Interaction of attendance in the US. | Golden Skate

Interaction of attendance in the US.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I see not many of us are going to Nats....but quite a few to worlds.....some went to SA Milwaukee and probably a very few will go to TeamChallange.
Since many of us go to school or have a job and a family, I assume many here who go to events had to make choices, if they could attend events at all.
Did having worlds here this season effect your choice on attending SA or nats? I know that many hard core fans I see at almost every event are not going
to TeamChallenge...they did SA, will do Nats and Boston......I am doing team challege cause it looks like a fun event and its only 10 miles away.....

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I'm going to Team Challenge because it is close, and Spokane always does an outstanding job hosting figure skating events. I am going to Worlds because it is Worlds and it is in Boston, and the most incredible athletes will be there. I went to Skate Canada because it was closer than Skate America and I am just ridiculously blessed this season with the chance to see so many amazing skating events. I would not have attended Skate America or Nationals, regardless. Mainly because I very rarely fly to skating events, though the events are easier to miss because the locations have no special draw and the fields are largely composed of U.S. skaters I have seen relatively recently. (Though SA was totally blessed with the Chinese pairs this season, and I love watching the Shibutanis skate anywhere).

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'm going to Team Challenge because it is close, and Spokane always does an outstanding job hosting figure skating events. I am going to Worlds because it is Worlds and it is in Boston, and the most incredible athletes will be there. I went to Skate Canada because it was closer than Skate America and I am just ridiculously blessed this season with the chance to see so many amazing skating events. I would not have attended Skate America or Nationals, regardless. Mainly because I very rarely fly to skating events, though the events are easier to miss because the locations have no special draw and the fields are largely composed of U.S. skaters I have seen relatively recently. (Though SA was totally blessed with the Chinese pairs this season, and I love watching the Shibutanis skate anywhere).

I could have done SkateCanada and drove there, but I had never been to Milwaukee. I am glad I dont have to chose between Nats and Boston...nats is always a hoot....seven days of party hardy...and you can sit anywhere with your friends early in the week cause no one comes......but you are right...worlds is special....I really enjoyed Worlds LA.....

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I do think watching the novices and juniors at Nationals is a large part of what make the event special.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe I should ask this in the Stupid Questions thread, but here goes: Where is a thread that tells you that more of us are going to Worlds than Nationals?

I'm going to Nationals, partly because some of my favorites will be there but have only a slim chance of being at Worlds; and partly because I just loved being at Nationals last year; I want that experience again. I made a pro/con list and on that basis chose Nationals.

I would go to any figure skating event that was only 10 miles away. :)

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I had no desire to attend Skate America. I'm still on the fence about Worlds, since a good friend lives in Boston and I have free housing and car for the week... Yet he detests skating (he's a former dancing friend, which befuddles me). I'm okay with going alone to events, because I usually find fellow skatemates to hang with, but I dunno. I really detest this judging system, because it's not fair. I've just gotten used to finding the great performances on Youtube and be satisfied.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've been to Skate America three times, all when it either close to where I live or where a relative lives. I've been to Nationals many more times than that, to places as far away from the East Coast where I live as San Jose and Spokane. I've also gone to the JGP when it was in Lake Placid.

This year I am going to both Nationals and Worlds, since Worlds is in the US. I would love to go to the Team Challenge because Spokane was one of my favorite Nationals experiences, but Worlds was so expensive that I just don't have the $$ for another event this year and will probably have to forgo Nationals next year, too. I am flat broke!!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We're going to Worlds. As East Coasters, we're thrilled that Worlds is coming to Boston, a reasonable traveling distance for us. We'll take the train to get up there. Now that we are both retired, we try to get to US Nationals when it is on the East Coast. Ditto for Skate America if it comes to Reading, PA, or Southern NJ. Our first US nationals was in Philadelphia, PA (our hometown) in 1998. It was our "vacation" that year without the hotel bills! :love:

Layback11

Record Breaker
I went to SA because I have family there, and Nationals last year because I really wanted the live-skating experience but it was halfway through the season and 4CC, Worlds and WTT were all in Asia. I might go to Worlds because I don't know when it'll be in the US again, and I don't want to miss out, but as a west-coaster, Team Challenge Cup would be far easier. (I love Washington state and I would definitely pick that if I were going by location alone.) I've heard that Boston is a fun city, but how the heck am I supposed to go all touristy if I'm watching fifteen hours of skating? :laugh2:

I'm probably going to end up at Worlds because I would get to see more of my favorites than at TCC.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm going to Worlds because it may be the last time in North America for awhile. I'm not getting any younger and would not go to Europe or Asia to see Worlds. I did go to Boston in 2014 for Nats and enjoyed it. i'm anxiously awaiting the announcement of where it will be in 2017. I attended Skate Canada in 2006 because it was on Victoria Island - a place I love. My decision, besides the financial aspect, is the location. Worlds in Boston is an exception, but I live in California and don't want to brave snow and ice or a 9 hour flight to get there.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I had no desire to attend Skate America. I'm still on the fence about Worlds, since a good friend lives in Boston and I have free housing and car for the week... Yet he detests skating (he's a former dancing friend, which befuddles me). I'm okay with going alone to events, because I usually find fellow skatemates to hang with, but I dunno. I really detest this judging system, because it's not fair. I've just gotten used to finding the great performances on Youtube and be satisfied.

