British Championships 2015, 1-6 December | Page 2 | Golden Skate

British Championships 2015, 1-6 December

Icebethy

Rinkside
Country
Wales
Just looked at the results of the Ladies SP.

What on Earth happened Karly Robertson that she is down in 6th position?! Like, it's not as if she fell!

And Katie Powell one place ahead of her?! Admittedly, Katie did fall, but I still would have expected her to be higher.

Well done to Nina Povey for taking the overnight lead. I'd never heard tell of Nina before this week, so I'm really impressed.

But not anywhere near as impressed as I am with Zoe Jones. Third place in the SP, and only 0.22 points behind Danielle Harrison in 2nd.

Bearing in mind that Zoe is 20 years older than Danielle, and that is remarkable. :clap: :rock: :points:

To put things in perspective, Danielle was not even 1 year old when Zoe won her first British Senior Ladies title! :eek:

Just shows you that if you are good enough and talented enough, you can still do it against the youngsters!

Oh, I really hope Zoe can stay on the podium!!!

But, there is less than 5 points covering 2nd position to 9th position. And I fully expect Karly and Katie to make up places in the FS. Although any of the Top 9 have a realistic chance of getting on the podium, I think Karly and Katie will put up the biggest challenge to those that are already on it.

It will be a really exciting FS, and I am fascinated to find out what happens!

CaroLiza_fan

The ladies fp will be crazy.

Hopefully tomorrow the rink will be busier also since it looks quieter than last year which was pretty quiet

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The ladies fp will be crazy.

Hopefully tomorrow the rink will be busier also since it looks quieter than last year which was pretty quiet

Just had a look at the draw for the Ladies FS:

StN.NameNation
Warm-Up Group 1
1Anastasia VAIPAN-LAWDDE
2Lucy-Anne WALKERBRA
3Rowena MACKESSACK-LEITCHMOR
4Deborah BELLOXF
5Bryony CORRIGAN-RATTRAYHUL
6Natasha MCKAYDDE
Warm-Up Group 2
7Zoe WILKINSONSWI
8Nina POVEYSOL
9Katie POWELLNISA
10Michelle CALLISONDDE
11Danielle HARRISONDDE
12Karly ROBERTSONDDE

For me, Danielle and Karly are going to be at a major advantage. Although they won't know exactly what happened, they will have some idea of how Zoe, Nina and Katie got on in their Free's. And they can adjust their plans accordingly.

Going at the start of the group is definitely putting Zoe and Nina on the back foot. All they can do is go out there and skate as best as they can and hope nobody after them does better.

I've said it so many times that I'm going to sound like a stuck record, but I really wish that it was compulsory to have the FS start in the reverse order of how the SP finished. Apart from anything else, it makes it easier for the fans to follow!

Oh well!

All the best to those skating in all the competitions today!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
So much for my theory... Zoe only went out and won the FS!!!! :jaw:

It wasn't enough to win the title, though. Zoe finished up 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] overall, only 0.09 behind Danielle Harrison.

Danielle was in 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] in the Free Skate, only 0.13 behind Zoe.

:cheer: Congratulations to both of them!!! :cheer:

Short Programme winner Nina Povey was 5.23 points back of Danielle in 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] in the Free Skate, which left her 4rd overall, 1.56 behind Zoe.

So, it was the same 3 on the podium at the end as it was after the SP, but just in a different order.

As suspected, Karly Robertson did make progress in the Free Skate. But it was only to 4[SUP]th[/SUP] position. And she was still well off the pace of the podium finishers in the Free Skate. There again, she had a fall in the FS (the triple salchow), whereas the girls ahead of her didn't fall.

Rather than making up ground, Katie Powell had an even worse Free Skate. She was 7[SUP]th[/SUP] in the FS with a score of 66.22. That is not the sort of score you expect from somebody like her. Mind you, having a fall on the triple salchow, and doing 2 triple toes and under-rotating both of them probably didn't help!

Right, can anybody shed some light on what Jenna McCorkell meant by her comment on this photo she posted of Danielle with the trophy?

https://www.instagram.com/p/-9qLHjiJw_n45wi27H9S65uHLuX1QNGApePIM0/

There were also other replies along the same vein on the copy of the photo on Jenna's Facebook, but the photo is set to "Friends Only" on there.

