2015 Australian Nationals - Nov 28-Dec 4 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 Australian Nationals - Nov 28-Dec 4

Horseandpony

Rinkside
Whoa, how did I have no idea that there was an entire thread for nationals? Thanks for all your recaps and stuff, guys. :) I can't wait until it's in Melbourne next year.

What I would give it be a fly on the wall at nationals... Sounds like a bit of drama went on! Bit sad to hear about the shove from Chantelle to Brooklee, but of course I was not there so don't really know what happened.

Hmm, maybe I should try on Edeas if the stand is there next year. Not that I need ice flys or anything...

Well done to everyone who skated. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Of course she won junior she is already a senior champion last year and against a 14 year old Lots of people thought it was not appropriate. Incidentally she also won senior by a huge margin as well. Good on her but it's very strange she would need to do both

Toots, your ONLY posts since joining this site have been to bash on Kailani. Please don't. She is still Junior age-eligible and she was far from the only one dabbling in different levels. The boy who won the Novice men also competed as a Junior. And not all of the Senior ladies were Senior only - in fact, take away the double-ups and it's a pretty sick-looking field. It is Kailani's prerogative to compete both events, and there is nothing in the rules to preclude it. She herself is only 17 and there were other 16 and 17 year olds in Juniors. Also, if anything, she was actively making life harder for herself by doing both.

Katie Pasfield does not have the scores sadly but any things possible with Australian judging!

Excuse you? First, let's get this through your skull: the Australian judges have no power to hand Katie the scores for 4CCs. She would have to go onto the international circuit and get them, the same with everyone else. Secondly, I thought the judging was very circumspect and accurate the whole week. There was no massive inflations, scores were reasonably in line with what was achieved with similar performances internationally, and certainly no contentious decisions that I could discern.

Yes I also witnessed it and it was very nasty.

I'm very sad to hear this. I did not see it, perhaps I am glad I did not.

What I would give it be a fly on the wall at nationals... Sounds like a bit of drama went on! Bit sad to hear about the shove from Chantelle to Brooklee, but of course I was not there so don't really know what happened.

It was actually a reasonably drama-free week. But then my previous experiences include the infamous Skate DownUnder blackout and Nationals coming to a halt because of excess fog, so I suppose my view of "drama-free" might be skewed...

Hmm, maybe I should try on Edeas if the stand is there next year. Not that I need ice flys or anything...

Everyone I spoke to gushed about how soft they were. I could not justify the money and therefore did not want to waste the time of the fitter with a curiosity fitting, though I'd never have got the Flys, I was looking more at the Chorus.

Most importantly, who was the best dressed of the week?

Hmm. There were lots of really good costumes. My memories will tend to be skewed towards the end of the week because of brain overload. Let's see. Brooklee's costumes were both wonderful, and that onesie is :love:. Really loved Kailani's LP dress. Katie Pasfield also had a beautiful purplish-ombre type dress for the FS that was gorgeous. The Dodds boys were all extremely well-dressed but Andrew's two costumes were the best. Brendan's SP costume is much better looking up close and his LP costume is really gorgeous. Cameron Hemmert's LP costume was also really magnificent, it was black and red like most tangos but done in a way that looked great on him. Also loved Paris' dress for her and Matt's LP up close. James Min's LP costume was excellent. At the lower levels, Holly Harris' (Novice) costumes were gorgeous I thought and Ben Meeuwissen (Intermediate) had a great onesie with very simple effective rhinestoning. (All the onesies really stuck in my head this week. I hope this isn't my brain doing the subliminal messaging thing. Nobody wants to see me in a onesie.)

The misses: there were a few, the worst I can think of off the top of my head: Darian Kaptich's LP costume which was too bland for him, James Min's SP costume, Katie Pasfield's SP dress which kind of gave her the ghostly effect...there were more, but I can't think of them right now.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
So many great skates this week.

Perhaps my award for the most grit goes to Amelia Sadler from NSW. She really had a tough time of it in both rounds of the junior ladies'event, as well as the senior ladies'short. Came back and went for it in the senior free with two good double axels, and didn't back off from an attempted triple salchow and triple loop.

Her coach seems to get so passionate watching his skates, and really shows his emotions. It is almost as much fun watching him react as it is seeing his skaters compete.

I was really impressed by Holly Harris and and Corina Ormston in Novice. It's so funny how Ormston, Amelia Jackson, and Bailey Warr are all bombshell blondes coached by the same team. It's like somebody has genetically cloned Kiira Korpi down under.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
I wonder when the team for 4CC will be announced, and if it will be treated as a qualifying event for worlds?

I believe Stephens and Dodds are going to the Nestle Torun Cup shortly to see if they can get the points necessary for 4CC as well.

snsd

On the Ice
At the Nationals Banquet they announced 4 people that are named to the 4CC team. These are the only 4 people with scores to go.
Brendan, Andrew, Kailani and Brooklee.
Additional entries are based on who gets the scores.

brookes1968

Rinkside
Of course she won junior she is already a senior champion last year and against a 14 year old Lots of people thought it was not appropriate. Incidentally she also won senior by a huge margin as well. Good on her but it's very strange she would need to do both
I thought this was strange too. Aren't you either senior or Junior champion or is it just to prove her total domination as someone else said. Pretty sure your not allowed to do this in other countries like USA. Competing in two levels seems unnecessary especially if you have already one a senior and junior title

brookes1968

Rinkside
So many great skates this week.

Perhaps my award for the most grit goes to Amelia Sadler from NSW. She really had a tough time of it in both rounds of the junior ladies'event, as well as the senior ladies'short. Came back and went for it in the senior free with two good double axels, and didn't back off from an attempted triple salchow and triple loop.