Could the exhibition maybe be an option? Some people find it less objectionable then a competition, and you avoid the judging system, but get to go have fun.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I really love attending Nationals....so I will be in St. Paul. Worlds would be lovely, but just too expensive for me. Skate America might be on my list, if it is close enough to drive. To me, SA is not worth hundreds of dollars in air fare and transportation to and from airports.

I few years ago I was able to attend a part of Skate Canada when it was in Windsor, Ontario. Windsor is a place I can drive to fairly quickly.

In the summer I have been attending a large club competition at Detroit Skating Club....minimal cost and lots of skaters. This year I was also able to attend several days of Midwest Sectionals which was a lot of fun and minimal cost.

noskates

Record Breaker
One thing I wanted to mention - the ridiculous price that tour groups are charging these days. When we went to Nats in Boston in 2014 we had a hotel that was within walking distance of TD Gardens that had a small restaurant and bar. Perfect for breakfast and that after-competition cocktail. We went with a tour that we had been with many times before, got great seats, were in the front row for the gala (not a place I would recommend - it's cold and you can't see the ends of the rink so well) We signed up for Worlds with them and found out the same hotel with less days of competition than Nats was going to run us well over $1000 more than 2 years ago. The tickets were not that different in price but the hotel had supposedly quadrupled their fees.....(not to mention I'm sure the tour group had upped their profit considerably) So, we did it all on our own. Found a hotel on the train line, bought tickets through the Skating Club of Boston (significantly cheaper than the tour and the seats were comparable) and we're set. Unless you're in the nosebleed seats it's hard to get a bad seat at the Gardens. So anybody that's thinking about going to Worlds but think it's cost-prohibitive.....check it out before you give up! The train station is on the first floor of the Gardens and if you stay anywhere along the train line you don't have to pay the big bucks of a hotel downtown.

kwantumleap

Spectator
I went to Nats last year for the mens LP and EX in Boston and met my idol, Michelle. I will be going to worlds for the mens SP. I live in Boston, so I will be around all week. Is anyone planning a meal get together?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We're going to Worlds. As East Coasters, we're thrilled that Worlds is coming to Boston, a reasonable traveling distance for us. We'll take the train to get up there. Now that we are both retired, we try to get to US Nationals when it is on the East Coast. Ditto for Skate America if it comes to Reading, PA, or Southern NJ. Our first US nationals was in Philadelphia, PA (our hometown) in 1998. It was our "vacation" that year without the hotel bills! :love:

If Skate America comes to Reading, Philadelphia, or AC, I *promise* (you heard it here first) I will be there. :love:

I shouldn't even be on this thread, because the last events I attended were Champions on Ice shows at the Spectrum with Torvill & Dean as the headliners, so it has been some time since I saw an event live.:laugh: But I will say this: I will go to US Nats before Worlds, because I have more of a chance of seeing the skaters I like. Now if they can only arrange it to be across the street (well, there is a brand new rink three miles from me in Allentown I'll include that), they have one guaranteed sale.:dance:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I've been to 4 live skating events. They are, Skate America, Skate Canada, and 2 Worlds. I would really like to get back to a World Championship again. They leave such an impression on you. Tonya Harding got a well deserved, screaming standing ovation in Oakland in 1991 and she lit the place up was simply amazing. Worlds in 1999 as you all know is my favorite event of all time. Thank you Maria Butyrskaya. Worlds 2001 Michelle Kwan was Beautiful and received a huge ovation and Maria and Irina were close but, the biggest Ladies surprise was Sarah Hughes. She was still very young and I had paid ZERO attention to her until I saw her in Helsinki in 1999.

For Men, I was a never fan of Patrick Chan..That Rhymes..;) until I saw him live and WOW, is all I can say. I could never choose between the two but Patrick Chan and Plushy are BY FAR the best all around skaters I have ever seen. The best spinner is Todd Eldredge. The best performer was Alexei Yagudin. David Pelletier IMO was the best looking by a MILE. However, Eman was probably my students favorite skater because he looks like a member of a boy band.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My decision to attend Worlds in Boston is mostly one of geography - since I'm in NY and it's a 3+ hour train ride on the Acela from Penn Station. I didn't want to miss the opportunity to see many of the best skaters compete since I've never been to a live skating competition.

I also considered flying into Boston since the flights are about an hour, but having to get to the airport by car and get there early to go thru security and whatnot - I'm not really saving much time. I have some friends who are attending as well, so that was also part of the decision.

I would love to attend more live skating events/competitions but they don't seem to come to the tri-state area too often. I'm lucky that I got to attend the tree lighting skating event in Bryant Park this past week that featured Brian Boitano, Nancy Kerrigan, Johnny Weir and Davis/White.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
We are going to a couple events (not all) at Nats because it is in St. Paul. We went to SA this year and sort of have skating burnout....Boston might still be a possibility though.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm within a reasonable distance away, but two major things hold me back: 1) cost and 2) judging system and state of team USA. Even just recently I looked up single event tickets, only nosebleed seats (for ladies FS). Would like something better than that. And the all event premium tickets are > $1K. If that wasn't bad enough, it seems that a 4-night stay would add another $900 or so. So we're already at $2K and haven't even gotten to transportation and food. Just can't justify that kind of cost especially if we don't even have a gold medal contender.

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
If Skate America comes to Reading, Philadelphia, or AC, I *promise* (you heard it here first) I will be there. :love:

Are we related? LOL. I grew up in both Philly and AC, and I loved both Skate Americas in Reading and AC! I kind of wish that some of these skating events, especially Nationals would come to the South. It's much more enjoyable when the weather is warm and you aren't bundled up the entire time.