2015 Golden Spin of Zagreb Men | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2015 Golden Spin of Zagreb Men

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Adam's 4 Lz is detracting from his wonderful LP.

I'm confused; didn't Adam finish ahead of Adian in this comp?

Yes Adam won Silver and Adian Bronze.

Adam's LP is unfortunately geoblocked for me :sad21: but from my experience watching Adam's LPs and Adian's LPs this season, I find Adam's expression and performance skills far more advanced than Adian's.

Adam also has 9 years of maturity over Adian.

Adam's placement in this comp would lead me to believe the judges agreed. ETA: I have not seen protocols, and don't know Adam's scores on the elements).

Adam - TES 84.74 PCS 81.90 TSS 165.64

Adian - TES 80.97 PCS 72.50 TSS 153.47

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Congratulations to all the medalists, well deserved.

Denis is the class of the field. Superb! I am so impressed by his programs this year now he allows me a 'proper' look. Talk about a tough sell. Nothing is obvious, cliched, cheap thrills or predictable. I love he tries unrecognizable music, not lyrical nor monotonous steady beat music which are certainly easier to navigate around. It is about delivering the mood with clarity in the body movements purely, not compromise for cheap audience entertainment to justify reason of being. For it to work, he must be flawless and timed perfectly (Rather Yuna Kim in the more sophisticated approach and tougher concepts realisation towards the end of her career? effortlessly grand without overstatement. ie/ Going to take a while for the judges to mark this right). In terms of level of difficulty, artistic ambition, nuances, full realization of concept, it is certainly no lesser than other leading men's FS. It is a championship worthy quality program (the sort Daisuke seems to aspire to do towards the latter of his career). If all 4 skaters (Patrick, Hanyu, Javier, Dennis) have an art-off, I'd like to pick this one :agree:, and he has decent quality 4t3ts too! He may not skate big or powerful, but Denis is extremely well balanced and has a great feel for the music.

My gosh... what a fantastic come back, so happy for him. Let's face it, we are soo spoilt this season with the Men. It is like one after another, topping each other racing towards the WC. Soooo exciting!!! Please keep it together Denis until worlds. Yeah ~~~ Dennis is back in contention!

Honestly... I think it is going to be a bit unpredictable and tough at worlds. Is it humanly possible for Hanyu or Patrick to repeat what they did?!! Seriously... I would be rather amazed. By the way are these really Lori's work? I am surprised she still got it.. as it is good and interesting. Seems like Chinese figure federations skaters got a bad deal, full of spare 2nd hand rags, vs what Denis got got, the one-off Lori couture original.

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Honestly... I think it is going to be a bit unpredictable and tough at worlds. Is it humanly possible for Hanyu or Patrick to repeat what they did?!! Seriously... I would be rather amazed. By the way are these really Lori's work? I am surprised she still got it.. as it is good and interesting. Seems like Chinese figure federations skaters got a bad deal, full of spare 2nd hand rags, vs what Denis got got, the one-off Lori couture original.

I think it's not good to count that others will make enough mistakes. I feel like last days it is just race between discussion - will Hanyu make enough mistakes for Chan... Will Hanyu and Chan make enough mistakes for Ten and Fernandez, and so on.... I guess it's better when they all skate clean and count for that, not on who will make mistakes, so the other one can take it.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I think it's not good to count that others will make enough mistakes. I feel like last days it is just race between discussion - will Hanyu make enough mistakes for Chan... Will Hanyu and Chan make enough mistakes for Ten and Fernandez, and so on.... I guess it's better when they all skate clean and count for that, not on who will make mistakes, so the other one can take it.

