Mikhail Kolyada

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Well at least he won a medal. Congrats sweetie

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Quirky Prince! Not the best performance but he is a fighter! I was wondering about 2nd quad, glad to hear he is planning and hopefully he will succeed :cheer: its amazing how he came out of nowhere this season (esp for ppl like me who started following fs closely after Sochi :biggrin:) and made us love him!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I like the nickname Quirky prince :love:

Although with that little nod he gave after finishing his LP performance, he looked like the grumpy cat for a moment :laugh2:

And he actually had the highest overall TES of the event! Way to go bby! My favorite jump is his 3Lz, it's so huuuuuuge (even though his 3A is amazing too). I'm so happy we'll see him and his fun programs again at Euros, hopefully he'll do what the first full senior season skaters can afford - just attack everything because you don't have as much to lose (yet). And all the best for the quad sal!:rock:

Perdita

Final Flight
I like Quirky prince too! and grumpy cat :laugh2:

But what is more important is two different quads :thumbsup:

I woke up, read the translation, and realised he is going for a quad salchow... a big surprise to wake me up! I think it's better for him to have 4S than two 4T since he doesn't have 3F but has quality 3A and 3Lz. It'll be a shame if he had to ditch one of them to put in the second 4T. I read somewhere the first quad he was trying to incorporate was not 4T but 4S. His 3S does look solid.

If he's changing the jump layout then he'll change the choreography a bit too. That's exciting :love:
I'm growing into a big fan of his choregrapher, Olga, I love her work including Stanislava's programmes.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
http://tass.ru/sport/2560024

Plushenko bet his wife a bottle of champagne that Mikhail would win. :laugh: He says he would have given Misha the win over Kovtun, and raves about his jumps. He says he would like to advise him in the future (another version of this article translated the word as "coach" rather than advise - not sure which is more correct). I guess he's a fanboy too. :)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I love Plush, I love Mikhail & I love how our Snow King love Quirky Prince skating :luv17:

Perdita

Final Flight

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
^Thank you for the hard work, Perdita!

In these pictures, Mika looks so younger than his age; he has still a boyish looking with rosy cheeks but ambitious eyes.

Perdita

Final Flight
So here comes a new article about him and his coach.
http://www.rg.ru/2015/12/30/kolyada.html

I'll post the translation via Google translate

What 20-year-old Michael Kolyada good skater, you knew everything. But somehow it turned out that the first-second role in the national team was not considered. Maybe it's not just Michael? In the harsh, when it comes to the selection of the national team, figure skating plays a vital role magical influence coach. There are teachers, deservedly recognized as great. Their word, solicitation, high appeal to the supreme arbiter play a huge role in the life of the pupil. However, this is accepted throughout the world of figure skating. And so, too, skaters happen to change the coach, knowing that glorified not give offense, breaks.

Silver medalist Russia Mikhail Kolyada borrows from his coach Valentina Mikhailovna Chebotareva, terrible to say, 15 years. She noticed nimble little boy riding a small Katochkov St Petersburg, when he was five. And he took his group.

The boy from a family in which four children grew up, matured, gained experience and professional skills. But here it is a phenomenon typical, clear to anyone who understands the sport. Came the first successes were the prizes, and behind them the attention of: Misha Kolyada began to invite other coaches. Yes, the famous, much more stentorian voice than the quiet and in the Leningrad intelligent Valentina Mikhailovna. It is, in fact, and this is not surprising. The world has its own laws. Misha - is not the first of its pupils, which proposed to change destiny.

Was it a shame? Still would. It's one thing when she gladly gives Raised by her single skater Oksana Kazakova, who put in a couple of the famous Artur Dmitriev - and a couple of wins Olympic gold. And just when they leave, rather, not just ... Chebotarev it does not consider it a betrayal, but how hard to survive coach like parting.

Misha was Kolyada. It was hard. Proposals are not accepted. Consulted with his large and, says Valentina, happy family. And the family council rendered a unanimous decision, which reported Chebotareva: Michael stays with you.

Here, of course, much depended, and from the skater. Silver medalist Russia is not yet accustomed to giving interviews, but in Yekaterinburg firmly answered me: "Yes, I would not have otherwise been able to. We are together for 15 years. And have the same."

Yes, we have made, but everything is like a fairy tale, although there was not a Christmas New Year, and on 21 November. The famous Arthur Gachinsky in 22 years has decided to say goodbye to figure skating, and at the Moscow Grand Prix had to be replaced. By whom? So here it is, Kolyada. Misha took and made good. However, the championship in Yekaterinburg, it is not recorded as favorite. There were other contenders. But Kolyada good quad and all the other elements performed confidently, losing only Maxim Kovtun.

At the European Championship in Bratislava he was automatically the second number. 20 years, writing a little strange, but for skaters - sculler already done. Now or ... Making its debut in this championship and Valentina Chebotarev.

Frankly
Valentina, congratulations and good luck in Bratislava.

