2015 Rostelecom Cup Ice Dance SD | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2015 Rostelecom Cup Ice Dance SD

robredo40

On the Ice
Weaver and Poje should win tommorrow if this competition is judged fairly their FD is much more difficult than the Italians.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Weaver and Poje should win tommorrow if this competition is judged fairly their FD is much more difficult than the Italians.

Explain what you mean please. In what elements it is more difficult?

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
While C/L are a wonderful couple, imo W/P have more complex transitions and changes of hold, less two footed skating, more closed holds and skate closer together, and more power and speed. But Anna and Luca sure can twizzle!

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
While C/L are a wonderful couple, imo W/P have more complex transitions and changes of hold, less two footed skating, more closed holds and skate closer together, and more power and speed. But Anna and Luca sure can twizzle!

If I'll have time next week I'll compare these two dances closely, numbers and all that stuff. I think I can argue with what you posted.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Great skates from the top 2 teams. I was really impressed by both of their performances. I don't think W/P did deserve the gold over Shibutanis at Skate Canada, but they performed pretty well here. C/L's SP was so lovely and charming, so I hope to see a great skate in FS too from the Italians!

On the other hand, S/K's performance made me scratch my head. They clearly underperformed than at SA, but they got a new seasonal best score, huh? I thought Sinitsina's skating skills were improved with the decent SA showings. However, when she gets nervous, everything she presented looked really far behind her partner. It will be a burden for Katsalapov. She needs to practice much harder than him. I thought another Italian team surely would go ahead of the Russians, but well..the place is Russia. Anyway I like G/B's expressive presentation. Hope they also show a nice performance too the next day.

whatif

Medalist
So, do we already have Russian number one team? Zueva is having the last laugh. :laugh2:

I/Z, what a hot mess!!!

MIM

Medalist
Great skates from the top 2 teams. I was really impressed by both of their performances. I don't think W/P did deserve the gold over Shibutanis at Skate Canada, but they performed pretty well here. C/L's SP was so lovely and charming, so I hope to see a great skate in FS too from the Italians!

That made me think how great Shibutanis are this season. They almost beat W/P and left stronger impression at the SC. C/L was way better than C/B a the COC. So.... there is a possibility that Shibs are going to be ahead of C/B at the Natioanl and medal at the World.

W/P is regal and they have even better FD.
C/L shows a super partnership and their program is just lovely.

On the other hand, S/K's performance made me scratch my head. They clearly underperformed than at SA, but they got a new seasonal best score, huh? I thought Sinitsina's skating skills were improved with the decent SA showings. However, when she gets nervous, everything she presented looked really far behind her partner. It will be a burden for Katsalapov. She needs to practice much harder than him. I thought another Italian team surely would go ahead of the Russians, but well..the place is Russia. Anyway I like G/B's expressive presentation. Hope they also show a nice performance too the next day.
I agree S/K underperformed here than they did at the SA especially the second half. I don't know it was a stamina issue or not, Viki looks slower and behind a beat than Niki. Niki was pulling and leading, busy but still very attractive.

G/B and M/K came out of nowhere at the SC ( I don't follow ID as much as I do singles.) I noticed this talented teams at the practice session there, and kept watching them, hoping them to move up the ladder. G/B is so lively and has a slight edge so far(Italians surely can dance!), but I like G/B's style and Kirill's lead.

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
So, do we already have Russian number one team? Zueva is having the last laugh. :laugh2:

I/Z, what a hot mess!!!

Don't underestimate B/S. Though it was apparent that the injury might still be effecting Soloviev at SC, they are very good skaters and this season have excellent material. NHK could prove quite exciting and if B/S beat the Shibs, B/S may be crowned Russian number one at Nationals.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
and they also got a deduction on the lift- unfortunately the score can't come as a surprise.
They didn't get a deduction on the lift - it was for the fall on twizzles.

I just hope they could clean it up, and maybe missing the GPF would be a good opportunity to do that.
I am interested in what do you mean by cleaning up. Sure, they should not make such serious errors on twizzles, but otherwise they got the highest levels from everyone (even Weaver/Poje got level 3 on their lift, but Cappellini/Lanotte got level 2 on one of the Rawensburger sequences). At CoC their levels also were good and they had no big mistakes. PCS and GOE seem to be a problem, though. PCS can only be explained by judges not quite liking the SD, bu their marks for skating skills are surprisingly low anyway. And should they really receive such low GOE for their Rawensburger sequences which look fast and powerful if nothing else?

I/Z, what a hot mess!!!
Yes, they had that one big mistake on the twizzles, but it seems a bit too much to call the SD that received the highest levels on everything else "a hot mess". They got level 3 and 4 for their Rawensburger sequences (the same as Weaver/Poje and, yes, Kim/Minov), while Cappellini/Lanotte and Guignard/Fabbri got level 2 and 4, and Sinitsina/Katsalapov and Monko/Khaliavin got level 3 and 3. Their partial step sequence was level 3, while S/K's, G/F's and M/K's were level 2 (and Kim/Minov's was level 1). Lift was also level 4 and got no deduction, while W/P's got level 3. GOE and PCS is another thing, and the question is - do they really deserve the GOE and PCS they get for this SD? Do they deserve seriously below 8 for skating skills (even with a fall on twizzles) if Sinitsina/Katsalapov got 8.46 (even a 9 from one judge), and GOE of 0.43 and 0.26 for their Rawensburger sequences (which do look fast and "big" if nothing else)?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
That made me think how great Shibutanis are this season. They almost beat W/P and left stronger impression at the SC. C/L was way better than C/B a the COC. So.... there is a possibility that Shibs are going to be ahead of C/B at the Natioanl and medal at the World.