Well.. if they all skate clean... it would be a true miracle, Hanyu will probably break 330, and I may start to goto Church and join the Choir again! :D

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Well.. if they all skate clean... it would be a miracle, Hanyu will probably break 330, and I may start to goto Church and join the Choir again! :D

You never know, maybe what Hanyu did +Boyang incoming will fire them all up :dev3:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
You never know, maybe what Hanyu did +Boyang incoming will fire them all up :dev3:

WC Men is going to be AMAZING!!!!!! Can you imagine the warm up, or practice, all those quads and quads combos?! Pffffftt.... breathless.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
WC Men is going to be AMAZING!!!!!! Can you imagine the warm up, or practice, all those quads and quads combos?! Pffffftt.... breathless.
I am not thinking yet about Worlds. GPF is incoming :dev2:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

That makes me wonder... is there a point where we may need to start thinking about having fewer guys on the ice during warm ups/practice. I don't really don't know the logistics, but would all the quads not mean more skaters going faster more of the time plus jumping farther more often? Is there a point where it might become to congested? I want skaters to be able to do what they feel they need to at these times so if they ever started to say it was getting difficult to do what the need... I hope it would at least be discussed.

Please note I am not in anyway hoping for crashes... nor am I saying I am expecting crashes, or that they are inevitable, i am not even saying I think we are at this point yet. I am just asking people who know more than me if they think it is something that is on people's radar or should be on the table for discussion.

Barb

Record Breaker
OMG!!! Denis was AWSOME, the music is great, his positions, for me he is the male version of Mao, pure elegance!!!:love:

Interspectator

Record Breaker

Thanks! Denis is back in form! 96TES is wonderful.
I have the same feelings about this as I did with his SP, but I like the choreo more for this program. It has potential to be great, as soon as he puts a bit more into the transitions and more energy to match the music.
Wow, WC is going to be so intense.
The front runners all have quite strong programs.

artsciboy

On the Ice
So happy to see that Denis got his mojo back! Not sure I love his programs this year (maybe they will grow on me), but good to see something different. Looking forward to seeing him build on this, because he really is a Gold-medal threat at any competition. He just needs to stay focused and confident!

Like the commentator, I am loving Adam's LP. He performs it so well - I hope he rocks it out at Nationals! Good to see him medal here!

MIM

Medalist
Congratulations to all the medalists, well deserved.

Denis is the class of the field. Superb! I am so impressed by his programs this year now he allows me a 'proper' look. Talk about a tough sell. Nothing is obvious, cliched, cheap thrills or predictable. I love he tries unrecognizable music, not lyrical nor monotonous steady beat music which are certainly easier to navigate around. It is about delivering the mood with clarity in the body movements purely, not compromise for cheap audience entertainment to justify reason of being. For it to work, he must be flawless and timed perfectly (Rather Yuna Kim in the more sophisticated approach and tougher concepts realisation towards the end of her career? effortless grand without overstatement. ie/ Going to take a while for the judges to mark this right). In terms of level of difficulty, artistic ambition, nuances, full realization of concept, it is certainly no lesser than other leading men's FS. It is a championship worthy quality program (the sort Daisuke seems to aspire to do towards the latter of his career). If all 4 skaters (Patrick, Hanyu, Javier, Dennis) have an art-off, I'd like to pick this one :agree:, and he has decent quality 4t3ts too! He may not skate big or powerful, but Denis is extremely well balanced and has a great feel for the music.

:2thumbs: ALL exactly my thoughts and feelings! Thank you for putting into the words beautifully! Couldn't have said any better.
LOL, he has my vote, too.
My gosh... what a fantastic come back, so happy for him. Let's face it, we are soo spoilt this season with the Men. It is like one after another, topping each other racing towards the WC. Soooo exciting!!! Please keep it together Denis until worlds. Yeah ~~~ Dennis is back in contention!
:ghug:

:laugh2:It says so in Wiki. Bravo Lori for putting this amazing concept together! Just a little more finesse?
I feel for Han. What a waste of talent....

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I'm really impressed by Denis' both programs and elegant performances to the grand music. He has worked his way up from the injured states to here. I've felt he tried to convey a message like how little human beings are in front of God, and despite being mortal, the man in the programs would not easily surrender to his given fate. The music also makes me think about his father to have been ill. I think the music choice perhaps came from Ten's experience on that, although this could be a wild guess of mine.