Valentine Chebotarev: Thank you. Yes, I am not ashamed: for the first time going to Europe with a student. We have a double debut. Spring has issued a pension, but throw and do not think. We are ready.
Sometimes I watched you. And you're always so modest, in the distance. In my opinion, the parties to give interviews, all silent.
Valentine Chebotarev: I guess that's my style. I'm in training not to raise voices for their children do not swear, we have installed a quiet discipline. And, you know, all of its compliance.
Tell me, what you have taken away the most talented, experienced hard?
Valentine Chebotarev: I was not famous figure skater. She graduated from the Institute recruited a group of kids on the small rinks. And among them there are capable of so much! I deal with them was a pleasure. And if the output is someone on the ice is not great, I and others have, then, well, fate. I have spent my life in the rink and happy. But here we are with Misha broke, and it is the greatest joy in my life coach.
I can not make a compliment. You said something about retirement and looks young.
Valentine Chebotarev: I'll tell you. When all his life to do what you want, even with the kids, the wrinkles you spared.

It's very nice to know that Mikhail was stubborn enough to stick with Chebotareva. One of the highlights at the Nationals for me was to see Mika and Chebotareva at K&C. They were so cute together and their strong bond and trust were so apparent all through. That was very heartwarming :) Love her little interview at the end too.

And I like this bit :laugh:
Silver medalist Russia is not yet accustomed to giving interviews

Also, I bought World Figure Skating Magazine vol.72 (a Japanese FS magazine), and there was Mika's interview after the Rostelecom along with Adian. The interview was actually almost same as the others you can find on the internet, but one new thing I learnt is that he goes to a university. The translation of that part:

- What do you do during your spare time?
- I am currently a student at Lesgaft National State University of Physical Education, Sport and Health. I'm writing my senior thesis this year, so I'm very busy. I like studying but skating is my first priority at the moment.

Such an amazing achievement that he is having a spectacular season this year while also working hard at the college :clap:

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
My belated congratulations to Mika on his first medal at the Nationals and most importantly a spot on the Euro team!!! So happy!!
Thank you Perdita for all your work!
This interview with Mika's coach is terrific (google translation not so much I'll post my translation when I get a chance). So interesting that Valentina Chebotareva coached Oksana Kazakova as a single skater till Moskvina put her in the pair with Artur Dmitriev and they become Olympic champions. Chebotareva said that she didn't mind that much loosing Oksana becouse she moved into pair skating but that she would be very upset if Mika left her.

I gathered from what I could read in Russian forums that because Mika's parents cannot afford supporting his training, Valentina did a lot to help Mika financially too, she treats him as his own family. He too said that she is like a second mother to him. Another detail is that Mika's family live in St Petersburg suburb and that it takes him 2.5h to get to the rink (one way). So that makes it 5 hours a day - not easy.
Wishing them both a success from all my heart.

About second quad (sal) - not sure how I feel, if it affects the rest of the program it might backfire. I think Mika doesnt really need it for Euro. but of course they know best.
Hope will be back with more translations & info.

Last edited:

berry8

Final Flight
My belated congratulations to Mika on his first medal at the Nationals and most importantly a spot on the Euro team!!! So happy!!
Thank you Perdita for all your work!
This interview with Mika's coach is terrific (google translation not so much I'll post my translation when I get a chance). So interesting that Valentina Chebotareva coached Oksana Kazakova as a single skater till Moskvina put her in the pair with Artur Dmitriev and they become Olympic champions. Chebotareva said that she didn't mind that much loosing Oksana becouse she moved into pair skating but that she would be very upset if Mika left her.

I gathered from what I could read in Russian forums that because Mika's parents cannot afford supporting his training, Valentina did a lot to help Mika financially too, she treats him as his own family. He too said that she is like a second mother to him. Another detail is that Mika's family live in St Petersburg suburb and that it takes him 2.5h to get to the rink (one way). So that makes it 5 hours a day - not easy.
Wishing them both a success from all my heart.

About second quad (sal) - not sure how I feel, if it affects the rest of the program it might backfire. I think Mika doesnt really need it for Euro. but of course they know best.
Hope will be back with more translations & info.

Well, I hope that he will be financially supported now that he made the Team!
I am looking forward to your translation Tutto:D
Mika's life must be hard indeed :( but the flower that blooms in adversity is the rarest and most beautiful of all :D

Perdita

Final Flight
Thank you Tutto!
I found this article very nice too that it focuses on Chebotareva herself and how firm their bond is. I hope all other interviewers stop asking them whether he ever thought of changing coach or any famous coach approached him etc. simply because Chebotareva is not famous... I'll be looking forward to seeing Tutto's translation! but no pressure ;)

Another rumor I heard, not very credible at all though, is that around 2002, his family was suffering financial difficulties that Mishin actually proposed to adopt him. Whether that be true or not, he must have had so many hardships in his career, let alone the injury. (At the age of 15, he said he had thought of quitting skating for four times... :() But I'm so grateful that he chose to skate and never gave up. See what he achieved this year :hap10:

Last edited: