2015 Golden Spin of Zagreb Ladies | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2015 Golden Spin of Zagreb Ladies

kalle

On the Ice
If this was Nationals, Karen would have scorded 130+ ;-)

It is really nice to see how things come together, she has so much natural talent !

I know it is not COP friendly but I wish she would hold out her movements a bit more as she really hits some beautiful positions.

I wonder what way the judges will for that third place finish at Nationals..If they will be harsh on UR's, it seems likely that Hicks will get the nod at this point.

Such a shame Wang could not hold it together in the second part. She seems a bit slow comparing to Chen but I like her program.

Good for Liza getting better but that program should go straight to the bin. She is not a Plushenko and these over dramatic programs just don't do her any good.. I would even love her to bring back that latino program she had some seasons ago.

Adelina is Adelina. I was certainly not expecting her to have a consistent season, she never had ! But, I still think she is the most appealing lady out there along with Mao, Ashley and Osmond.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
woooo just saw Liz!
She's back but now the combos pls!
so happy for my gal:yahoo:
Now Im less worried about the Nats!
Sad for Ade (((( such great programms & no excellent tech to back it up
Elizabeth is fine. Yes she doesnt evoke my emotions like other gals do but she's lovely to watch
& Yep Karen seems like a solid choice for US #3. huge potential

Procrastinator

On the Ice
The issue for Adelina does seem to be a fitness one to an extent. Most of the triples are more consistent than what we saw from her in 2013-14 GP series. She only has problems rotating the triple toe in combination and not popping the flip (usually the one intended to be in combination). This time around, at least she has specific areas to focus on. Not like the 2013 GPF where she fell on one thing and that led her to fall on the next and stumble on the next and so on. That's the difference here imo.

That said, she needs clean skates soon or else the judges might lose faith and start dragging her PCS down

skfan

Final Flight
If this was Nationals, Karen would have scorded 130+ ;-)

It is really nice to see how things come together, she has so much natural talent !

I know it is not COP friendly but I wish she would hold out her movements a bit more as she really hits some beautiful positions.

I wonder what way the judges will for that third place finish at Nationals..If they will be harsh on UR's, it seems likely that Hicks will get the nod at this point.

Such a shame Wang could not hold it together in the second part. She seems a bit slow comparing to Chen but I like her program.

Since I'm the old fogey who prefers effortless-looking stroking, I'm happy that Angela Wang gets across the ice without visibly pumping up and down on her crossovers (most of the time). I understand that other fans prefer skating with more ta-dah! impact, and I respect that---to each his own.

Now, Karen Chen's spins and spirals and projection are first rate, as Dick Button would say, and her lovely hand movements show her attention to refining even the smaller details of her program. I'd rather Angela learn from Karen's example in those areas. I quite agree with you-- it would be wonderful if Karen's choreography could somehow give those gorgeous moments a few more seconds so fans can appreciate them even more--all without costing COP points, of course :)

Yes, it will be quite the fight for the third spot at US Nationals. Each of the leading candidates (Edmonds, Chen, Hicks) has made a good case for herself, IMHO. Mirai Nagasu also.

Very impressed with all three of the Russian ladies. I know Adelina's jumps abandoned her in the second half, but I'm happy that the ease of movement she learned on DTWS has stayed with her. And I hope Anni from Finland bounces back at her next competition.

Last edited:

matscol

Rinkside
Yes, it will be quite the fight for the third spot at US Nationals. Each of the leading candidates (Edmonds, Chen, Hicks) has made a good case for herself, IMHO. Mirai Nagasu also.

US Ladies (other than Ashley and Gracie) scoring over 160 this season internationally (best score listed first, other scores >160 in parentheses, Golden Spin scores with asterisks):

Polina Edmunds: 183.20 (168.69)
Courtney Hicks: 183.12 (166.00, 162.85)
Karen Chen: 175.93 (*175.35*, 172.54)
Mirai Nagasu: 175.64 (169.38)
Tyler Pierce: 171.72 (162.69)
Angela Wang: 166.80 (*163.41*)
Mariah Bell: 160.94

mrrice

Record Breaker
The issue for Adelina does seem to be a fitness one to an extent. Most of the triples are more consistent than what we saw from her in 2013-14 GP series. She only has problems rotating the triple toe in combination and not popping the flip (usually the one intended to be in combination). This time around, at least she has specific areas to focus on. Not like the 2013 GPF where she fell on one thing and that led her to fall on the next and stumble on the next and so on. That's the difference here imo.

That said, she needs clean skates soon or else the judges might lose faith and start dragging her PCS down

I agree with all who mentioned Adelina's fitness. I always tell my dancers that skating may look easy but it's so difficult. Especially when you're tired. In dance if you fall off releve' and finish your turn flat footed.....There's no replay camera to bust you. In skating it must be difficult to put under rotations out of your mind and keep performing at a high level.

I would love to hear these skaters talk about their flaws in an educational way. I think it would be very good for young skaters to hear how some of the Vets Like Ashley have overcome this problem. I think it also be interesting to hear what may cause a skater like Polina or Mirai to Chronically under rotate their jumps.

I'd love to hear the coaches discuss this problem and how they deal with it. Frank and Tom Z. both had Mirai and I'd also like to hear what Mishin has to say on the subject.

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I have to say... Elizaveta LP is just terrible, terrible. Did really Lambiel worked on that ? If so, then I guess he did the job and Mr Mishin just throwed away everything apart from the jumps, because there is nothing left beside it. I like Elizaveta a lot but if this would be judged properly PCS should be really low....

Last edited:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I like Karen Chen a lot, but the protocols show 3 underrotations. She is under on the 3T in her combo, the 3F and her solo 3Z. I'm not wishing anything bad for her, but she really needs to clean up the technique or in a few years she will be like Ashley, Mirai, and Polina (possibly) where the bad habits are nearly impossible to correct.

gmyers

Record Breaker
New edge rule so bad for sotnikova when she's lazy on lutz edge and not focused like in sochi. Same old ridiculous problems with second flip. That's same old same old. UR on triple toes is new and bad.

andyjo24

Medalist
New edge rule so bad for sotnikova when she's lazy on lutz edge and not focused like in sochi. Same old ridiculous problems with second flip. That's same old same old. UR on triple toes is new and bad.

It's not a matter of whether she's focused or not... She always had a flutz, even in Sochi...

ericpkh98

Rinkside
Congrats liza for coming back and finally landing the axel. Congrats also for the silver and bronze medalists.
To add a comment, sixth place in challenger series certainly seems impressive for a career-flat olympic champion (blah) I've seen sixth place in worlds but never seen sixth place in challenger series. This is certainly groundbreaking, isn't it?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Congrats liza for coming back and finally landing the axel. Congrats also for the silver and bronze medalists.
To add a comment, sixth place in challenger series certainly seems impressive for a career-flat olympic champion (blah) I've seen sixth place in worlds but never seen sixth place in challenger series. This is certainly groundbreaking, isn't it?

That is perhaps how she proves herself. :laugh:

Sincerely, I wish she manages to get on board of Russian World team by landing all *triples* including her fr**king high flutz at her beloved *home* though. We need more excitement in ladies' figure skating these days. :party2:

fruitbasket

Rinkside
Whether focused or not, Sotnikova has poor jump/ edge techniques included in Sochi Olympic game.....I do not know how she gets Olympic champion title?