Just good lucks for Shibutanis. They have a good chance of winning a NHK trophy title as you know because of Papadakis/Cizeron's withdrawl although beating Bobrova/Soloviev would not be easy.

W/P is regal and they have even better FD.
C/L shows a super partnership and their program is just lovely.
Yes, W/P has a wonderful FD, so I hope to see it soon in a cleaner shape than one at the SC.
Cappellinni/Lanotte have built a good relationship with each other which makes their performances look confortable.

I agree S/K underperformed here than they did at the SA especially the second half. I don't know it was a stamina issue or not, Viki looks slower and behind a beat than Niki. Niki was pulling and leading, busy but still very attractive.
Niki can be a prince charming or a charsmatic magician. I hope his good skating skills and presentation shine through on ice with his parter.

G/B and M/K came out of nowhere at the SC ( I don't follow ID as much as I do singles.) I noticed this talented teams at the practice session there, and kept watching them, hoping them to move up the ladder. G/B is so lively and has a slight edge so far(Italians surely can dance!), but I like G/B's style and Kirill's lead.
I'm also a casual ice dance fan, but think people are keen to sense people with great talents. I noticed G/B at the SC during their practice sessions. I don't quite know about M/K well since there are so many ice dancers in Russia. They are delicate and soft, so their presence is not as much strong as the other teams, but we can see how they would pull off. :)

paperhearts

Final Flight
I am interested in what do you mean by cleaning up. Sure, they should not make such serious errors on twizzles, but otherwise they got the highest levels from everyone (even Weaver/Poje got level 3 on their lift, but Cappellini/Lanotte got level 2 on one of the Rawensburger sequences). At CoC their levels also were good and they had no big mistakes. PCS and GOE seem to be a problem, though. PCS can only be explained by judges not quite liking the SD, bu their marks for skating skills are surprisingly low anyway. And should they really receive such low GOE for their Rawensburger sequences which look fast and powerful if nothing else?

Cleaning up as in cleaning up their movements so the judges won't have anything to nitpick. Pay more attention to details, stay consistent (and as you said, not make such serious errors on twizzles) with their levels, take their performance to a different dimension, not let the judges have any reason to deduct anything, that was all I was trying to say. :) I was trying to stay positive because after that short dance, I'd say there's only a very slim chance that they'll go to GPF so if they don't, I hope they take that as an opportunity to work on their programs more during the break since there're only 2 spots for Russia afterall (and for some reason, the judges seem to prefer S/K, unfortunately). If they're getting low PCS for good levels and no big mistakes as in CoC, I'd say that's a message that the judges are looking for something and they're not seeing that in them yet.

katha

On the Ice
I/Z's SD isn't working for me as a piece of choreography, perhaps some of the judges feel the same and that explains the relative restraint in GOE and PCS? It's not that they have unusual music, it's that IMO the program doesn't do the music justice. So when they're done with the dance I never think "Oh, that was fresh and interesting", I think "Huh. What was that?". I don't know if changing SDs is the answer, perhaps reworking some of the choreo might help. Or it's just me that has a problem with the program...but IMO it does them no favours, they don't look their best with it.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I/Z's SD isn't working for me as a piece of choreography, perhaps some of the judges feel the same and that explains the relative restraint in GOE and PCS? It's not that they have unusual music, it's that IMO the program doesn't do the music justice. So when they're done with the dance I never think "Oh, that was fresh and interesting", I think "Huh. What was that?". I don't know if changing SDs is the answer, perhaps reworking some of the choreo might help. Or it's just me that has a problem with the program...but IMO it does them no favours, they don't look their best with it.

They want to be different they said in a recent chat, that´s why they picked these programs. It is a different approach to a short dance, personally I think it has something, but the judges don´t give too much credit yet, that said - for me, the program is not as strong like of other dancers, especially the artistry and the actual "easy going" that the others have. It always looks like hard work to me, that´s not how it should be.

Besides that, with all due respect to the skaters, I think that many underestimated the role Nikita Katsalapov played back in the days, when all eyes were on Elena. In my opinion, he was at least as important as Elena - he just is a very good dancer.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I used to like Elena a lot, because of the Swan Lake. She was sharp and sensational. I think after breaking up with Nikita, her facial expression became over the top, to the extent that I can hardly bare it. Her Carman program, and this SD too. I specifically don't like the lip sync type of expression and exaggerated mouth expression. I really want them do well, but it seems that S/K is improving faster. Viki is still not there yet but they have such potential, their long lines and Nikita's flair and posture are really asset to the team. Good luck everybody!

bramweld

Record Breaker
I used to like Elena a lot, because of the Swan Lake. She was sharp and sensational. I think after breaking up with Nikita, her facial expression became over the top, to the extent that I can hardly bare it. Her Carman program, and this SD too. I specifically don't like the lip sync type of expression and exaggerated mouth expression. I really want them do well, but it seems that S/K is improving faster. Viki is still not there yet but they have such potential, their long lines and Nikita's flair and posture are really asset to the team. Good luck everybody!

In light of the theatrics of Krylova I'd say Lena simply has range, I find most other ice dance ladies bland with Maddie and Gabbie being notable exceptions. I also miss Hurtado.