Her coach seems to get so passionate watching his skates, and really shows his emotions. It is almost as much fun watching him react as it is seeing his skaters compete.

I was really impressed by Holly Harris and and Corina Ormston in Novice. It's so funny how Ormston, Amelia Jackson, and Bailey Warr are all bombshell blondes coached by the same team. It's like somebody has genetically cloned Kiira Korpi down under.
Jackson is def not coached by Sumners and has been training overseas. Interestingly she put her self on the ice which was very brave. Her style is very different to Warr and Ormston. She has been a pretty consistent competitor for the last few years and the Olympic website published an article about her being selected for Lillehamer.

Amelia Sadler tried very hard but I'm not sure trying to do two levels helped any of these girls including Chan and Pasfield. Only Pasfield got on the squad.

brookes1968

Rinkside
Toots, your ONLY posts since joining this site have been to bash on Kailani. Please don't. She is still Junior age-eligible and she was far from the only one dabbling in different levels. The boy who won the Novice men also competed as a Junior. And not all of the Senior ladies were Senior only - in fact, take away the double-ups and it's a pretty sick-looking field. It is Kailani's prerogative to compete both events, and there is nothing in the rules to preclude it. She herself is only 17 and there were other 16 and 17 year olds in Juniors. Also, if anything, she was actively making life harder for herself by doing both.

Excuse you? First, let's get this through your skull: the Australian judges have no power to hand Katie the scores for 4CCs. She would have to go onto the international circuit and get them, the same with everyone else. Secondly, I thought the judging was very circumspect and accurate the whole week. There was no massive inflations, scores were reasonably in line with what was achieved with similar performances internationally, and certainly no contentious decisions that I could discern.

I'm very sad to hear this. I did not see it, perhaps I am glad I did not.

It was actually a reasonably drama-free week. But then my previous experiences include the infamous Skate DownUnder blackout and Nationals coming to a halt because of excess fog, so I suppose my view of "drama-free" might be skewed...

Everyone I spoke to gushed about how soft they were. I could not justify the money and therefore did not want to waste the time of the fitter with a curiosity fitting, though I'd never have got the Flys, I was looking more at the Chorus.

Hmm. There were lots of really good costumes. My memories will tend to be skewed towards the end of the week because of brain overload. Let's see. Brooklee's costumes were both wonderful, and that onesie is :love:. Really loved Kailani's LP dress. Katie Pasfield also had a beautiful purplish-ombre type dress for the FS that was gorgeous. The Dodds boys were all extremely well-dressed but Andrew's two costumes were the best. Brendan's SP costume is much better looking up close and his LP costume is really gorgeous. Cameron Hemmert's LP costume was also really magnificent, it was black and red like most tangos but done in a way that looked great on him. Also loved Paris' dress for her and Matt's LP up close. James Min's LP costume was excellent. At the lower levels, Holly Harris' (Novice) costumes were gorgeous I thought and Ben Meeuwissen (Intermediate) had a great onesie with very simple effective rhinestoning. (All the onesies really stuck in my head this week. I hope this isn't my brain doing the subliminal messaging thing. Nobody wants to see me in a onesie.)

The misses: there were a few, the worst I can think of off the top of my head: Darian Kaptich's LP costume which was too bland for him, James Min's SP costume, Katie Pasfield's SP dress which kind of gave her the ghostly effect...there were more, but I can't think of them right now.
I don't think this person is bagging Kailani - you are not the only one that has a right to express a biased opinion. Adrian's costume in LP was very smart . Sadly Katie has not got the international scores at ISU comps at senior level

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't think this person is bagging Kailani - you are not the only one that has a right to express a biased opinion. Adrian's costume in LP was very smart . Sadly Katie has not got the international scores at ISU comps at senior level

toots' only posts since joining have been to bash Kailani - including their first post being to accuse Kailani of buying instagram followers.

I just remembered one of my other favourite costumes - Juan Camilo Yusti in the Intermediate Men. He actually had one of the best performances of the week too, and his face was just the best all the time, even when he stumbled, it never lost its fierce expression.

iskate

On the Ice
I just remembered one of my other favourite costumes - Juan Camilo Yusti in the Intermediate Men. He actually had one of the best performances of the week too, and his face was just the best all the time, even when he stumbled, it never lost its fierce expression.

So excited to see Camilo mentioned on here!! I train with him and have known him since he first started skating. The kid is very talented, he has only been skating for less than 2 years and I have already seen him landing double axels and attempting triples! He's so passionate about skating and supportive to the other skaters too. And yeah he is very sassy and fierce haha :hap10:

aussie_SKATES

On the Ice
So excited to see Camilo mentioned on here!! I train with him and have known him since he first started skating. The kid is very talented, he has only been skating for less than 2 years and I have already seen him landing double axels and attempting triples! He's so passionate about skating and supportive to the other skaters too. And yeah he is very sassy and fierce haha :hap10:

He was definitely all business during the Intermediate men's practice round.

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Yes I also witnessed it and it was very nasty. Another senior skaters mother also said behaviour on the ice was very aggressive as well of drunken antics of one parent and officials at national dinner

Agree here. Some of the younger skaters were very aware of drunk people saying inappropriate things that everyone overheard. Sadly some officials seemed to be encouraging and joining in laughing at other people. Not a very professional image and many parents unimpressed. For such an expensive sport they really need to be more professional and stop reinforcing our image as a land of drunken easy going party animals where boundaries are non existent between some parents/officials/judges