Mikhail Kolyada | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada

Tutto

Record Breaker
^^ I actually thought the combination of a bright shirt with a glittery bow tie was a nice mishmash of fun and classy... (Probably I watch Project Runway too much...)

I saw his protocols from junior competitions and he consistently got e for flips, so probably that's why. I wonder if he is trying to fix it though.

I really want to see him at Euros but the Russian field is so packed... I think if he wins over Sergei at the nats, it's very likely that the fed will choose Mikhail since he has already won twice over Sergei this season at the Rostelecom and the Cup of Russia. (Wait, but I like Sergei too!)

As to the boot lace thing, Japanese wiki says his boot lace snapped, but as I watched the video it didn't look like it was snapped... but it's certain he had some problem with his boot or boot lace.

BTW, you live in Ireland? I used to study there! I love that country ;)

Thanks for info. Pity about flip his jump technique is so solid on all other jumps.
Just realised that though there are 3 spots for Euros, Russian men only got 2 for Worlds. So it is going to be even tougher to get on the team.
Yes, Ireland is a lovely country, I am originally from Estonia though.

Perdita

Final Flight
^ Estonia must be very beautiful too. Mika was going to Tallinn if he wasn't chosen for CoR wasn't he.

If anyone could figure out what is the music he used in 2010-11 season, it will be very much appreciated!
SP:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK4GKFeGiBg
FS:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyk33Ddw-g4
He is so adorable in these.

ETA:
I thought I hadn't known Mikhail until CoR but I just remembered him from the Russian Nationals where he withdrew. Plushy and Sergei zayacked in the event and I remember another junior skater withdrew because of his boot lace problem. It was about a few days after Nobunari Oda had retired in Japan and the Japanese fans went crazy for saying that the event was cursed by Oda since he was known for zayacking and he had withdrew at Vancouver for a snapped boot lace... :laugh: Hadn't realized that poor guy was him! Glad to know he became such a good skater now.

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
Mikhail won SP today at 5th event of Cup of Russia in Moscow with the score of 87.61. Well done Mika (I like the name ^)
:clap:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Kolyada, the 3A he landed at the COR is the most effortless and beautiful I have ever seen! Wow, such a natural talent in FS! :love: Hope he can make the Russian team for Worlds.

paulusfr

On the Ice
FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqq9Jb1d4C0
TSS 159.08, TES 77.38, PCS 81.70. Final result 246.69 Points and the 1st place at this event. So he qualified to the Final of Russian Cup
He did just a 3T instead of his opening quad toe, so he doubled his second 3Lz. All the rest was pretty good with quality, as always

Last edited:

Perdita

Final Flight
Conglatulations Mika :hap10: Second winning for cup of russia qualifier!
I'm curious how these qualifying system works... do the skaters have to participate two? Which place do they have to be??

A bit unfortunate about FS but hope he'll come back stronger at the nationals!

Tutto

Record Breaker
Conglatulations Mika :hap10: Second winning for cup of russia qualifier!
I'm curious how these qualifying system works... do the skaters have to participate two? Which place do they have to be??

A bit unfortunate about FS but hope he'll come back stronger at the nationals!

I have no idea how it works but 'our' Mika has qualified that is all that matters! I seem to remember that these work as qualifiers for Russian Nationals as well?
He looked so disappointed after the LP though it was clean & enough to win. Perfectionist! In a way it is good the mistakes happened here and there is still time to work on it before the Nationals. I think the sentiment in Russia now (after no Russian man in GPF) that Mika should be on the team but it all depends on the Nationals.
He is a brave man to chose the 'Nightmare before Xmas' for the long considering that Russian Nationals are just around Western Christmas time and before the Orthodox Christmas (the 7th January):)
Perdita to your question ^ I can't figure out the music for 2010-11 season, it sounds to me like some gypsy folk dance for the lp and maybe some movie soundtrack for the sp. Maybe someone else can help.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqq9Jb1d4C0
TSS 159.08, TES 77.38, PCS 81.70. Final result 246.69 Points and the 1st place at this event. So he qualified to the Final of Russian Cup
He did just a 3T instead of his opening quad toe, so he doubled his second 3Lz. All the rest was pretty good with quality, as always

he has all the talent and he can count too!!!! congratulations Mikhail! :cheer:

Perdita

Final Flight
I have no idea how it works but 'our' Mika has qualified that is all that matters! I seem to remember that these work as qualifiers for Russian Nationals as well?
He looked so disappointed after the LP though it was clean & enough to win. Perfectionist! In a way it is good the mistakes happened here and there is still time to work on it before the Nationals. I think the sentiment in Russia now (after no Russian man in GPF) that Mika should be on the team but it all depends on the Nationals.
He is a brave man to chose the 'Nightmare before Xmas' for the long considering that Russian Nationals are just around Western Christmas time and before the Orthodox Christmas (the 7th January):)
Perdita to your question ^ I can't figure out the music for 2010-11 season, it sounds to me like some gypsy folk dance for the lp and maybe some movie soundtrack for the sp. Maybe someone else can help.

Thank you for all of your informations as always ;)
My understanding is that the final stage of Cup of Russia is the Nationals but I may be wrong...

Yeah, he seems to be a perfectionist. I think it's one of the reasons he's likely to lose levels for his spins though. It seems he doesn't let the choreography to be sacrificed for getting enough revolutions. But I like skaters with some stubbornness :cool:
He has the second highest SB among Russian men right now, so if he can show what he can, he definetly has a chance to go to the Euros and possibly the Worlds.

And I'm glad to know that he's one of those skaters who can count jumps while skating. It's a very important skill indeed :biggrin:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Thank you guys so much for the infos & videos!:cheer:

Counting jumps really is the secret ingredient for CoP success, good thing Mika has it :biggrin:

Perdita

Final Flight
https://youtu.be/2-2bYeNJKw0?t=954

I just found some footage and an interview of Mika from the Rostelecom :luv17:
I have no idea what he's saying but somehow he sounds like he's being a bit emotional at the end to me. (and he's cute :eek::)

Last edited:

buton

On the Ice
yes, cute guy, but it's like he feels uncomfortable giving an interview. What is really impressed me, that he was broken his leg badly and had two surgions last year, but then how fast he was recovered, and how much better skater he became! He forced me to watch The Nightmare Before Christmas and rewatch this cartoon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2WYkUwrHlE again.
BTW it's kind of funny, that his surname in Slavic countries means the time of celebration Christmas and New Year, and he uses in his programms music from cartoons about this time.
However I was charmed with Misha and his programms, wish him best luck at Russian Nationals!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
yes, cute guy, but it's like he feels uncomfortable giving an interview. What is really impressed me, that he was broken his leg badly and had two surgions last year, but then how fast he was recovered, and how much better skater he became! He forced me to watch The Nightmare Before Christmas and rewatch this cartoon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2WYkUwrHlE again.
BTW it's kind of funny, that his surname in Slavic countries means the time of celebration Christmas and New Year, and he uses in his programms music from cartoons about this time.
However I was charmed with Misha and his programms, wish him best luck at Russian Nationals!
I know this cartoon! I didn't realize it was that from description of programs :palmf: Thank you :) I would love for Mikhail to make it to Europeans :hap10:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I know this cartoon! I didn't realize it was that from description of programs :palmf: Thank you :) I would love for Mikhail to make it to Europeans :hap10:

I know this cartoon, too. Good memory from my childhood!

Go, Mikhail!

Tutto

Record Breaker
https://youtu.be/2-2bYeNJKw0?t=954

I just found some footage and an interview of Mika from the Rostelecom :luv17:
I have no idea what he's saying but somehow he sounds like he's being a bit emotional at the end to me. (and he's cute :eek::)

Thanks for the link!
Mika looks like he is not used to being interviewed - no fear, he will soon get a hang of it! He says that a mistake on the quad was not due to nerves, then he was obviously looking for words while trying to explain why it happened but couldn't (oh he is just so cute!) but in his later interview he said that the quad is still a new element for him it is the first season he is doing it and that mistakes are inevitable at this stage. But back to that first interview, he also says that his SP was about 80% of what he could have done. But on the whole he enjoyed the experience very much.
Then Oleg Vasiliev, the Olympic champion in pairs, commented on the SPs. He said that Kolyada's program was the best in the first group. He said that Mikhail has very good skating skills (he emphasised that), jumps and presence on the ice. He has big future.
Tarasova praised his figure and said that the quads will be no problem for him - a right type of built and no extra weight. BTW Plushenko said that he reminded him of young Ilia Kulik - so light and strong at the same time.
Perdita, to your question earlier about Russian Cup Final:
No it is not Russian Nationals, Russian Cup Final held in February and sometimes used as additional criteria for world team selection. IIRC that's how Anna Pogorilaya got to go to Worlds 2014 when she won the Cup and Adelina decided not to go.

About his surname I think it is Ukranian and yes , 'kolyadki' is a tradition to go round the night before Christmas singing special songs and receiving for that some treats from the hosts (pretty much like at Halloween).

Last edited:

Perdita

Final Flight
Thank you so much Tutto! :bow:
And I got about the Russian Cup Final thing :agree: It's good that he's got some fairly big competitions to go in February I think.

Here's some translations of the Japanese commentary by Nobunari Oda on his FS: (This is what I do when I'm too busy with what I'm supposed to be doing...:hopelessness:)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3f49bv_cor-men-fs2_sport

"(After the performance) The quality of his jumps are remarkable. Not only 3A but all the other jumps are clean (i.e. no particular technical habit), he goes into them with speed, smoothly enters and smoothly jumps. He is the one who can jump in a very ideal way. (4T slowmo) This 4T at the beginning... actually, it is as if he jumped too high. He jumped too high that he couldn't tell the timing to open his legs. It was that high. The quality of the jumps is really good. Very pleasant to watch. (The other commentator says 'there's Plushenko' but Nobu just ignores and continues...lol) And he's got flexibility in these spins. So if he can improve his skating skills and expression more and more, he will be a tough opponent. He's full of talent."
In SP, he also mentioned that his 3A was very high despite it was preceded by a difficult turn, a bracket.

Tutto

Record Breaker
^ Many thanks Perdita for the translation! That is quite a testimony to his talent from Oda - wow.

Here is link to his instagram - a pic with the World Champion - I really don't know whose smile is more winning! Mika says: 'Of course I coudn't help taking a photo with a great skater and veeery funny person!'

Mika is also very good taking time to thank everyone who left comments:

https://www.instagram.com/p/-atudOBqCA/?taken-by=mikhail_kolyada

Last edited: