2015-16 Grand Prix Final Mens Free Skate | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final Mens Free Skate

Rissa

Record Breaker
Agreed! But I want to see someone skating as well as Hanyu soon enough, because he's skating heads and shoulders above anyone else. I love a fierce competition for the gold.

As a Hanyu fan, I don't mind the domination, as long as all others do their best too because their best is nothing to sneeze at. :luv17: Fierce cimpetitoin for silver could be just as good. And if Denis remains true to his pattern, the fight for the podium at Worlds could be spectacular: Yuzuru as the front runner with the possibility of others sneaking in if he doesn't deliver like last year, then the exchange of blows/quads between Javi, Patrick, Denis, Shoma, even Boyang could make it. Looks great!

Khoai

Match Penalty
Agreed! But I want to see someone skating as well as Hanyu soon enough, because he's skating heads and shoulders above anyone else. I love a fierce competition for the gold.
You need someone with big jumps and flow as Mr. Hanyu, with higher BV and good technique as well, not those cheated techniques. As I have seen, even Mr. Fernandez and Mr. Chan don't have as good jumps as Mr. Hanyu when he is on. They need to be the same good spinner as he is, not some sloppy spin positions. They better have Mr. Chan's skating skill because no one is better than Mr. Hanyu's SS right now, only Mr. Chan.
Of course Mr. Hanyu must deliver to win, and his standard is high so he will always push pressure on himself to be clean. And he will add the 4Loop next season so he will have some struggles with it I think. However as I see it, when Mr. Hanyu is clean like NHK and GPF... the rest should forget about gold.

Last edited:

chairmanmao

Final Flight
That wouldn't be good, there's no sense in limiting anything like that. If you can do many of them, you should be rewarded.

PCS's weight should just be increased. Say, increase the factor to 1.2 so that the maximum possible is 120, which currently is close to the max for TES as well.

Patrick Chan and Jason Brown would be thrilled with that. Say hello to 110 PCS and zero quad programs.

gnom

On the Ice
Men's has been my fav discipline for a long time but this men's free skate event was the best ever and the very best I've experienced live. Each and every single men's free skate was worth the trip to Barcelona. I am especially happy for Shoma and looking forward to his further development. His skating is as soft as butter. Hope his jumps will last.
The atmosphere in the rink was completely unbiased - ok, understandably heavy cheering for Javier - and supportive for good skating regardless of nationality. Appreciate that so much. A Japanese fan was sitting next to me equipped with a very large Japanese flag which she couldn't hold on her own. Of course I was more than happy to wave the Japanese flag with her for Shoma & Yuzuru & Daisuke.

I am back full of wonderful memories.

Kelly

On the Ice
To me, figure skating is a sport (a beautiful sport), so TES is more important than PCS to me especially for men.
I always don't like the winner wins when his TES score is more than 10 points behind the others but his PCS score makes up the
gap. Why think of changing the limitation for PCS scoring just because Yuzuru's TEC is 20 points more than his PCS in the FS here?
I think we can wait to think about that when he or someone else or in other discipline gets all 10s in PCS.:laugh:

Last edited:

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
To me, figure skating is a sport (a beautiful sport), so TES is more important than PCS to me especially for men.
I always don't like the winner wins when his TES score is more than 10 points behind the others but his PCS score makes up the
gap. Why think of changing the limitation for PCS scoring just because Yuzuru's TEC is 20 points more than his PCS in the FS here?
I think we can wait to think about that when he or someone else or in other discipline gets all 10s in PCS.:laugh:

ITA. I don;t like when skaters winning with TES +10 points being lower than PCS. Of course it does happened more frequently in ladies skater than in men, before the russian babies turn senior.

Danibellerika

Medalist

I agree with this. The PCS can still make a huge difference for most skaters. People still have their strengths and weaknesses.

Plisskin

Medalist
I disagree that TES should be more important in skating. If that is the case, let's get rid of things like the music, costumes, interpretation, skating skills, transitions, and so on, and just make this a jumping contest. I love that skaters like Hanyu are upping the technical ante. But what makes skaters like him so great is that he has the complete package. Great technical skills as well as performance, skating skills, etc.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I disagree that TES should be more important in skating. If that is the case, let's get rid of things like the music, costumes, interpretation, skating skills, transitions, and so on, and just make this a jumping contest. I love that skaters like Hanyu are upping the technical ante. But what makes skaters like him so great is that he has the complete package. Great technical skills as well as performance, skating skills, etc.

She didn't say to get rid of PCS altogether. Just that there is no need to change PCS scoring to make it easier for skaters w/less tech to win against the very rare skater who breaks 100 TES, which I agree with. I don't think playing it safe w/easier layouts & coasting on your reputation & skating skills should be encouraged.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
She didn't say to get rid of PCS altogether. Just that there is no need to change PCS scoring to make it easier for skaters w/less tech to win against the very rare skater who breaks 100 TES, which I agree with. I don't think playing it safe w/easier layouts & coasting on your reputation & skating skills should be encouraged.

1) Four out of the six men who skated had TES at or above 100, and a 5th (Chan) had TES just under 97 - close enough that it makes no difference. How is TES of 100 rare if 83% of the men competing here achieved it, or nearly achieved it?

2) Why do you assume that someone with one quad or without any quads is playing it safe or coasting on reputation?

3) Should the minimum requirement for placing at a competition really be the ability to execute multiple quads in a program, with PCS and other elements like spins just useful to distinguish between places 1,2, and 3, like so much frosting on a cake?

Quite honestly, I loved Hanyu's FS performance, but it wasn't the quads that made me love it.

kaarle

Rinkside
1) Four out of the six men who skated had TES at or above 100, and a 5th (Chan) had TES just under 97 - close enough that it makes no difference. How is TES of 100 rare if 83% of the men competing here achieved it, or nearly achieved it?

I think it's still too early to say that TES 100+ will be a regular occurrence. The men skated extremely well at GPF but how often will they be able to replicate these performances?

Before GPF there were only three men who managed to get pass the 100 TES (Chan, Hanyu, Ten). Now we added three other men (Uno, Jin, Fernandez).

The TES 100+ was reached nine times so far. Once for Chan, Ten, Uno, Jin, Fernandez, four times for Hanyu. And if we look at the actual TES marks, save for Hanyu's free skates from NHK and GPF, they were all under 105 so still kind of close to the maximum of 100 you can get in PCS. If everyone received TES around 120 how Hanyu did in his last two performances, I could see the problem but so far Hanyu's marks are isolated case.

I am not saying that this issue should not be addressed or discussed but I still don't think it's as hot as it looks like.

Last edited:

europe

Spectator
Unforgettable grand prix: impressive performances, heat atmoshere, new World record, some skaters at his best, new talents, comeback Chan...we can t ask for anything.

I love Barcelona s crowd! So warm, keen and supportive with every skater. I think ISU has found a wonderful place for grand prix. I d love a third GP next year there.