Retired Skaters Fan Fest | Golden Skate

Retired Skaters Fan Fest

tulosai

Record Breaker
Have news to share about a retired skater without a thread of their very own? Find yourself watching a program from 20 years ago and thinking 'holy crap, that's better than anything anyone has done in the past 4 years?' Share it here!

To get us started, last night I watched Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat's 200- World Championships FD to Carmina Burana, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDNPtUXd8mE IMO one of the best ice dances of all time.:love:

Who else has something to share? :luv17:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Have news to share about a retired skater without a thread of their very own? Find yourself watching a program from 20 years ago and thinking 'holy crap, that's better than anything anyone has done in the past 4 years?' Share it here!

To get us started, last night I watched Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat's 200- World Championships FD to Carmina Burana, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDNPtUXd8mE IMO one of the best ice dances of all time.:love:

Who else has something to share? :luv17:

Yes. Awesome!!!! I said the COP ruined the icedance.. No freedom today.. just twizzles, and similar footworks :(

tulosai

Record Breaker
Since the subject has been brought up in the Rostelecom Cup Pairs thread, I'd like to commemorate Sergei Grinkov, a great skater passed away too soon:

Gordeeva/Grinkov 1988 FP and 1994 FP

That 1988 FP is one of my favorites ever. The expression on her face toward the end is just SO joyful, it's impossible not to smile along!

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I started following figure skating in 1998 (Nagano). I remember giving myself marks to skaters and writing their names in my notebook. I still keep it somewhere :laugh: It was still before my 5th birthday. I had dim recollection of falls of Marta Andrade from Spain and her dress in LP and later after re-watching that performance thanks to youtube it proved to be true. :biggrin: I had strong desire to train figure skating myself as a kid but there was no club within a radius of 100 km :slink:

Among my favourites that are now retired are:

Ice Dance: Anissina / Peizerat (my all-time favourite team :love:. I remember my disbelief when they lost gold to Krylova / Ovsiannikov at Worlds in 1999 and to Italians in 2001 :palmf: , Denkova / Staviski, Pechalat / Bourzat, Drobiazko / Vanagas (robbed so many times :slink: ), Davis / White, Delobel / Schoenfelder. I love watching Torvill / Dean especially their legendary Bolero from Sarajevo but happened 9 years before I was born :laugh:
Pairs: Berezhnaya / Sikharulidze, Zagórska / Siudek, Shen / Zhao, Savchenko / Szolkowy
Ladies: Ando, Butyrskaya, Sebestyen, Slutskaya, Cohen. My all time fave is Maria Butyrskaya :love: Now I root hard for Mao only :biggrin:
Men: Yagudin :biggrin:, Sandhu, Takahashi, Plushenko, Joubert, Lambiel, Weir, Goebel.

Last edited:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I just realized there is no you tube video with Maria Butyrskaya's LP at the 1999 Worlds. At least one of them is out because of copyright???! What copyright, the same music is in other programs. I am outraged! How could they ban a 1999 LP. I remember watching it some time ago. Now there are most of her world competitions except 1999, when she won.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
The English "Carmen" site says, that Ekaterina Gordeeva is going to skate in London with them.
Gordeeva was skating with them in Moscow.

Domnina isn't going to skate in London.
And Totmianina isn't going. (they will skate the first variant, without her role)