One person commented:

"Congratulations Dani. Well deserved you skated out of your skin. Difficult situation and you handled yourself with great maturity."

...while another said:

"She was the winner in our eyes, beautiful clean skate. With 4 triples - wow ⛸ and still only 15 congratulations Danielle Harrison"
[Emoticons removed by CaroLiza_fan, because I don't know the equivalent ones on here!]

I take it that there was some sort of controversy over something. Unfortunately, I was doing other things over the weekend, so didn't get to watch. :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Right, found another comment from Lorna Brown.

ZOE JONES - Mrs. Zoe Ann Wilkinson Mother of 3 kids comes back and did not win THE BRITISH CHAMPIONSHIPS". Some discrepancy over the results? Really bad that it was already up that she had won. She did win the FP.
SHE COMES BACK AFTER 15 YEARS OFF AND GETS THE SILVER after the results went up all over the internet that she had won.
Good luck for the rest of the season to all the British Skaters, but next time when you are not happy with a result are you all going to object?
No More Comments

https://www.facebook.com/lornaskater/posts/10153317181303947

This sounds messy!

I still don't know for sure what's going on, but to me it sounds like Zoe was declared the winner, and then a protest was put in.

I'm intrigued now!

CaroLiza_fan

Icebethy

Rinkside
Country
Wales
After the ladies fp, Zoe was announced as the winner only for the marks to be recalculate as they missed a single toe off the end of one of Danni jumps which was a repeated jump, tech called but it wasn't data entered.

So then at the podium it was announced to everyone else, some of the response wasn't great, but no one deserved that response. So it was kind of bitter sweet, the original score out Zoe 1.3 points ahead after both programs

Icebethy

Rinkside
Country
Wales
Right, found another comment from Lorna Brown.

ZOE JONES - Mrs. Zoe Ann Wilkinson Mother of 3 kids comes back and did not win THE BRITISH CHAMPIONSHIPS". Some discrepancy over the results? Really bad that it was already up that she had won. She did win the FP.
SHE COMES BACK AFTER 15 YEARS OFF AND GETS THE SILVER after the results went up all over the internet that she had won.
Good luck for the rest of the season to all the British Skaters, but next time when you are not happy with a result are you all going to object?
No More Comments

https://www.facebook.com/lornaskater/posts/10153317181303947

This sounds messy!

I still don't know for sure what's going on, but to me it sounds like Zoe was declared the winner, and then a protest was put in.

I'm intrigued now!

CaroLiza_fan

I have said what I know, I was there.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
After the ladies fp, Zoe was announced as the winner only for the marks to be recalculate as they missed a single toe off the end of one of Danni jumps which was a repeated jump, tech called but it wasn't data entered.

So then at the podium it was announced to everyone else, some of the response wasn't great, but no one deserved that response. So it was kind of bitter sweet, the original score out Zoe 1.3 points ahead after both programs

:thank: Thank you.

So, basically, somebody was too quick to announce the results before the judges were finished their checks. :rolleye: :bang:

That sort of thing shouldn't happen. It's not fair on anybody, especially the skaters.

But, for some of the audience to react badly to the skaters?! No, that is not right. It wasn't the skaters' fault that somebody back stage messed up.

Shame on them! They can't be true fans.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Icebethy

Rinkside
Country
Wales
I think it was just simply missed in the data entry. The only thing that I am confuse is that I thought the pdf once online for all to see is final and then cannot be changed, but I was obviously wrong and it can be changed till the podium.

It shouldn't happen but it has, however Zoe still won the night and missed the top of the podium by 0.09 a massive feat by someone who grew up in the 6.0 era and has had to learn ijs. The way they announced it was hard as instead of doing the podiums in order they left the ladies till last, and as I have heard the skaters had only just been told before the audience. Everyone is moaning that people booed a 16 year old, but irrespective of age it shouldn't happen to any skater of any age its jus not fair!

When watching the ladies there was an energy in the building that hasn't been there in the last couple of years, so in a way that part is good, hopefully deepening the strength of British ladies/British skating, hopefully.

Nick and Penny gave an amazing performance, same with Peter James and Phil. The gala that NISA has started running over the past few years at the end of the event was really good as always, all of this is stored on the live stream links as well I think as the podiums which have been posted up until Saturday, I have not looked for Sundays.

Icebethy

Edit ISU were contacted and helped sort the issue out following the isu rules on what to do with the issue in the ladies therefore the change was done within the rules and with isu knowing.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I think it was just simply missed in the data entry. The only thing that I am confuse is that I thought the pdf once online for all to see is final and then cannot be changed, but I was obviously wrong and it can be changed till the podium.

It shouldn't happen but it has, however Zoe still won the night and missed the top of the podium by 0.09 a massive feat by someone who grew up in the 6.0 era and has had to learn ijs. The way they announced it was hard as instead of doing the podiums in order they left the ladies till last, and as I have heard the skaters had only just been told before the audience. Everyone is moaning that people booed a 16 year old, but irrespective of age it shouldn't happen to any skater of any age its jus not fair!

When watching the ladies there was an energy in the building that hasn't been there in the last couple of years, so in a way that part is good, hopefully deepening the strength of British ladies/British skating, hopefully.

Nick and Penny gave an amazing performance, same with Peter James and Phil. The gala that NISA has started running over the past few years at the end of the event was really good as always, all of this is stored on the live stream links as well I think as the podiums which have been posted up until Saturday, I have not looked for Sundays.

Icebethy

Right enough! It hadn't dawned on me that this would have been the first season that Zoe was competing under the new system. That makes it all the more impressive what she achieved!

As for the PDF, I hadn't thought of looking it up until this morning. So, I don't know how they went about uploading it. But, I was repeatedly trying to look up the web version of the results yesterday evening, and kept getting a 404 error on both the Ladies FS and the Ladies SP pages. Which I thought was odd, especially since the Pairs FS Result was appearing (I didn't try any others).

Incidentally, the Ladies SP is still coming up as a 404 error. So, they must have forgotten that they had taken it down as well as the FS.

Hang on. So it was for hours that everybody had thought Zoe had won. From what you said at first, I thought this scenario had only played out over a few minutes.

From what you describe, the whole thing was handled very badly. I don't how long it took for the mistake to be discovered, but the skaters should have been told straight away, and the audience straight afterwards. It should not have been left until the podium ceremony.

I am very interested to see what NISA say about it. Because, after something like this happening, they have to put out a statement.

EDIT: Just saw the bit you added to your previous comment. That would probably explain why it took so long to get sorted.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Icebethy

Rinkside
Country
Wales
Right enough! It hadn't dawned on me that this would have been the first season that Zoe was competing under the new system. That makes it all the more impressive what she achieved!

CaroLiza_fan

Well, Zoe had done a few adults under IJS but only since 2014, so still relatively new.

The pdf went up about 5 minutes after the last skater skated the lp in ladies. I have the old version downloaded on my phone. I think the skaters might have known as well as the judges and officials pretty soon after the lp that they were reviewing it but the skaters didn't find out until close to the podium im thinking that was the delay in the ladies podium as none of the ladies were in the waiting area when podiums started. But what's happened, happened. Everyone involved skated well, and both ladies involved handled themselves well on the podium. It will be interesting what happens in terms of statements

Icebethy

Loubee

Spectator
Eleanor HIRST skated the entire Free program with a torn ligament in her leg from a collision in warm-up. Still got bronze - Amazing!

Loubee

Spectator
Wow...huge score for novices! I hope they can keep improving and do well on the JGP when they move up. They sound very promising!

GAVIN and BARTER won the British Championships at Basic Novice Dance with a score of 54.61!!

Icebethy

Rinkside
Country
Wales
Eleanor HIRST skated the entire Free program with a torn ligament in her leg from a collision in warm-up. Still got bronze - Amazing!

I forgot about that, although I didn't know what damage she had done but she looked in a lot of pain walking to the podium. They did so well to skate first after the warm up too with that crash