Anyway, the Boston Worlds will be really exciting since the top tier will be packed with so many talents. I think the current PCS for Ten are too low given his execution and musicality even with some mistakes but let's see what happens in the next stages; 4CC, Worlds.

Lori did the great job for D10 again, but I'm also with the opinion that Han Yan with great skating skills has never received such splendid choreographic works from her yet. It's a real shame.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I'm also with the opinion that Han Yan with great skating skills has never received such splendid choreographic works from her yet. It's a real shame.

I'm of the opinion that Sui & Han and Shen & Zhao received excellent choreography from Lori. I'm of the opinion that Han Yan is not yet a mature performer; and when he becomes one, we will know it. He selected Sing Sing Sing himself, and it doesn't fit him. I thought his free last season was a good fit. He isn't as versatile as Denis or Sui & Han. Very few human beings are. They could sell anything.

Denis's Sing, Sing, Sing from the 2010 Worlds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXdqWue23F0

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I'm of the opinion that Sui & Han and Shen & Zhao received excellent choreography from Lori. I'm of the opinion that Han Yan is not yet a mature performer; and when he becomes one, we will know it. He selected Sing Sing Sing himself, and it doesn't fit him. I thought his free last season was a good fit. He isn't as versatile as Denis or Sui & Han. Very few human beings are. They could sell anything.

Denis's Sing, Sing, Sing from the 2010 Worlds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXdqWue23F0

That Sing, Sing, Sing by Denis was choreographed by Mme Tarasova, not by Lori Nicole. But thank you for bringing it into here to brush up my memory that how talented Denis was in such an young age. You're of course entitled to you opinion, but I've expressed my agreement on the opinion that Lori does not care about Han as much as Denis considering all goofy and meaningless and somewhat ugly choreographic moves in Han's works, especially this season's SP. Versatile choreographers can make their clients look great in their performance by emphasizing their strength and ostensibly making their weakness unnoticeable. Until Han gets into a top tier status, I doubt Lori is quite a good fit for Han.

Last edited:

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
A very impressive technical performance from Denis to easily win here being honest though I don't like either of his programmes. He seems lost in the music and at times it seemed a bit empty, I don't see this programme in its current form challenging Hanyu, Chan, Javier, Uno for a worlds medal. A good skate from Rippon, apart from the 4Lz, the jumps were on. He sells the programme well but I'm not sure what the vocals add to the programme/performance but I would have that complaint with pretty much every programme with vocals. He probably got the best reaction from the (very small) crowd.

Pikteev had a decent skate after a bit of a rocky start, I like this programme for him, I would expect him to be on the team for Euros and Worlds. I like Gorshkovs skating and style, I thought he could have been give a little more in the PCS, he had some shaky jumps and ended up just of the podium. I have really enjoyed Morris K here, he certainly has his own style and his programmes look much better when the jumps are there.

I have enjoyed the female commentator. She is a huge Adam Rippon fan and made it clear. She like Gorshkov but was not impressed with his see through top and talked for some time about his nipples and said he should probably have got a costume deduction.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
That Sing, Sing, Sing by Denis was choreographed by Mme Tarasova, not by Lori Nicole.

Yes. (I included the clip as my example of performance versatility). But the initial comment above said "The Chinese skaters" and Lori, as I mentioned, did wonderful choreo--IMO--for Sui & Han this season.

I think she has two modes. One for the athletes that have performance maturity and one for the athletes that struggle. I call the latter "The Lori Nichol treatment." Timothy Goebel's An American in Paris is my best example. It showcases a more struggling performer in a classy light. This is the treatment I think Han Yan is getting now.

Would another choreographer work better for him? Perhaps. But I don't think he could handle Tarasova's A-Level choreography either. There's a point, though, where many athletes break through. And sometimes it happens with a change of choreographers. Miller did it with Shen & Zhao. Tchernyshev deserves some credit with the Shibs. It may happen with Han Yan. We'll see. I think he's still learning who he is as a performer.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Whoaaaa, what the? Denis Tens LP is a choreographic work of art. It's super sophisticated and very avant garde.