Alina Ustimkina & Nikita Volodin | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Alina Ustimkina & Nikita Volodin

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Honestly, I feel like they will be a huge threat very soon.
She, especially, has the vibe of a future champion.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Alina & Nikita will start their season next week in Saint Petersburg. Mishina/Mirzoev will be there also.

For some reason Russian Fed haven't assigned them to any JGP event yet. I think that was a major mistake by the Fed because now They will have to compete at the last two pairs' events which will be crowded with TOP pairs. If they had been assigned to earlier events they would have had a lot better chances to make it to the final.

hanca

Record Breaker
Alina & Nikita will start their season next week in Saint Petersburg. Mishina/Mirzoev will be there also.

For some reason Russian Fed haven't assigned them to any JGP event yet. I think that was a major mistake by the Fed because now They will have to compete at the last two pairs' events which will be crowded with TOP pairs. If they had been assigned to earlier events they would have had a lot better chances to make it to the final.

If they are any good, they will get to the final anyway. If they improved, why couldn't they beat the Pair from Ukraine or Czech Republic? Or either of the Russian pairs. If they can't beat them, maybe they don't deserve to be in the final yet.

The Finn

Record Breaker
If they are any good, they will get to the final anyway. If they improved, why couldn't they beat the Pair from Ukraine or Czech Republic? Or either of the Russian pairs. If they can't beat them, maybe they don't deserve to be in the final yet.

So, based on your logic it would have been totally fine if Russia would have fielded Mishina/Mirzoev, Atakhanova/Spiridonov, Borisova/Sopot, Alina Z, Polina T and Nastia G for JGP Russia?

Better yet, Russian Fed should have put Polina to JGP France because if she can't make it to the final in any event then she doesn't deserve to be there, right.

hanca

Record Breaker
So, based on your logic it would have been totally fine if Russia would have fielded Mishina/Mirzoev, Atakhanova/Spiridonov, Borisova/Sopot, Alina Z, Polina T and Nastia G for JGP Russia?

Better yet, Russian Fed should have put Polina to JGP France because if she can't make it to the final in any event then she doesn't deserve to be there, right.

Well, my logic tells me that no matter how lucky they may be to avoid too good competitors at JGP, they will have to fight them at nationals and at junior worlds anyway, so maybe coming face-to-face with hard competitors is not such a bad thing as you are making it. The Russian junior ladies are so great not because they can choose the easiest competitors they want to compete against, but because they have to fight against each other and learn to deliver under pressure. That's my logic.

And to second part of your question, I don't really care where Russian federation puts Polina. If she is as great as she was last year, she will win no matter where she competes, if she is not as great, she will have to try harder.

Last edited:

The Finn

Record Breaker
Well, my logic tells me that no matter how lucky they may be to avoid too good competitors at JGP, they will have to fight them at nationals and at junior worlds anyway, so maybe coming face-to-face with hard competitors is not such a bad thing as you are making it.

The aim is to make it to the final. That is why it is very rare that any federation would put their best skaters to the same event and that is also why it is pretty rare that one JGP event would have many TOP skaters. Once the entries are known the federations usually switch their skaters if it looks like there are too many TOP skaters at the event. They do it because they know that there will be other JGP event where their skaters have better shot at making it to the final.

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
The aim is to make it to the final. That is why it is very rare that any federation would put their best skaters to the same event and that is also why it is pretty rare that one JGP event would have many TOP skaters. Once the entries are known the federations usually switch their skaters if it looks like there are too many TOP skaters at the event. They do it because they know that there will be other JGP event where their skaters have better shot at making it to the final.
That's where you are wrong. The aim should not be only to get to JGPF. The aim should be to be better than all the competitors, so that one doesn't have to worry against whom they are going to compete. Not getting to JGPF didn't hurt Mishina/Mirzoev last season. They went home, worked hard, entered every internal competition they could to get some more competitive experience and at the end of the season they got world medal. If a pair will be striving to get to JGPF through luck and easier events, that doesn't bode well for their success in the long term, because sooner or later they will have to face those competitors that they luckily managed to avoid.

The Finn

Record Breaker
That's where you are wrong.

I am definitely not wrong. For example Roman Savosin is a good example of good strategy and because of that he might very well make it to the final. He was assigned to the two of the earliest events which usually are a bit weaker events than the rest. Now he has a great opportunity to gain international experience and also to gain some reputation especially if he does make it to the final. Most definitely well played by him if it was his desire to skate at the 1st and 2nd JGP event.

hanca

Record Breaker
Watching Ustimkina gives me flashbacks of Davankova. Ustimkina has beautiful lines, lovely long legs, but I hope she won't grow much more. She seems quite tall now.

What was wrong with Volodin? Bad jump, messed up spin...

NaVi

Medalist
Hmmm... the music is painful to my ears(though that could be because of where the camera is) and the choreography doesn't do much to fit to the music.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What is the "music" for the SP? Does anyone know?

The Lp is "Aria" by the Balanescu quartet, I think.

Last edited: