Why Not Synchro? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Why Not Synchro?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
My opinion on this topic is that why shouldn't there be synchronised skating in the Winter Olympics when there is synchronised swimming in the Summer Olympics. There's normal swimming events and the synchronised so why not have the same thing for ice skating?

*heavy sigh*

Because what the synchro community is militantly demanding is that the IOC add at least 120 extra athletes to the Olympic Games - MORE THAN THE OTHER FOUR DISCIPLINES COMBINED - at a time when the IOC is trying to reduce the size of the Olympics, or at least not expand it any further. Once again: which sport are you proposing gets kicked out of the Olympics to make room for synchro?

TGee

Record Breaker
My opinion on this topic is that why shouldn't there be synchronised skating in the Winter Olympics when there is synchronised swimming in the Summer Olympics. There's normal swimming events and the synchronised so why not have the same thing for ice skating?

Wondering if you are aware of how the IOC keeps the numbers down for syncho swimming. Very few countries can send teams. Only one team per "continent", and there is stiff competition for the three remaining floater spots.

The entire hemisphere of the Americas is allocated one team. And this year, since the event was Rio, Brazil automatically got the sole hemispheric slot because it was host country....Not that Brazil shouldn't have been represented, but most Canadians feel strongly that our team should have been there too...

Here's a high profile documentary"Perfect" on the issue that will be rebroadcast on November 3rd...

http://www.cbc.ca/firsthand/episodes/perfect

the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkT32XY8-q8

http://calgaryherald.com/entertainm...-and-demanding-world-of-synchronized-swimming

And a news story...

http://www.tsn.ca/canada-fails-to-qualify-for-rio-olympics-in-synchronized-swimming-1.449110

If this is what it would mean to bring synchro skating to the Olympics, in my view it could be worse than not having it...

NaVi

Medalist
The only way Synchro gets into the Olympics is if the Olympics is either held at the same place every year or it rotates between 3 cities(Asia, Europe, North America). It's much easier to plan for the extra athletes that way rather than every 4 years.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The only way Synchro gets into the Olympics is if the Olympics is either held at the same place every year or it rotates between 3 cities(Asia, Europe, North America). It's much easier to plan for the extra athletes that way rather than every 4 years.

I have heard that suggestion before and I don't really understand it. I guess if you already have the infrastructure built it would be easier? The problem would be to maintain that infrastructure for 4 years. Most Olympic venues have fallen into complete disrepair because the countries have already gone deeply into debt just hosting the Olympics and have no money to maintain the venues. Also, I think it would be boring. And not every sport can be in the Olympics. I can think of some I'd cut, but they're summer sports, and the participants surely wouldn't like it.

As for USFS not advertising synchro, the entire Skating magazine this year was pretty much devoted to synchro.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ahhh yes, this thread was my most hated discussion on GS back in 2015, and I still hate it to this day. Groan.

It’s not necessarily in regards to what some of you are saying, as many valid points have been made, just sprinkled with snarly comments about how synchro is just for skaters who can’t ever get beyond a double axel; skaters with no chance of competing at “regular” worlds, or just weak arguments about how they suck.

Rather, my anger is directed towards the massive kerosene loaded dumpster fire that is the IOC, AND the various tiers of corrupt government, spending billions of dollars to build brand new sporting venues in the chosen hosts cities, displacing the impoverished locals, who never asked for the Olympics in the first place.

NaVi

Medalist

Taking after Rugby 7s, they're creating a reduced 12-person competitive category in an attempt to make Synchro more palpable to the IOC.

I think that it will still be a very uphill battle. I think the best hope is for hosts to actually lobby the IOC to include synchro like with baseball/softball. And maybe if you string along enough hosts that want it it could be made permanent.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My bets are on it not happening until the olympics become an event that only takes place in a few places where new facilities won't have to be rebuilt all the time. Countries will only have to pay for athletes and not facilities. Even with Elite 12 this will be the only way unless we want more countries going bankrupt the way Rio did just for a sports event that doesn't have to take place in all the wild places it does. What's special about the Olympics (to most athletes) is NOT the location, it's the exclusivity.