry for the skating family. We’ll all do our utmost to help you. We’ve made proposals to the ISU about how to handle the selection for the Grand Prix Final. I am absolutely sorry for the decision."
https://twitter.com/ISU_Figure/statu...92141783797760

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I wonder if that Charlie journal will make another oh-so-funny inhuman cover on this tragedy. People's tragedy but politician hypocrisy..
:rolleye: I think they will continue with their work. As they should.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Je ne suis pas Charlie за то, что они сделали.
I am not Charlie for their mocking Russian tragedy

Last edited:

Sam L

Medalist
I think this, the cancellation of the event, would've happened anywhere in the world.

Also, I would've been fine with the event going ahead, but as a skater, would you really want to be a frame of mind of compete?

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
One of the opportunities to conduct Free Skating could be to make quick arrangements with one of the skating rinks in nearby European counties, to skate Free Programs during next week (the nearest possible is better to make it easier to transport all the skaters, couches and officials to another country).

One of the possible skating rinks could be Palavela in Turin (Italy), or skating rink "Palasesto" in Milan (where Lombardia Trophy was recently held). They have relatively low workload, therefore they possibly could provide their facilites for one day.

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
:rolleye: I think they will continue with their work. As they should.
People lives shouldn't be valued more or less due passport. People should stay people and act like that no matter what. It's a tragedy not to be made fun of

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Sorry but that's hilarious. Can you honestly not think that maybe, LESS than 12 hours after an attack, a government is extra cautious? Any other country would've done the same.

Yes if they're doing it out of protocol, There was no indication to this, Just a safety claim,

Any other country does not do this and hasn't in the past

uhh

Medalist
It's not fair, but what are the alternatives? :scratch2:

For karne, only giving her favourites free passage to the final, ignoring that they skated terribly yesterday.

Using the SP standings & if it comes to a tiebreaker for a skater that was at TEB only using SP scores is all they can do. The only other thing is to completely disregard TEB and then no one who competed there could make the final which is an even worse option.

Safety aside, the country is in mourning, it would have been very inappropriate to me to carry on, and especially unfair to the French skaters. Most of them train in Bercy & live near there, so what happened last night is right on their doorstep. They probably know people affected.

Last edited:

Idontsk8

On the Ice
So sorry about the happenings of last night and the terrible situation and cancelling TEB was right, authorities might have indication that there could still be possibility of other terrorist attacks in other cities and it's better to play it safe. As someone said, maybe the fairest thing to do would be to keep the SP scores from the competition but redistribute the TEB competitors for the free programs at Russia and Japan and then, after the end of NHK, make the calculations. It's a logistical hassle but it' the fairest option :scratch2:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I think this, the cancellation of the event, would've happened anywhere in the world.

Also, I would've been fine with the event going ahead, but as a skater, would you really want to be a frame of mind of compete?

I agree with this, But that is not the reason they cancelled

peg

Medalist
It's been a year since Charlie Hebdo,
Still ignorant?

It hasn't been a year if you want to be exact, but I mean, considering 9/11 and yknow, Boston still happened...

France did increase their security, especially in Paris, since the Charlie Hebdo attacks. But honestly, it's impossible to completely prevent terrorist attacks in public places.

That said, I heard a report that the bombs that went off outside the stadium with the soccer game were actually intended for inside the stadium, but there was security so they stayed outside. I don't know if that's actually true or just speculation, but if true, then it means that the security is actually helping. In theory, it should be possible to provide that same security at TEB.

However, I'm not convinced the decision has anything to do with security at TEB. Didier Gailhaguet's announcement made reference to the day of mourning and state of emergency in France. It may well be that authorities simply need some time to regroup and properly assess the situation and are simply being overly cautious until they know more.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For karne, only giving her favourites free passage to the final, ignoring that they skated terribly yesterday.

Using the SP standings & if it comes to a tiebreaker for a skater that was at TEB only using SP scores is all they can do. The only other thing is to completely disregard TEB and then no one who competed there could make the final which is an even worse option.

:rolleye:

Yes, because everyone here knows I'm totally in love with Patrick Chan...

It is not fair for any of them. There are a lot of big names across all the disciplines that will be affected because they were robbed of the chance to improve their placement, a chance that everyone else had. Perhaps they should have simply delayed the competition a day or two. Perhaps they could have held it behind closed doors.